Solar Panel mount

rbateman

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I'm just about to purchase two of these solar panels and was wondering whether anyone had any experience with mounting something similar on their roof and was able to recommend where best to get screw-down / secure mounts? I had a search through old posts and, while many discuss various options for securing solar panels or discuss building their own frames, no-one seems to have mentioned actually purchasing frames from a given site and how they found the experience of installing it (unless I missed a post somewhere).

Thanks as ever for any thoughts or experience.

Ryan

Hi all,

I'm just about to purchase two of these solar panels and was wondering whether anyone had any experience with mounting something similar on their roof and was able to recommend where best to get screw-down / secure mounts? I had a search through old posts and, while many discuss various options for securing solar panels or discuss building their own frames, no-one seems to have mentioned actually purchasing frames from a given site and how they found the experience of installing it (unless I missed a post somewhere).

Thanks as ever for any thoughts or experience.

Ryan

Not really a proper answer, but I would imagine that if you buy any sort of mount, you'll need to screw them into your boat roof. I have always thought that is something no one should ever contemplate, as it does leave room for leaking etc later on. Just a thought :) Many have top boxes, with solar panels as the tilted box roofs....if you search my recent threads, their was one about installing panels.....

I too havent seen an actual mount supplied by solar suppliers.

I bought similar panels from Midsummer Sun, who also supplied mounting brackets. The brackets are basically just bits of alloy angle - quite thick though.

I'll tr and find a picture.

ETA pics The brackets are fixed flat with tamperproof screws to reduce chance of them being lifted. Note brackets on the front corners to stop centre rope getting caught underneath.

bracket_zps00aa2c73.jpg

26Newsolarpanelred_zpsd42ef357.jpg

Edited by dor

I bought magnets too.. http://e-magnetsuk.com/magnet_products/clamping_magnets/car_roof_top_magnets.aspx

These guys do a range of mounting products http://www.trueshopping.co.uk/catalog/Mounting_Brackets/5580.html

I went for some simple angle shelving brackets from B+Q for £4, and drilled them for the magnets and for the panel (which hasnt got here yet)..

Edited by FidoDido

Mine's on little adjustable furniture legs from Homebase to lift it above the roof. Then there's a chain passing through hoes drilled in the panel frame and through the holes of a flying-saucer vent on the roof, under the centre of the panel. Plus a couple of heavy duty bike locks through the sides of the panel frame round the roof rails. Gives enough room for manoeuvre to tilt the panel slightly if I want to, but pretty secure.