Okay, Mabel, now what's going on?

Featured Posts

I know you said the antifreeze is blue but have you checked the level?

The level will always appear constant because it tops up automatically from the header tank, which in turn tops up automatically via a cistern-like valve, from the main water supply.

The level will always appear constant because it tops up automatically from the header tank, which in turn tops up automatically via a cistern-like valve, from the main water supply.

can you disable the cistern-like valve for diagnostic purposes?

Or just clean the bilge again biggrin.png

I have been Reading this along thé canal today.

1 It is not diesel, 2. Not glykol 3. not brakefluid

If it was brake fluid the brake pedal Will feel soft and spongie.

It can be pollen or Sahara desert sand, dont laugh!

That come down with rain water. Or red dirt from your shoes

Diesel smell like diesel, glykol like sweet.

Jan

Edited by Dalslandia

Ok gents, I have survived this mornings bilge dive and seen the red tide for my self, my conclusions are.

It's not diesel, no smell at all

It's not anti freeze, no sweet taste

It's not vital engine fluids of any sort

There are many small weeps of diesel from joints around the Eber diesel feed and fuel filter, I will try and sort those when BSP has got the filters for an engine service but nothing to worry about.

The only guess I have and this is a major shot in the dark is what sort of lube, if any, is used in the rubber boot on the Aquadrive and might that have leaked?

As I say it's a shot in the dark and tbh I doubt it but anyone?

If I am honest I think something has got into the darkest depths of Mabel's bilge that contains some sort of red dye and this is what we are seeing, the fact that whatever it is has dried on the oil pad and not soaked in sort of points in that direction

Anyway over to the more mechanical minded bods on the forum, anyone needs some questions about trees answering, I feel far more qualified for those sort of querys

Cheers

The Aquadrive units incorporate two Constant velocity joints, same as most cars use on their drive shafts these days. The grease in them is special for CV joints ''CV join grease'' and is a dark grey colour ''or should be. To check its colour remove or snip off a rubber gaiter-boot retaining clip, the larger one would be best and just pull the boot off the joint carefully and you will see the grease. The boot clip which you have snipped off with side cutters is usually metal but sometimes plastic cable ties are used. A plastic cable tie can be used as a replacement clip.

The rings of Allen head socket screws which hold the joints together have a habit of coming loose, the threads of these are often treated with ''Thread lock compound'' which is sometimes coloured red depending on the make, but any excess of this would have set hard and I doubt would have dripped down.

The Aquadrive units incorporate two Constant velocity joints, same as most cars use on their drive shafts these days. The grease in them is special for CV joints ''CV join grease'' and is a dark grey colour ''or should be. To check its colour remove or snip off a rubber gaiter-boot retaining clip, the larger one would be best and just pull the boot off the joint carefully and you will see the grease. The boot clip which you have snipped off with side cutters is usually metal but sometimes plastic cable ties are used. A plastic cable tie can be used as a replacement clip.

The rings of Allen head socket screws which hold the joints together have a habit of coming loose, the threads of these are often treated with ''Thread lock compound'' which is sometimes coloured red depending on the make, but any excess of this would have set hard and I doubt would have dripped down.

The thrust bearing block attached at the rear end of the Auadrive and fixed at either side by rubber bushes and nuts and bolts to the the boats cross frame may well have a red coloured bearing grease in it, check around it for signs of grease having oozed out.

Edited by bizzard

Ok gents, I have survived this mornings bilge dive and seen the red tide for my self, my conclusions are.

It's not diesel, no smell at all

It's not anti freeze, no sweet taste

It's not vital engine fluids of any sort

There are many small weeps of diesel from joints around the Eber diesel feed and fuel filter, I will try and sort those when BSP has got the filters for an engine service but nothing to worry about.

The only guess I have and this is a major shot in the dark is what sort of lube, if any, is used in the rubber boot on the Aquadrive and might that have leaked?

As I say it's a shot in the dark and tbh I doubt it but anyone?

If I am honest I think something has got into the darkest depths of Mabel's bilge that contains some sort of red dye and this is what we are seeing, the fact that whatever it is has dried on the oil pad and not soaked in sort of points in that direction

Anyway over to the more mechanical minded bods on the forum, anyone needs some questions about trees answering, I feel far more qualified for those sort of querys

Cheers

The 'photo of the residue on the pad looks very similar stuff I found in some disused holding tanks I had to clean out. It was some kind of algae according to my biologist mate, a bit like diesel bug? Preasure wash, with added bleach, and mop out sorted it.

Edit 'case Im having trouble taking (to) the tablet.

Edited by Taslim

Algae? Interesting. Could well be. I'm not gonna be able to pressure wash under the engine though because

A. It's under the engine and oil residue will get blasted all over the place

B. I don't have anything means to power a pressure washer

C. I don't have a pressure washer :P

But I'll give it all another really good clean out by hand. Is bleach safe to use in the engine bilge (doesn't react with potential chemicals or oils in there?) Or are there any alternative algae killing substances I can use when cleaning it out? Chances of getting into every nook under the engine is slim, ya see. Rain water will accumulate in there again when we next have a particularly heavy downfall too which may encourage more algae to come back again.

At least it's a pretty colour :)

Don't bugger about with the Aquadrive. It's brand new and contains black grease

Richard

who said i was going to bugger about with it, this mornings question was merely the random thoughts of at that stage a baffled and greasy monkey.

i know my limits as far as spannering is concerned, on the other hand, tree advice freely given from a position of confidence, knowledge and experiencecool.png

Algae? Interesting. Could well be. I'm not gonna be able to pressure wash under the engine though because

A. It's under the engine and oil residue will get blasted all over the place

B. I don't have anything means to power a pressure washer

C. I don't have a pressure washer tongue.png

But I'll give it all another really good clean out by hand. Is bleach safe to use in the engine bilge (doesn't react with potential chemicals or oils in there?) Or are there any alternative algae killing substances I can use when cleaning it out? Chances of getting into every nook under the engine is slim, ya see. Rain water will accumulate in there again when we next have a particularly heavy downfall too which may encourage more algae to come back again.

At least it's a pretty colour smile.png

It was the colour that reminded me.

The crud I cleared was just as in your 'photo.

As far as I am aware (Get out clauseclosedeyes.gif ) bleach, used in moderation, won't damage anything in the engine bilge. The fact that rain water is getting in sugests that it may be organic rather than engine/transmition leakage too.