Featured Posts

Good evening all!

A question. Does anyone know of a sawmills / timber merchant that would have some 11 x 2 or 12 x 2 timber in stock suitable for top planks? i've tried several but it seems i may have to get them machined........

Thank you in anticipation

Dan

Maybe too far but Honeystreet sawmills have been supplying to the canal for years.....<HERE>........and right on the side of the canal.

• 2 weeks later...

Some owners will construct what suits their needs not what's historical accurate. Don't assume folks don't know, in my case I don't care because I'm just a person with a boat. Halsall is doing the same job as my mates Springer not re creating the past. Bright green cabin,purple lettering and non trad decoration to follow. I have shares in the company that makes blood pressure tablets and await a small increase in sales.

Some owners will construct what suits their needs not what's historical accurate. Don't assume folks don't know, in my case I don't care because I'm just a person with a boat. Halsall is doing the same job as my mates Springer not re creating the past. Bright green cabin,purple lettering and non trad decoration to follow. I have shares in the company that makes blood pressure tablets and await a small increase in sales.

I have written on here countless times that owners of 'historic' narrow boats can do what they like with their boats, after all it is they who have bought them and they are simply adding to the history. I am sure it will make a refreshing change to see a 'historic' narrow boat in a personal livery, something that was very common in the 1970's - even if too many were based on some formation of red, yellow and green.

My observations of unconverted narrow boats not being fully equipped is just that, my observations. I also spend an awful lot of time talking to 'historic' narrow boat owners (including Ms. Madcat at the B.C.M. several years ago) and that is how I know that so many are unaware of the missing equipment and how / why to set a boat correctly / safely. As I have already stated in the last paragraph I have no real problem with what owners do, so a return on your pharmaceutical investments will not be bolstered by my blood pressure.

Oh Pete I'm disappointed my get rich quick scheme won't work,looks like if I want to make a living by the misery of others I will have to re train as a lawyer!

I have absolutely no recollection of ever talking to you at the BCM, I wouldn't know you if I fell over you although I'd heard of you from Phil Speight. I have a vague recollection that maybe you showed up at Dadfords when Halsall was incarcerated there last century but no memory of you. Are you sure you haven't got me mixed up with somebody else cos I certainly ain't a Ms just plain old Tiggy madcat.

Anyway now to boats,when I bought the beast it had no stands or quarters which didn't matter as I was quite happy to run around with an open boat while I caught up with getting essential steelwork done. The boat is now sound and its time now to keep the hold covered so I can use the space. Exactly how I go about this I have yet to determine but it will be a compromise . I need to come by a bit more ballast because I have to get under Burton bridge but chances are the end result will be similar to Saltaire.

I have absolutely no recollection of ever talking to you at the BCM, I wouldn't know you if I fell over you although I'd heard of you from Phil Speight. I have a vague recollection that maybe you showed up at Dadfords when Halsall was incarcerated there last century but no memory of you. Are you sure you haven't got me mixed up with somebody else cos I certainly ain't a Ms just plain old Tiggy madcat.

I am unable to find the actual date but it would have been at the B.C.M. working boat gathering in September, somewhere around 2000. On that occasion you provided me with your name (and that was not Ms. Madcat), and confirmed whom you had bought HALSALL from. I can even remember the location, on the waterfront behind the pub. Up until 2007 I used to visit Dadfords Shed quite frequently and indeed the incarcerated HALSALL is captured in the background of some of my photographs.

Edited by pete harrison

Anyway now to boats,when I bought the beast it had no stands or quarters which didn't matter as I was quite happy to run around with an open boat while I caught up with getting essential steelwork done. The boat is now sound and its time now to keep the hold covered so I can use the space. Exactly how I go about this I have yet to determine but it will be a compromise . I need to come by a bit more ballast because I have to get under Burton bridge but chances are the end result will be similar to Saltaire.

I travelled a short distance on HALSALL on 08 August 1994, from Batchworth to Watford in the company of my good friend Donald (The Duck) White. I even steered for a whilst Donald made the tea, a task Donald was happy to entrust me to as we had previously boated together when working as boatmen for the City of Birmingham council in the early 1980's - and I had only recently sold my large Woolwich pair. At that time HALSALL was painted in the second version of the 'British Waterways' livery and was fitted with beams, planks, mast, sidecloths (rolled away) and a cratch (I took some photographs on the day). As you say their were no stands but the cabin was fitted - and I seem to recall traditionally painted inside. Donald had done much of the woodwork and painting himself having recovered HALSALL in a bit of a bad way from Sawley in 1992 (photographed by me on 20 October 1990). Fortunately you have continued the renovation and I wish you well with its future maintenance and alterations.

Edited by pete harrison

Can you remember what colour the boat was, did you take any photos of it. We escaped Dadfords in autumn 1999 I think not looking especially smart but I have no memories of going to the BCM that year or of bumping into you this century. If you have a photo or two please start a thread and put them on here, I'm having memory and other problems and it might help. Halsall spent most of this century dark green but is currently parrot green. I think I may have painted one side of the cabin before leaving Dadfords.

Can you remember what colour the boat was, did you take any photos of it. We escaped Dadfords in autumn 1999 I think not looking especially smart but I have no memories of going to the BCM that year or of bumping into you this century. If you have a photo or two please start a thread and put them on here, I'm having memory and other problems and it might help. Halsall spent most of this century dark green but is currently parrot green. I think I may have painted one side of the cabin before leaving Dadfords.

HALSALL was not at the B.C.M. when we spoke. I recall HALSALL at Dadfords Shed being a combination of the fancy 'BW' livery and dark green. I think Ian Kemp was re-bottoming under the cabin. I will have to dig out my photographs (HALSALL is only in the background) but it may take some time as I have 1000's, literally.

HALSALL was certainly plain dark green - apart from the counter which had a cream top section - when I photographed it at Ellesmere Port on 20 April 2003. I photographed HALSALL again on 04 September 2003, this time at Les Allen's old yard at Oldbury, by which time it had acquired side cloths (tied flat across the planks).

• 3 weeks later...

Could it be worth talking to Pete Boyce at Braunston?

(I don't know the answer to that, other than he seems to source a loit of timbers from various places, but top planks I have no idea).

He made Chertsey's and I'm very pleased with them.