water proofs?

Featured Posts

A wide brimmed hat (like a bushmans) waterproof trousers that go over your boots, and a lightweight waterproof jacket, on top of whatever else I am wearing, is what I use.

Many people swear by spending big bucks on waterproof gear and really rate it, but the sum total for all of the above came to under £30, hangs comfortably on the back of my door, and has always done me well against the rain.

One thing I do think is worth investing in is good quality waterproof gloves though. All sorts of gloves claim to be waterproof, but in reality, nothing under £15 minimum (not even ski gloves or motorbike gloves) reliably are, in my experience. And having cold, wet hands is fecking miserable and makes everything harder.

I used some motorbike waterproofs on my way along the K&A last month and on the Severn. They were really good and kept me dry.

The only problem is when you have to get off the boat to do some locks. Then you sweat and get wet from the inside.

I've never found that any of these so-called "breathable" waterproofs actually work in practice - not for me anyway.

After getting soaked to the skin for two days, what does everyone else recommend to keep yourself dry?

(yes. Holiday time and neither of us packed a coat)

We have large waterproof capes which we got from an Army & Navy surplus store many years ago. Extra care needs to be taken at the locks when wearing them.

Steve

People usually laugh at us, but in the really wet stuff, we wear full-on yottie gear, Mr. Musto's finest.

We have several sets from the sailing we have done over the years.

(I get slightly annoyed at people who laugh at a set of oilies that have been round the Fastnet three times - total lack of respect!!)

Otherwise, it is just an old fashioned anorak (are we allowed to call them that nowadays?)

I do tend to wear my Musto Sea Boots though whenever it gets dampish - they are brilliant in the wet and really grippy on everything other than green slime.

• Greenie 1

Reminds me of my first boating holiday, didn't expect the rain when it came so my trainers were in danger of getting a good soaking, but its marvellous what you can do with a couple of supermarket carrier bags with their ends tucked up your trouser legs :-)

Seen the light since and always carry waterproofs and boots now. Rubber coated gloves keep the hands nice and dry. Other than that sit in the pub and have a drink.

a old leather jacket from the charity shop can make a good all round hard wearing work coat , waterproof and easy on movement , they dont tend to need a deal of care and appear a bit mold proof ??.

the builders yellow leggings and tops tend to be fairly cheap , you can get them seperate and the orange work gloves that arnt water proof as such , but your wet hands fingers tend to still grip wet steel etc .

the builders kits ive seen the jacket rolled up and tucked inside the hood and the leggings rolled up like a sausauge roll and a strap round the pair , easy to store and handy to get at .

the main thing is , if you get wet you tend to get cold and perhaps not feeling to happy about your condition its a lot easier to loose yr concentration so i guess it might keep you warm dry happy and safe , to select your uk summer kit and dont forget the sun cream just in case

I have never looked back since buying an all in one Musto drysuit, waterproof boots and sealskin gloves.

I may look a complete tit but I have been out for 10 hours in pouring rain (doing RYA training days!) and been bone dry.

I'm a fan of Paramo, bloody pricey but it'll last and can be re waterproofed with nicwax.

I've yet to find a pair of boots that offer both waterproofness and grippyness so for now I will carry on wearing my Christian Laboutin 8" heels.

A wide brimmed hat (like a bushmans) waterproof trousers that go over your boots, and a lightweight waterproof jacket, on top of whatever else I am wearing, is what I use.

Many people swear by spending big bucks on waterproof gear and really rate it, but the sum total for all of the above came to under £30, hangs comfortably on the back of my door, and has always done me well against the rain.

One thing I do think is worth investing in is good quality waterproof gloves though. All sorts of gloves claim to be waterproof, but in reality, nothing under £15 minimum (not even ski gloves or motorbike gloves) reliably are, in my experience. And having cold, wet hands is fecking miserable and makes everything harder.

I knew someone who was around to see the beginning of modern waterproof clothing as a member of the RAF mountain rescue team in the highlands. His training used to involve spending a lot of time walking and climbing in very wet and cold conditions. After he retired from the RAF he opened a high end walking and climbing equipment shop so by the time I got to know him in the nineties he had followed the development of modern outdoor clothing from the beginning.

He told me something about breathable fabrics that makes a great deal of sense to me. The most common (and expensive) breathable fabric works on vapour differential. If the atmosphere inside the clothing is very humid (wearer working hard and generating heat and sweat) and the outside air is dry, then the moist vapour will pass through the breathable fabric easily. So breathable fabrics work very well in cold dry conditions. The wearer stays dry, despite being fairly sweaty (and if they are wearing wicking base and mid layers).

However in rain, mist, fog, etc breathable fabrics don't work anywhere near as well because the vapour differential is vastly reduced. In cases where it is as wet outside as it is inside, the moisture will not cross the vapour barrier at all so the wearer simply "sweats up" as though they are wearing cheap non-breathable fabrics.

Summary......Breathable fabrics are good at keeping you dry when used as an outer wind proof layer in dry weather, but nowhere near as good at keeping you dry when the atmosphere is wet. You aren't getting wet from the rain coming in (unless the seams are leaking). You are getting wet because the sweat you are creating is staying inside your clothing.

How does this apply to boating?

If you are working hard on a flight of locks in the rain you are going to sweat up inside your waterproof layer whether it is expensive or cheap.

If you are working the locks in dry weather your expensive breathable waterproofs will help to keep you dry even if you are sweating.

If you are doing a lot of steering, so not generating a lot of sweat, cheap waterproof clothing will work just as well as expensive modern fabrics.

I guess you pays your money and takes your choice

Waiting for the howls of protest from the "posh clothing and proud of it" brigade now cool.png

• Greenie 1

If you are working the locks in dry weather your expensive breathable waterproofs will help to keep you dry even if you are sweating.

Am I missing something here? Why would anybody be wearing waterproofs in dry weather? (My Bold)

I use the Guy Cotton range - as used by trawlermen - if it's good enough for them then it should be able to cope with anything the canals can throw at us.. Combination of Bib & Brace and a smock. Bright yellow, and you look like a banana with arms and legs but they work.

Chris

Ex Navy or RAF Goretex jackets and trousers.

Available from surplus stores at very reasonable prices.

When it really, really tips it down I have an RN foul weather jacket, made out of material that' supposed to be sweaty, but it isn't.

None of them look good - but they do the job. Dry out quickly in the engine room after use.