Le Creuset kettle....ways to treat rust?

Janet S

Featured Posts

I'm not sure if I've put this in the correct section, but I couldn't find anything more suitable.

I've just been given a rather lovely Le Creuset kettle like this one...

8748496558_b9ec66d6b8_o.jpg

I've always loved this design and hankered after one...however, although it's near perfect on the outside, the base inside looks rather dark and shows some signs of rust bubbles.

Is there anything I can do to treat this so I can actually use it as a kettle, or am I going to have to use it as a decorative herb planter?

I've tried Googling, but drawn a blank. Apparently it was still in everyday use until a couple of weeks ago...not sure if it's safe or not, but just want to be on the safe side!

Janet

I've got one going spare... Darker red rather than the orange. Only trouble is its lost it's whistle, but it's free from rust, just wants a polish up. If you can't get this one cleaned up perhaps the canal super highway could journey it up to you and you could transplant whistles!? PM me after you've tackled the rust, if you're interested.

The Le Creuset kettle (i have the pan set) is designed to sit on your stove all day as it keeps the heat really well, and although it is made of cast iron and ceramic they do tend to rust if chipped and break if dropped, as biggles said phosphoric acid will probably cure it.

I wouldn't make a fuss over eating a bit of rust. Iron is good for you and gives you stamina and strength. I think it was Robin-Knox-Johnson that scraped the rust from his emergency rubber dinghy's survival packs fishing hooks and ate it along with one baked bean a day with which he rationed himself to give him strength when he was shipwrecked. Apparently he had no Vactan to wash it down and made do with little drops of sea water instead. He had taken on a sort of orangey complexion when he was rescued though.

That design of whistle isn't up to much, You can't beat the old removable whistle. Mines still going and is about 40 years old. closedeyes.gif

Edited by bizzard

I'll try to get myself some phosphoric acid...do they sell it in Tesco? I'll investigate....if not, my local ironmongers usually comes up with a solution.

BSP...if I can't fix this one, I'd be very interested in yours! Apart from the slight rust on the interior base it is just about perfect...wooo hooo,...it has a really sexy whistle..

Janet x

Seriously JanetS, I'd just make a brew in it ''Indian style'' which is add everything at once ie water, tea, milk and sugar and bring it to the boil, once drunk this should leave behind a sort of tough glaze which if it hasn't eradicated the rust will have smothered it and locked it in.

I'll try to get myself some phosphoric acid...do they sell it in Tesco? I'll investigate....if not, my local ironmongers usually comes up with a solution.

BSP...if I can't fix this one, I'd be very interested in yours! Apart from the slight rust on the interior base it is just about perfect...wooo hooo,...it has a really sexy whistle..

Janet x

Ebay - - always stocks it

(and Phosphoric acid is always useful for treating bote rust too)

Empty a family size bottle of (full fat) Coca-Cola into the kettle and ideally leave for a few days. If you look at the list of ingredients you will see phosphoric acid listed. It will probably be the last time you will buy certain carbonated drinks!

Empty a family size bottle of (full fat) Coca-Cola into the kettle and ideally leave for a few days. If you look at the list of ingredients you will see phosphoric acid listed. It will probably be the last time you will buy certain carbonated drinks!

That's it. you might as well drink bottles of Jenolite instead than waste it on killing rust.

I'll try to get myself some phosphoric acid...do they sell it in Tesco? I'll investigate....if not, my local ironmongers usually comes up with a solution. BSP...if I can't fix this one, I'd be very interested in yours! Apart from the slight rust on the interior base it is just about perfect...wooo hooo,...it has a really sexy whistle.. Janet x

Sexy whistle!? :D

The kettle is soaking in Coca~Cola...and it still has a very sexy whistle!

Not sure I'll be happy to use it for making brews, but it will make a lovely planter for some herbs for our September trip...

Janet

Wow,I use an unlined cast iron kettle now and then and just don't bother about rust. Don't waste a perfectly good kettle for plants,there's plenty of junk to stick herbs in.

I would use one without a working whistle ,how far out of hearing can you get in a back cabin? BSP I would give yours a home if you could CWDF courier it maybe to Pelsall.

I'm still alive and not quite as ginger as my avatar but much grumpier

Pleased for you Janet, have a good brew

Hi BSP, I normally hang out at Hawne Basin but will be at the Pelsall rally or if anybody is going to the Black Country museum working boat do.maybe we should start a thread to see if the CWDF courier system can do it in relays.