Damned ducks!

John C

Featured Posts

Hi All

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop ducks crapping all over my boat? It would not be a problem if I could get to the boat more frequently but I cannot at the moment so consequently the stuff is on like its been welded and does the paintwork no good at all.

Part of the problem is people (boaters and civvies) feeding the ducks when the birds clearly do not need it. I think little can be done about these well meaning individuals, it also means shooting might be unpopular.

Is there something that could be placed on the boat such as a particular plant the ducks do not like and would discourage them?

Thanks

J.....

• Greenie 1

shotgun

first those that feed the ducks

then they cant complain when you shoot the ducks.

fine mesh streached across the roof like you put over fruit bushes may well also keep them off the roof

Edited by Loddon

They keep pigeons away with a fake owl or similar. Wonder if it would work for boats. Or hang a dead duck up? tongue.png (joking).

I have seen dead rats / mice hung up before on farms!

The makers of plastic owls specifically mention boats in their advertising. Dead anything hanging up does not deter others. For it to deter others they would need an intelligence equal to (and perhaps greater than some) humans. For example humans being caught and imprisoned doesn't seem to deter some humans.

In the "old days" when you saw dead vermin hanging up it was the rat catcher/game keeper/farmer/who ever's way of advertising how efficient they were.

Out of interest, what colour is your boat/roof?

There is a theory that birds will shit in areas away from where they hang out, I have a friend who lives by the coast and some of the houses are blue tiled. This appears to minimise air raids.

We don't get much but our neighbour on a black boat is under constant siege.

An extremely interesting observation, if any one tries colour as a deterrent I would be interested to hear the results.

Remember if you are using colour that birds eye sight is very complex and many diurnal birds see Ultra Violet light as well as what we consider the visible spectrum which has a bearing on how they would perceive the colour.

Try going through Southall where there seems to be a limited ability to read . . . see my rant on http://takefiveboat.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/paddington.html

Hi All

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop ducks crapping all over my boat? It would not be a problem if I could get to the boat more frequently but I cannot at the moment so consequently the stuff is on like its been welded and does the paintwork no good at all.

Part of the problem is people (boaters and civvies) feeding the ducks when the birds clearly do not need it. I think little can be done about these well meaning individuals, it also means shooting might be unpopular.

Is there something that could be placed on the boat such as a particular plant the ducks do not like and would discourage them?

Thanks

J.....

Many thanks for all the replies, I'll try some fine mesh, I've got an old pond net here that would do and maybe some windmills.

I would like to see feeding the little b*****ds banned, people turn up with huge bagfuls of feed, chuck it in by the handful, it gets to the point were the birds ignore the food because they are so full! Not becuase they are sick as one one sadly misguided individual explained to me at great length.

This is turning into a rant, sorry, I'll go and get the net ready.

John

Don't waste your money on a plastic owl.Yes they have used them on Offshore Platforms like the add said, but they don't work there ether.

They won't work on offshore platforms because exhausted birds have no choice but to rest on the platform. There are records of real owls (also other birds of prey) sharing platforms with many small birds.