diesel at Weaton Aston

Dibbo

Featured Posts

Just a thought, anyone any idea on the price of red diesel at Weaton Aston at the mo? Just trying to decide if its worth the drive to get some , or go more locally.

Ta

Dibbo

Just a thought, anyone any idea on the price of red diesel at Weaton Aston at the mo? Just trying to decide if its worth the drive to get some , or go more locally.

Ta

Dibbo

It always depends on the length of your journey of course. It is low seventies today and always the cheapest in the area. go for it!!!!!!!!

Can you still fill up the boat from the red diesel pump?? Or do you have to take it in cans?? Not been there for years and was wondering if the fuel split business had effected how they have to sell it

Yes, moor in their purpose built jetty, fill up from the red pump and make your own declaration. Never go by without filling or topping up. If you miss it, Norbury Junction try to match the price too.

• Greenie 1

Yes, moor in their purpose built jetty, fill up from the red pump and make your own declaration. Never go by without filling or topping up. If you miss it, Norbury Junction try to match the price too.

I believe there is an ongoing "price war" between these two diesel sellers.

They speak to each other most days and Weaton Aston then sets his price 0.1p below that of Norbury!!

............Dave

There are two garages outside Sowerby Bridge advertising 'Gas Oil'. I presume this is the same as red diesel? One actually says 'Red Diesel' as well.) Both were 72p a month ago.

AIUI from when I was a OFTEC combustion technician, gas oil is a central heating fuel.

Red diesel is similar but thinner, and has different additives and characteristics to make it suitable for diesel engines. Most diesel engines will run on gas oil but it isn't especially good for them. Central heating boilers will need setting up differently if fueled with red diesel.

Sadly the two terms are sometimes used interchangeably by retailers who ought to know better, adding to the confusion.

MtB

AIUI from when I was a OFTEC combustion technician, gas oil is a central heating fuel.

Red diesel is similar but thinner, and has different additives and characteristics to make it suitable for diesel engines. Most diesel engines will run on gas oil but it isn't especially good for them. Central heating boilers will need setting up differently if fueled with red diesel.

Sadly the two terms are sometimes used interchangeably by retailers who ought to know better, adding to the confusion.

MtB

I don't think this is right at all. I'm afraid.

Diesel and "gas oil" were two names for the same product when I worked on refinery and depot systems for a major oil company, and I don't think that definition has changed.

First article that came up in Google when I tried "what is gas oil" says......

However, if you bring it down to very basic terms, gas oil sits within the diesel fuel family, of which there are two primary types: red diesel and white diesel. White diesel is what is usually referred to as gas oil because of its use in automotive vehicles such as cars.

Article here.

When I had anything to do with it there was "gas oil" ("white") and "marked gas oil" ("red"), but being sold at the prices "Mac" lists their "gas oil" is clearly "red".

What can now vary in "gas oil"s, apart from the marking, is sulphur content, (although everything has become ULS), and whether it contains FAME. It is still all "gas oil" though I think, and it is still all "diesel".

Now awaits someone telling my previous knowledge has been obsoleted over the years!

Yes, you do need to know. It kna**ckers old engines

It's bio-diesel and no it does not knacker old engines.

The worst it may do is to mess up any "rubber" components on/in the fuel system so you have to have a pump overhaul.

It is also more friendly to micro-organisms so bug breeds more easily in the tank but that happens to new or old engines.

The low sulphur content in the fuel (both with and without FAME) also allows old seals to shrink and leak but that is not the Fame.

Of course, if everybody posted fuel price info here:

http://diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk/

we wouldn't have to ask on here or phone the supplier.

Regards

Pete

That would be a very useful site (if it were properly updated) - Perhaps the reason it does not get updated is because not enough people know wbaout it?

Has it ever had a dedicated thread on the forum?

I got the address from here a few years ago. If you email him with prices it seems to get updated that evening. Looking at a lot of the recent changes, they look like mine!

Perhaps we should start a new thread to bring it to everyones attention.

Regards

Pete

Edited by pearley

Oh well, you should not moan too much it's a bit more expensive outside the UK. I paid €1.43 per ltr (£1.22) in the Netherlands she allready had 200+ ltr in the tank and I put in another 280 ltr and she's still only 2/3 full on the dipstick if the tanks the shape I think it might be she may take another 400 ltr.

I got the address from here a few years ago. If you email him with prices it seems to get updated that evening. Looking at a lot of the recent changes, they look like mine!

Perhaps we should start a new thread to bring it to everyones attention.

Regards

Pete

I always send in information if I buy or even just pass an outlet. It can never be 100% up to date but it does indicate who charges in the 80p range and who is 140p

Oh well, you should not moan too much it's a bit more expensive outside the UK. I paid €1.43 per ltr (£1.22) in the Netherlands she allready had 200+ ltr in the tank and I put in another 280 ltr and she's still only 2/3 full on the dipstick if the tanks the shape I think it might be she may take another 400 ltr.

If you had been on the Broads that could have been £1-40 and that is with a 60/40 split, cheaper to buy white at tesco