Okay, Mabel, now what's going on?

Featured Posts

who said i was going to bugger about with it, this mornings question was merely the random thoughts of at that stage a baffled and greasy monkey.

i know my limits as far as spannering is concerned, on the other hand, tree advice freely given from a position of confidence, knowledge and experiencecool.png

I was pre-empting you being tempted to follow Bizzard's advice. Just in case, you know

Richard

I reckon its berry droppings too, running off the roof, puddling and falling in the engine bay. It really pigged it down when I was moored near you the other week.

we did have a chat about this but what berry's? its the wrong time of year and she is moored under a goat willow, catkins aplenty but no berry's

I was pre-empting you being tempted to follow Bizzard's advice. Just in case, you know

Richard

.greatly though i do value Bizzards sage advice, i am too much of a coward to ever follow it

I am as baffled as BSP about this, it will be fascinating to find out what it is, if we ever do of course

we did have a chat about this but what berry's? its the wrong time of year and she is moored under a goat willow, catkins aplenty but no berry's

.greatly though i do value Bizzards sage advice, i am too much of a coward to ever follow it

I am as baffled as BSP about this, it will be fascinating to find out what it is, if we ever do of course

It's fruitbat sh*t
  • Greenie 1

I know not how old your boat is, but can I make this suggestion. When the shell is fabricated and to test the welds, a red dye is oft used. This tends to accumulate in the seams and corners. Many moons later, if water is introduced, this can leach out the residue and you end up with pink/red water. Nothing to worry about.

Probably way off, but just a thought!

detective.gif

If I've interpreted the photos correctly, the fluid is a clear red liquid and the engine bay is covered (i.e. dark)? If it was red algae the fluid would be turbid, not clear and, erm, red algae are photosynthetic and so need light to grow. So I think it's unlikely to be red algae (a quick peep down a microscope would show whether or not it's a micro-organism).

... which comes back to out-of-season berry juice or fruit bat doings (or some other source, or sauce, of red colourant) ...

Edited by Graham!

Hi,

Vaguely remembering my microbiology it could be serratia marcesens - have a look at Wikipedia. A red coloured organism considered to be the

source of 'blood' flowing from religous icons.. Try growing it on a slice of bread, just smear some on (only a small blob) & keep moist.

Cheers

MEG

Hi,

Vaguely remembering my microbiology it could be serratia marcesens - have a look at Wikipedia. A red coloured organism considered to be the

source of 'blood' flowing from religous icons.. Try growing it on a slice of bread, just smear some on (only a small blob) & keep moist.

Cheers

MEG

Is it nicer than Marmite?

Richard

that wouldn't be hard

Hi, Vaguely remembering my microbiology it could be serratia marcesens - have a look at Wikipedia. A red coloured organism considered to be the source of 'blood' flowing from religous icons.. Try growing it on a slice of bread, just smear some on (only a small blob) & keep moist. CheersMEG

Erm... Hope not, Monkey tasted it!

Wiki quote...

In humans, S. marcescens can cause infection in several sites, including the urinary tract, respiratory tract, wounds,[3] and the eye, where it may cause conjunctivitis, keratitis, endophthalmitis, and tear duct infections.[6] It is also a rare cause of endocarditis and osteomyelitis (particularly in people who use intravenous drugs recreationally), pneumonia, and meningitis.[2][3] Most S. marcescens strains are resistant to several antibiotics because of the presence of R-factors, which are a type of plasmid that carry one or more genes that encode resistance; all are considered intrinsically resistant to ampicillin, macrolides, and first-generation cephalosporins (such as cephalexin).[2]

Erm... Hope not, Monkey tasted it!

Wiki quote...

In humans, S. marcescens can cause infection in several sites, including the urinary tract, respiratory tract, wounds,[3] and the eye, where it may cause conjunctivitis, keratitis, endophthalmitis, and tear duct infections.[6] It is also a rare cause of endocarditis and osteomyelitis (particularly in people who use intravenous drugs recreationally), pneumonia, and meningitis.[2][3] Most S. marcescens strains are resistant to several antibiotics because of the presence of R-factors, which are a type of plasmid that carry one or more genes that encode resistance; all are considered intrinsically resistant to ampicillin, macrolides, and first-generation cephalosporins (such as cephalexin).[2]

don't worry about me pud................cough, splutter

i will be fine...............................wracking cough

just happy your engine is ok........................faints.

• Greenie 1

There are many pink/red coloured microbes out there to choose from such as algae, fungi (including yeast) and many different bacteria.

However, do not fear ... if the pictures are correct, your red fluid is as clear as Ribena. Microbial growth will result in cloudy liquids, not clear. So very unlikely to be a micro-organism. ... back to Fruit bat poo and tiger blood ....

(Smelly's red bathroom stain is more likely to be bacterial than algal ... http://voices.yahoo.com/what-pink-film-bathroom-4271605.html, http://www.mtvewater.com/forms/Pink%20Slime.pdf, http://www.eweb.org/public/documents/water/avoidingPinkStain.pdf)

Edited by Graham!

Graham thankyou for that interesting link. I am so glad Halsall doesn't have a bathroom to fester. We get the pink stuff at home, I declared war on it but its an ongoing battle.

What's the best thing to kill it,I use hot water and detergent and regular trips through the wash machine for the shower curtain. We get green algae in odd places too,sink over flow is one.that gets nuked with bleach,not Eco friendly but it works. Our bathroom is hot and sometimes contains plants.

Graham thankyou for that interesting link. I am so glad Halsall doesn't have a bathroom to fester. We get the pink stuff at home, I declared war on it but its an ongoing battle.

What's the best thing to kill it,I use hot water and detergent and regular trips through the wash machine for the shower curtain. We get green algae in odd places too,sink over flow is one.that gets nuked with bleach,not Eco friendly but it works. Our bathroom is hot and sometimes contains plants.

Hi,

I struggled for a couple of years to eliminate/control a reddish 'growth' around the kitchen sink area. Eventually decided to climb into the 21st

century and bought some Dettol anti-bacterial surface cleanser - magic, all gone after a couple or three sprays over a week, give it a spray about

once a week now & no recurrence.

Cheers

HH

Madcat - just like Harpur Hill mentioned, try a regular clean down with an anti-bacterial disinfectant (none are particularly eco-friendly in that they're designed to kill bugs). Also, try to maintain some form of ventilation to get the area properly dry whenever possible (but if you've got plants it'll probably be quite humid most of the time). I don't know what temperature your shower curtain will withstand, but a steam cleaner might work and be eco-friendly ... less environmentally friendly, and provided the curtain can take it, maybe try something like soaking it in a bowl of dilute bleach.