Boat names with a musical connection.

madcat

Featured Posts

Three Braidbars with musical names: Thomas Tallis, Mi Amigo (complete with a silhouette of the ship as artwork) and The Shouting End, which I understand is a folkie reference.

ETA: there used to be a boat called Will Power tied at Polesworth which always gave me an earworm for the Gary Puckett track. It was gone the other day when we passed through but, just as we passed her old mooring,what should come the other way but a boat called Young Girl, and off I went again.

Edited by BruceinSanity

ETA: there used to be a boat called Will Power tied at Polesworth which always gave me an earworm for the Gary Puckett track. It was gone the other day when we passed through but, just as we passed her old mooring,what should come the other way but a boat called Young Girl, and off I went again.

...and you could see Gary Puckett and the latest version of his group Union Gap sing both of them on his UK tour in November. He's coming over with Bill Medley (Righteous Brother). The only gig I know of is at the Wembley Arena but there may be others.

(Quote)? the Bowbelle was the boat responsible for the sinking of the Marchioness but not sure of a musical connection?(Unquote)

Fascinating remininscences - but do you really not detect a musical connection with bells?

Edited by Athy

I saw one on the Grand union called "Pappagena" (from Mozart The Magic flute) I think it belonged to Phil Gardiner who if i remember rightly used to run a hire fleet of boats all with names of Gilbert and Sullivan Characters.

(Quote)? the Bowbelle was the boat responsible for the sinking of the Marchioness but not sure of a musical connection?(Unquote)

Fascinating remininscences - but do you really not detect a musical connection with bells?

bells yes belle as in female no?

...and you could see Gary Puckett and the latest version of his group Union Gap sing both of them on his UK tour in November. He's coming over with Bill Medley (Righteous Brother). The only gig I know of is at the Wembley Arena but there may be others.

Yes I was alluding to the Bowbelle. mellow.png

I have no idea why my boat is called Heart of Gold, as there are two distinct sources. One musical, one literary.

Not because its got an improbability drive then? (Assuming that's the literary reference)

By accident Suzie Q has a musical reference (Dale Hawkins/Creedence Clearwater Revival) was not why we named her that.

Not because its got an improbability drive then? (Assuming that's the literary reference)

By accident Suzie Q has a musical reference (Dale Hawkins/Creedence Clearwater Revival) was not why we named her that.

Good track that ''Suzie Q'' although quite short.

Good track that ''Suzie Q'' although quite short.

One of those Blues/Rockabilly type tracks that get covered a lot. Stones did a version as well I believe.

"In the Mood" is moored near us at Mercia.

Edited by Suzie_q

A few years ago I saw Rain Dog and being a huge (and at the time a little drunk) Tom waits fan treated the owners to my best Tom impersonation and sang the song to them.

Seems though that they bought the boat with the name already on and kept it because their dog liked going for walks in the rain. Nice couple, they left very early the next morning...

"Far too many ........ "Rallentando"s, (sorry Lady Muck and Bullfrog for the latter, but there are!....)"

Oi ! Alan there are only 7, don't exaggerate, and 2 of those have only appeared since we named ours.

I'm thinking of re-naming my NB Comfortably Numb (my fav tune ever) when it gets a re-paint in a couple of years time, I know there are others but only a few (I saw the one Alan refer's to on the Weaver last week).

I realise the song is really about a druggie, LOL.

A few years ago I saw a Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (a Pinkl Floyd album) in Middlewich.

I innocently thought "numb" belonged to a retired dentist!

And "Piper" could just as well refer to a chapter in Wind in the Willows. More watery than musical.

Edited by Bullfrog

I took it to be a reference to Suzi Quatro, often abbreviated to Suzi Q...

Always wanted to fancy her when I was a yoof, but could never quite manage it. Her music always managed to just cross the line into popiness too, despite all the leather and attitude!

MtB

And there's a boat around called KASHMIR too, which I took to be a Led Zeppelin reference.

But it seems not! http://www.kashmir-arts.co.uk/about.html

MtB

I have seen a Jennifer Eccles - it was a few years ago so I am unsure if it is still around

There's one at Alvecote Marina

Our boat is called WoodStock- not sure if its a reference to the festival or the place - but its a great talking point- numerous people have asked if we were there- we would have both only been 1 if we had. We met a guy last week who was there!!! We also met a couple the same day who lived in WoodStock Avenue????

yes the Ross revenge was a ....

The Ross Revenge is now lying in dock at Tilbury and is busy being renovated. She has just had a new mast fitted, the old twin masts were declared unsafe and have been removed. They were cut up and are on sale as sections (I have bought one!).

Hamsterfan, this is not to contradict you in anyway as I have enormous repect for what you must have done whilst on those boats, having seen the conditions for myself!

I think the mast actually came down some weeks after the 1987 hurricane but it was the hurricane that had weakened the structure. I have some dvds that includes a lot of film of the mast falling and the subsequent aftermath if you are interested.

Euroseige was in 85/86 when, ironically, one of the 'spy' ships was the Gardline Tracker, an original sister ship to the Communicator. There was no boarding of the vessels at that time. Apparently someone had the shipping plans and knew when the survey ships had to go and refuel so that was when the radio ships were tendered!

The Dutch raid took place in 1989 by the tug Volans and much equipment was physically destroyed.

Caroline still broadcasts on satelitte although I think they stopped paying for the Sky 0199 EPG as the costs were very high. There are also internet streams too.

I took it to be a reference to Suzi Quatro, often abbreviated to Suzi Q...

Always wanted to fancy her when I was a yoof, but could never quite manage it. Her music always managed to just cross the line into popiness too, despite all the leather and attitude!

MtB

And there's a boat around called KASHMIR too, which I took to be a Led Zeppelin reference.

But it seems not! http://www.kashmir-arts.co.uk/about.html

MtB

Almost too much leather and not enough talent.....

Then again can you have too much leather......... (Dam did I say that out loud.....tongue.png .)

Always thought Kashmir was a literary reference, like a lot of Zeps songs.

Always thought Kashmir was a literary reference, like a lot of Zeps songs.

Not an Indian restaurant reference?

MtB, when you mention Suzi crossing the line into popishness, you mean she converted to catholicism?

thanks Geoff for the updates on the ross haven't really followed her much since the Goodwin sands and my memory isn't what it was on events and the exact dates it all happened but yes the conditions were fairly austere to say the least wasn't so bad on Communicator as she was in a lot better condition in fact when laser went off and became Atlantic 252 the ship went on to become another station (cant recall its name) glad the old girl is still being looked after and yes I've just looked on sky and the old 0199 is now channel unavailable. maybe time to put to sea again!! lol