BCN gauging

Featured Posts

Good morning all!

I have a question regarding gauging which I hope can be answered with relative ease.

BCN 1645's gauging sheet has her extreme width measured at 7' 1". Where would this be measured?

The reason I ask is that at the front beam, where the guards finish, she measures 7' 4", to the extremes of the guards. Now the beam has never moved, and the hull doesn't look to have spread, so was the gauging gunnel to gunnel, or is something amiss?

Regards,

Dan

They could have used 'moulded breadth' which is the breadth across the outside of the frames. To this, it would be necessary to add the thickness of plating and rubbing strakes to get the full width.

Good morning all!

I have a question regarding gauging which I hope can be answered with relative ease.

BCN 1645's gauging sheet has her extreme width measured at 7' 1". Where would this be measured?

The reason I ask is that at the front beam, where the guards finish, she measures 7' 4", to the extremes of the guards. Now the beam has never moved, and the hull doesn't look to have spread, so was the gauging gunnel to gunnel, or is something amiss?

Regards,

Dan

Having transcribed three sets of B.C.N. Company gauge registers I am of the opinion that the recorded length and beam measurements are not exact, even though they are recorded to increments of ¼''. This is most evident on "amended tables" where a boat is re-weighed and the measurements differ from those on the earlier table, even though it is a boat with a known history that has not had its hull structurally altered. I am confident that the only measurements that really mattered were the dry side / freeboard which were measured to hundredths of an inch and were used to calculate tonnage and toll charges.