Best 12 v solar panel prices

lesrollins

Featured Posts

ring local domestic installers and ask if they have any pallet end panels left.

You can pick them up at silly prices as they order a new pallet(s) for most installations and usually have a couple hanging around from previous jobs.

Edited to add, if you specifically need 12v then ignore above, they will be a higher V , however will give you far more bang for your bucks if used with a decent mppt controller

Edited by matty40s

Dean

Will that range of panels work on a 12v system and if so would it be a case of just connecting to a 20amp mppt controller and then onto the batteries looking at one 180w panel.

4mm cable from panel to controller and 6mm from controller to batteries. Would I need a 12/24v controller or just a 12v controller. I fitted a 12v panel to mine but an old boy is asking for advice regarding a new panel but he wants it as cheap as possible.

Thanx.

To clarify:

12V panels are not 12V they re usually around 15 to 17 volt open circuit so unless they are very small in relation to the battery bank a controller has to be used to protect the batteries.

The controller will have a maximum input voltage so you can link any panels to it connected in series or parallel as long as you do not exceed the maximum voltage and the maximum current. So "house" panels will be fine. However some ways are more efficient than others depending upon the panels.

I think many controllers are dual 12/24 volt and they auto-sense the battery voltage.

That panel that cashflow mentioned looks fine for me. If I buy a controller that doesn't give a digital readout, will my victron battery monitor tell me how much is going into the batteries?

Depends where you connect it relative to the Victron shunt but if you do it right then yes. However there are some indications that solar input tends to make the readings less reliable. It may be related to how long slow charges produce a higher charge than the same number of Ahs but at a higher rate.