What product is best to wash external coachwork?

Salopgal

Featured Posts

I will eventually try the craftmaster polish on it and see what it looks like after. The boat was painted by the previous owner about 5-7 years ago in those colours. I quite liked the 2 tone dark green like a recent poster on this forum has painted his boat, looks great.

What colours are less susceptible to bleaching?

Jamescheers.gif

As G&F said earlier, avoid reds and shades of red as they are troublesome. Other colours generally are OK.

Roger

This is seriously good stuff. Wash the boat, dry it off, then apply the wax. Do it in sections and do not let it dry. Polished up a treat with little effort. Me and Ali have got a good system now. Do this spring and autumn with an occasional wash off in between, Water points we never use to do this. That would be rude! clapping.gif

This is seriously good stuff. Wash the boat, dry it off, then apply the wax. Do it in sections and do not let it dry. Polished up a treat with little effort. Me and Ali have got a good system now. Do this spring and autumn with an occasional wash off in between, Water points we never use to do this. That would be rude! clapping.gif

Is the Carnuaba wash so very much better than water alone i.e. is the Wax polish sufficient, or would you strongly suggest I buy the wash/wax combo? I'm just a bit short of cash that's all!!

Thanks!

If you've got bleached paintwork,try some G10 or G 6 by Farecla,then a light polish over the top with whatever wax takes your fancy.If you've lost a lot of colour you will have to be even with your polishing to get the restored colour consistent across a large area.

People will scream "Don't use silicone" but my last boat's paintwork was starting to fade and come up in a fine crazing on the surface. I used Mer polish from Halfords and it brought it up really well. Never had any problem with painting on and around the polished areas either, though didn't try just after polishing of course.

The Mer seems to have a very slight cutting action, nothing like as much as T-cut but enough to bring it up to a good polish (paintwork was about 10 years old).

People will scream "Don't use silicone" but my last boat's paintwork was starting to fade and come up in a fine crazing on the surface. I used Mer polish from Halfords and it brought it up really well. Never had any problem with painting on and around the polished areas either, though didn't try just after polishing of course.

The Mer seems to have a very slight cutting action, nothing like as much as T-cut but enough to bring it up to a good polish (paintwork was about 10 years old).

The Craftmaster Carnauba has a distinct cutting action too, and we find it much easier to get swirl free than either Mer or Autoglym.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Rather than create a new post I thought it better to continue this one. Boat was painted last year. So, I have decided to use craftmaster wash n wax to spruce her up (the boat that is!). But I am a lazy beggar. That being the case, I intend to wash using mop and bucket. Is this the best way to wash with the craftmaster product?

Next question. I want a simple way to apply the wax. Can I use an electric polisher with a towelling head to apply, then a polish head to err, polish up?

I have not bought anything yet and so await your wise words before I spell my hard earned lolly.

When we wash the boat, once a year we use the Craftmaster wash and Wax and use a couple of mitts like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KENT-CAR-CARE-2-in-1-MICROFIBRE-NOODLE-MESH-WASH-MITT-CAR-WASHING-VALETING-/400521550067?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

One for the shampoo and one to rinse, also use a squeegee to take the water off as you go.

When we wash the boat, once a year we use the Craftmaster wash and Wax and use a couple of mitts like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KENT-CAR-CARE-2-in-1-MICROFIBRE-NOODLE-MESH-WASH-MITT-CAR-WASHING-VALETING-/400521550067?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

One for the shampoo and one to rinse, also use a squeegee to take the water off as you go.

What do you use for the wax, excuse my ignorance?

I use a clean microfibre cloth soaked in wax to apply. Let it dry a bit and wipe off with a slighly waxy microfibre and then finish off with a clean dry microfibre to buff it up - all by hand and all in the warm but not in direct sun.

I would not use any power tools you can easily overdo it.

It's a pain but on a nice day not too bad doing one side at a time.

(NB do once in early spring and once before winter).

20150531_204123_zps4p4td80q.jpg

What's interesting re the above photo is there is a lot of product/skills from Canalworld members on show.

1) Mr S paint

2) Mr S wax and wash

3) Sir Dave signwriting

4) Mr P chimney

5) Mr E water and nosecan

(And muggins 99 polishing).

Edited by mark99

To put the polish on, I use an old 'massage' shower sponge. These are the ones that have a crinkly side on one side. A bit like a pan scourer but nowhere near as harsh. It does help the polish remove the bloom.

When polishing, if there is a bit of a bloom it is putting the polish on where the hard work should be applied, the actual polishing just creates the shine.