Cooking in the oven. How?!

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Thanks Nick!

(And specially like your inspection lamp - - for pizzas? wink.png )

No, it belongs to Steve and is used for interrogating any customers who mention the words "semi-trad" or "cruiser" to him. Fortunately I just said "wider rear hatch" so I got off lightly!

Hi,We have a Vanette 5000WL,dont know how old it is but cannot be faulted,the oven,grill and burners are much better than the Parkinson Cowen cooker we have at home. Gas cylinder pressure regulators do sometimes fall in pressure and cause poor performance so maybe the appliance is not always to blame.

Yes all quite simple, its important to probe the jets too. Some folk seem to have more money than sense, for the sake of a little simple maintenance they'd rather spend hundreds of pounds on a new one every couple of years.

I need to learn how to do this. I'll ask around at the marina before I try to take it apart myself though! I've fixed a couple of electrical issues on the boat by myself (very proud!) so I'm feeling confident, but gas stuff is a whole new bag. I've never used gas appliances before. Cooker is 20 years old and burnt the 1st thing I tried reheating to a cinder, so I need to practice!

Any hot tips on taking the parts out to clean? All advice very welcome!

Its a Baumatic BO620SS. http://www.baumatic.co.uk/bo620ss.html

Of course you need mains power to run the fan etc, but it doesn't use much. We have 2 sources of mains power (travelpower + inverter) to give some backup.

Would it work as a conventional (non-fan) oven without an elecrical connection?

Edited by blackrose

Would it work as a conventional (non-fan) oven without an elecrical connection?

The fan not only circulates the hot air inside the oven, but also circulates cooling air between the inner and outer casings, therefore I think it would overheat without mains power. I'm not sure if there is a gas cutoff on loss of mains power, never tried it.

• 4 weeks later...

We have a domestic gas oven on our boat (widebeam, so have a bit more space and all the reviews for boat ones were rubbish unless you pay £££££££).

Its a Beko, can't remember the model number off the top of my head.

Our's is pretty good but I have learnt not to trust the gas numbers as a guage for temp. I bought an oven thermometre from Lakelands for around a fiver, and that helps a lot.

Also I try and turn around the food at least once, as it does tend to get quite hot at the back. Ours is a double oven with the top unit also a grill. It's the top one that is slightly more uneven than the bottom. Still learning but it seems to do the job, have handled a few cakes well, lasagnas etc. Haven't tried a roast yet.

I have a small & elderly Callor two burner with oven & grill in the truck and as bizzard says a good brushing and poke about improves things no end.

If i want to do a roast I use a cast iron caserole in the oven on the lowest posible shelf setting having pre heated the oven. Turn it ocasionaly. good result every time.

No, it belongs to Steve and is used for interrogating any customers who mention the words "semi-trad" or "cruiser" to him. Fortunately I just said "wider rear hatch" so I got off lightly!

I assumed he used one of those ridiculously powerful chromed "Francis" (or similar) searchlights, so popular as "traditional" headlights on Hudsons.

A basic inspection lamp, even with a 100 watt bulb is hardly in keeping with the image, is it?

I love my diesel oven but only have one shelf as they are sooo expensive, around £50! So I have to juggle things around, especially doing a roast etc. I have used several different cookers over the years and each one has its own way of working. Some one mentioned cleaning, I always use oven pride, but don't buy from supermarket as you can get them from various bargain shops for around £3 less.

Strange. when you are telling us how superior your Hudson is to everyone else's boat I had pictured something posh not this slightly retro hire boat look.

Though I'll let you off if those door knobs are solid gold.

Give it a break, its only 1/2 built in that photo! But whilst some people want fancy curvy carvy woodwork, we asked for plain. But that makes it big, bright and airy inside, and doesn't date.

I assumed he used one of those ridiculously powerful chromed "Francis" (or similar) searchlights, so popular as "traditional" headlights on Hudsons.

A basic inspection lamp, even with a 100 watt bulb is hardly in keeping with the image, is it?

I didn't say how, or rather where, it is used!

Is it normal to have to leave a door or window open whilst using an oven on a boat? ours is a Thetford Spinflo Caprice, its new and it gives off fumes and chokes us to use it.

No, built in ventilation should be adequate although quite a bit of water vapour is created by burning gas which can mist up closed windows. If yours is as you say it is after more than a couple of uses, something is badly wrong and you should get it checked out before it kills you! Edited by nicknorman