Featured Posts

image_zpsce4e9619.jpg

Recently hired "Willow" from Chuggy at Middlewich Narrowboats for the experience of a speedwheel, Lister engine and trad stern with boatman's cabin and stove.

I made a short video of our trip which Chuggy has linked to his updated web site: http://www.middlewic....uk/videos.html

Older posts tended to suggest we might expect a rather "tired" boat. However a lot of work has clearly been done recently and overall we were very impressed and had a superb trip to just south of Market Drayton.

She has a nice sheer-line and tumblehome, so looks elegant, especially viewed from the stern. Her paint scheme is a nicely understated and some sign writing has been added in the last few days. She handles beautifully, probably due to long swims.

The Lister started easily even on frosty mornings as long as the throttle was cracked open and provided a relaxed rhythm missing from modern engines.

image_zps6d988f5d.jpg

The speedwheel throttle and separate gear change rod required a little anticipation but were somehow very satisfying to use.

Willow_17_zps170969a7.jpg

All soft furnishings were fresh and clean.

Willow_43_zps237f6183.jpg

The boatman's cabin is really special, with some excellent traditional painting - very cosy with it's stove which kept the helmsman toasty if the rear doors were closed.The supplied sack of coal lasted the whole week with some to spare.

The gas heater for radiators and hot water worked as advertised.

Chuggy has clearly worked hard to bring Willow up to standard whilst keeping her character and he is very open that there is still work to do. For example, he is considering separating the combined wet room style shower and loo. A second stove for the saloon is also a possibility.

So if you fancy hiring a boat with a speedwheel and vintage engine that handles very well and is full of character, do consider "Willow". (I was tempted to make an offer for her!laugh.png )

• Greenie 1

What a fantastic difference Chuggy has made to this boat since we hired her in 2009. Looking at your pictures I can hardly believe it is the same boat.

Well done Chuggy, I hope all your efforts are duly rewarded.

Edited by Ray T