Just bought my first boat!

Magpie

Featured Posts

I am a complete novice so please bear with me, I have finally gone and done it - after looking for what feels like months but was probably only a few weeks I went to Mercia Marina on Friday and put a deposit on my first narrowboat a 40 footer from 1992! managed to get a boat survey booked for next Thursday so really excited. I have been on the net for a few hours getting quotes for insurance etc. I think I need to rename it, is that bad luck? If the boat already has a licence do I have to still apply for a new licence once I take ownership?

I am a complete novice so please bear with me, I have finally gone and done it - after looking for what feels like months but was probably only a few weeks I went to Mercia Marina on Friday and put a deposit on my first narrowboat a 40 footer from 1992! managed to get a boat survey booked for next Thursday so really excited. I have been on the net for a few hours getting quotes for insurance etc. I think I need to rename it, is that bad luck? If the boat already has a licence do I have to still apply for a new licence once I take ownership?

You don't need to buy another licence, the current one will suffice until it's expiry date.

You can also change your boat's name.

Though, please advise CRT of change of ownership, (and change of name as/when you do it!)

You don't have to buy everyone drinks when you change her name, but you can if you wish...(A list of current boat names is on Jim-Shead's site (linkythingummy)

smile.png happy days cruising always and just enjoy the fun, to both Magpie and Deckhand new boaters and welcome to the forum, its a great place for boaty info.

p.s. ohhh... Free drinks dandelion& burdock for me heavy on the ice lol

Edited by tree

Excellent news, how very excitingcheers.gif

Good luck with the survey and hope this is your new life afloatcaptain.gif . Brings back memories of joy and apprehension of the survey! Thankfully all was 99% very good, a couple of minor things. Fire away with your questions.

Jamessmile.png

Edited by canals are us?

Thankyou Tree, your kind words ,mean a lot. Have got a lot of info logged already (but keep thinking of even more questions then as a result !!)

Kim

Keep asking the questions, there's plenty of experience here. I've found it fantastic. Good luck

Thanks everyone for your good wishes I'm sure the survey will be OK - yes its "Socksy Boy" which seems a funny name to me especially as I hardly ever wear socks, its normally just deck shoes cheers.gif

Congratulations, it's very exciting isn't it?

We thought about changing the name of our boat, it didn't bother me and I'm the most superstitious person in the world. However, the more we referred to her by her name, the more it grew on us, so we didn't change it.

Good luck, and may you have many happy years on board. smile.png

Congratulations.smile.png

If it helps "Socksy Boy" is a short story by Joan Aiken in the February addition of Agrosy, 1961. I don't know what the story is about.

The only reason I know this is because Alan Sillitoe's short story "The Bike" was also in it, who I studied intently as he was brought up a few streets away from me.

Are you keeping the boat at Mercia?

Thanks again everyone for your good wishes, guess I better find a copy of the short story and have a read then Susie_q blush.png yes going to keep the boat at Mercia at least for a couple of months whilst I get used to life afloat

Hi, Congratulations,hope the survey goes ok,I am not superstitious about renaming,some say to change name when out of the water(it will be out for your survey,ideal time!!). Be aware that if CRT licencing is still the same as the BW days,you will not get an automatic licence expiry reminder when its due but will the following year. Have fun.

Hi Magpie,

Good Luck with the survey.

We too have secured our mooring at Mercia. Our boat should (hopefully) be on the water Beg October.

Kim

Hi Magpie,

Good Luck with the survey.

We too have secured our mooring at Mercia. Our boat should (hopefully) be on the water Beg October.

Kim

Wow deckhand I'm impressed you have secured your mooring so early. just sorted mine out to move onto it next week.

Dave_P dont know what to call it? cant call it magpie as its blue not black