Something to consider if looking for a resi mooring

Rich

Featured Posts

Agreed.

Same effect occurs with people who have been fooled into buying pump-out WCs, Ecofans, Hudsons, unbreakable drill bits etc etc...

ninja.gif

MtB

Hi Mike

Ive sold mine know so am I allowed out of that club? blink.png

Tim

I was referenceing my comment in the other thread, where I proposed the term is allocated to fugly widebeams specifically!

smile.png

MtB

Ahh now I understand. I keep a narrowboat as a toilet block on my boat biggrin.png

Tim

There was nothing wrong with Rich's initial post, and in this day and age supplying only 6 amps for a residential mooring is ridiculous. No wonder he walked.

It wasn't his original post that was the problem. It was his dismissive condemnation of the replies offering solutions to the low current power supply that upset peeps.

MtB

Hi all thanks for your comments,and humour.. dry and reconstituted!!ninja.gif Mmmm know about separation thing which is similar to a cassette loo i guess.Just thought as macerator broken on boat Im buying, could reconsider what system as may need to replace whole loo anyway.Also if i got rid of tank id free up some storage space! Additionally lack of mechanics is appealing, as one less thing to worry about!Perhaps I'll rethink.....

It wasn't his original post that was the problem. It was his dismissive condemnation of the replies offering solutions to the low current power supply that upset peeps.

MtB

But I didn't want suggestions as to how the problem could be overcome, I had the solution and I would suggest that the solutions offered weren't really all that clever,

I realise that others might find the suggestions useful, such as remove the perfectly good inverter and battery charger we have and buy a device which costs in excess of £1000 and presumably would give the batteries and good going over whilst on moorings, supplying the power the hook-up couldn't. I really did think that one was wonderful.

Or try it without a hook-up at all. We do, for six or seven months a year but when on moorings we like to be able to use the cheap electric power available and reduce the gas consumption as bottled gas is expensive. We also like to be able to run the washing machine and tumble drier without running the engine, but not together. (Huh, shiney boaters.)

Other suggestions such as lower power kettles etc. were certainly alternatives but not, as far as we were concerned desirable.

In my opinion anyone who supplies residential moorings of whatever type should point out to prospective suckers customers that the power supply is very limited. Just my opinion but my original post was aimed at anyone who might not have considered the possibility.

But I didn't want suggestions as to how the problem could be overcome, I had the solution and I would suggest that the solutions offered weren't really all that clever,

I realise that others might find the suggestions useful, such as remove the perfectly good inverter and battery charger we have and buy a device which costs in excess of £1000 and presumably would give the batteries and good going over whilst on moorings, supplying the power the hook-up couldn't. I really did think that one was wonderful.

Or try it without a hook-up at all. We do, for six or seven months a year but when on moorings we like to be able to use the cheap electric power available and reduce the gas consumption as bottled gas is expensive. We also like to be able to run the washing machine and tumble drier without running the engine, but not together. (Huh, shiney boaters.)

Other suggestions such as lower power kettles etc. were certainly alternatives but not, as far as we were concerned desirable.

In my opinion anyone who supplies residential moorings of whatever type should point out to prospective suckers customers that the power supply is very limited. Just my opinion but my original post was aimed at anyone who might not have considered the possibility.

A very good post.

Tim

But I didn't want suggestions as to how the problem could be overcome,

But once you start a thread in an open forum it stops being about what you want. It becomes a discussion and, in this case, the discussion stayed more or less on topic with some useful suggestions for boaters in general, if not for you.

If all you wanted to do was make an announcement, with no subsequent discussion, then a discussion forum is the wrong place to do it.

But I didn't want suggestions as to how the problem could be overcome,

But lucky for you, some very considerate posters were willing to use their time and experience, just in case you should change your mind in the future!

But once you start a thread in an open forum it stops being about what you want. It becomes a discussion and, in this case, the discussion stayed more or less on topic with some useful suggestions for boaters in general, if not for you.

If all you wanted to do was make an announcement, with no subsequent discussion, then a discussion forum is the wrong place to do it.

On topic? What topic?

But lucky for you, some very considerate posters were willing to use their time and experience, just in case you should change your mind in the future!

I assume you forgot the smiley symbol.

On topic? What topic?

Managing on a low current hook-up.

You may have started the topic, said your bit, warned the world of the evils of 6 amp hook-ups and said your bit but you can't dictate where other contributors take the discussion.

If you're chatting in the pub and the conversation strays from your original point do you insist everybody gets back to talking about what you wanted to say?

Managing on a low current hook-up.

You may have started the topic, said your bit, warned the world of the evils of 6 amp hook-ups and said your bit but you can't dictate where other contributors take the discussion.

If you're chatting in the pub and the conversation strays from your original point do you insist everybody gets back to talking about what you wanted to say?

I didn't mention managing on a low current hook-up, or warned the world of the evils contained therein. I just said it was something to consider when booking a mooring if you liveaboard.

You may have all the discussions you wish (opening there for a cutting remark) but it doesn't alter the fact that most of the suggestions were difficult to take seriously. I have the suspicion they weren't meant to be taken seriously.

I didn't mention managing on a low current hook-up, or warned the world of the evils contained therein. I just said it was something to consider when booking a mooring if you liveaboard.

You may have all the discussions you wish (opening there for a cutting remark) but it doesn't alter the fact that most of the suggestions were difficult to take seriously. I have the suspicion they weren't meant to be taken seriously.

Stop being silly.

You have alerted the world to the potential that if you don't check some very basic aspects of your electrical requirements you may have a problem.

post one did that.

Everything else was a related discussion that often was posted with the aim of helping you and any other boaters.

The fact that you were too lazy or poorly prepared to properly check such a basic aspect of your intended mooring has indeed served as a warning to others.

Edited by The Dog House

No cutting remark.

If you don't want your opening post to create a discussion leading to some useful suggestions, humourous suggestions and even silly ones I suggest you set up a website and post your musings there, with no facility to reply.

I'm not sure you have fully grasped the concept of a discussion forum.

Im suprised you even have a microwave, we certainly do not and never will.

I'm surprised that nobody has suggested using an 800 watt microwave oven for boiling water..............