Convection Stoves and heat circulation

JLees

Featured Posts

Entirely possible that I'm getting my currents in a twist, but might not a convection (or convector) stove be a solution to the much discussed problem on how to shunt warm air up and down the cabin, and stop all the heat gathering at head height ? Any thoughts, experiences?

Yep but, he says hopefully, the blurb on the box implies these stoves channel the cold air from the bottom and then out the top.... promoting air circulation as it were (?)

Yep but, he says hopefully, the blurb on the box implies these stoves channel the cold air from the bottom and then out the top.... promoting air circulation as it were (?)

You'll find that all stoves work on a similar principle, - - if you want the hot air to be lower in your boat - then fit a couple of 12v PC fans at ceiling height, and angle them down!

Heated air rises and then when it cools falls.... convection

Heat the air and use a fan, to push the air further into the space being heated is more efficient for heat transfer but again the heated air rises and the falls when cooled. Still convection but fan assisted.

Hi

I would recommend an " Eco Fan " they are known to move vast amounts of air around the cabin keeping an even temerature throughout any size of boat. The latest models come ready mounted on a chocolate plinth which dramaticaly aids air circulation.

Tim

Hi

I would recommend an " Eco Fan " they are known to move vast amounts of air around the cabin keeping an even temerature throughout any size of boat. The latest models come ready mounted on a chocolate plinth which dramaticaly aids air circulation.

Tim

But you need to provide a special bespoke fire-guard for those!

Here's a link to a forum where I reckon a lot of sense is being talked, would seem to back up the notion that convector stoves might be pretty useful and also deal with the eternal problem that the 12v fan notion and the ecofan both rely on the counter intuitive notion of trying to displace cold air with warm! http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fan-in-the-stove-room-door-wow.79000/ and for what it's worth here's a link to what maybe a suitable fan (?) http://www.amazon.co.uk/12v-Delux-Oscillating-car-fan/dp/B002C2OINE/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

My experience of convection (from ordinary non-convection stoves) on narrowboats, is that the proportions of a narrowboat seem to restrict natural convection and the boat can get cold at the unheated ends even if the stove is located in the centre of the boat. I've only owned 1 narrowboat so perhaps this doesn't happen on all of them, but I've seen enough of these discussions on the forum over the years to know that it's a common problem. In contrast, my widebeam heats up from end to end very evenly and I think the width of the boat lends itself more readily to natural heat convection. Therefore, on a narrowboat perhaps a "convection stove" would help.

Edited by blackrose