trip from packet boat to roydon stop overs

stevewest

Featured Posts

hi all,

at last making the trip from packet to roydon can you give me any advice on places to stop over,i'm thinking two stops

should do it starting 25 may hope to get there on the 27,if possible bearths with a plug in thinking re charge and could beer

could i book in advance?phone numbers may be? any help at all would be apprecated.

thanks in advance steve west.

hi all,

at last making the trip from packet to roydon can you give me any advice on places to stop over,i'm thinking two stops

should do it starting 25 may hope to get there on the 27,if possible bearths with a plug in thinking re charge and could beer

could i book in advance?phone numbers may be? any help at all would be apprecated.

thanks in advance steve west.

Plug in just for one night!! Are your batteries knackered? smile.png

• Greenie 1

hhahahahr may be think the spliter relay might be dont want to have a flaty in the morrning,call it first trip douts

to be sure to be sure,thanks bizzard.sick.gif

I see, might be best to take a good spare battery to ensure engine starts, probably be cheaper than paying for overnight stops in marinas.

St Pancras cruising club and Springfield marina may have vacant temporary overnight moorings.

thanks bizzard going to get one of those engine start bosters fron argos may help me now and others in the futrue

what think ya.???

thanks tim dont think i can do ponders end from packet boat in one go can i ?

thanks bizzard going to get one of those engine start bosters fron argos may help me now and others in the futrue

what think ya.???

You would need a quite expensive one to be sure it'll start a diesel engine and of course it will need plugging in to recharge it.

A 90amp battery and a pair of good quality long jump leads would be more useful to you, as the battery can always be used as the engines start battery and the leads are very useful to jump start from other batteries or another boat or vehicle and for future testing things.

any moorings at little venice would i get on one?who should i ask?

that may be my first night stop.think i should take bizzards advice he seems like the sort

i would take advice from and i do like a drink.

You would need a quite expensive one to be sure it'll start a diesel engine and of course it will need plugging in to recharge it.

A 90amp battery and a pair of good quality long jump leads would be more useful to you, as the battery can always be used as the engines start battery and the leads are very useful to jump start from other batteries or another boat or vehicle and for future testing things.

yes that would work ok the engine starter is £60.00 says it will start 1.8 petrol 1.4 disel

i got 35hp vetus what is that?not sure of the c.c.

any moorings at little venice would i get on one?who should i ask?

that may be my first night stop.think i should take bizzards advice he seems like the sort

i would take advice from and i do like a drink.

You should get on the normal free public moorings there by Delaware cresent I think the roads called. The length with an iron fence and trees that from the west leads up to the Sanitary station and old toll house thing. No elec there though.

Little Venice to Enfield is a fairly easy FULL days run even if single handed. L. Venice to Springfield a lot easier too, tie up on the towpath next to the park opposite the marina there.

You should get on the normal free public moorings there by Delaware cresent I think the roads called. The length with an iron fence and trees that from the west leads up to the Sanitary station and old toll house thing. No elec there though.

Little Venice to Enfield is a fairly easy FULL days run even if single handed. L. Venice to Springfield a lot easier too, tie up on the towpath next to the park opposite the marina there.

thanks bizzard think i will be sucking me thumb as i go along and see how it goes

again thanks i shall give you a shout when i get to roydon shall be there on the 27 may which is a bank

holiday me thinks that week end will be buzy so i was thinking best to book if i could.cheers mate.

thanks bizzard think i will be sucking me thumb as i go along and see how it goes

again thanks i shall give you a shout when i get to roydon shall be there on the 27 may which is a bank

holiday me thinks that week end will be buzy so i was thinking best to book if i could.cheers mate.

Ok. I have some friends ''Alan and Haley'' on a wide beam there that I do work on. Bon voyage. To be honest that starter booster from Argos at £60 I doubt would have the capacity and endurance to start your engine for more than a couple of times whereas a big 90amp battery from fully charged will start it many many times before its flat.

Ok. I have some friends ''Alan and Haley'' on a wide beam there that I do work on. Bon voyage. To be honest that starter booster from Argos at £60 I doubt would have the capacity and endurance to start your engine for more than a couple of times whereas a big 90amp battery from fully charged will start it many many times before its flat.

thanks mate youv made me think and the 90amp would be me best option and i can use it after as you say.good man!

and Bon voyage to you too!

Don't see why not. See link for tide times,

http://rjen.me.uk/tides/Tides2013-Brentford.pdf

but looks right to me (but don't take my word on that). Just means that you would have to get to Brentford so that they can let you out at the right time. Give them a call and ask. Thames is quicker than regents canal and a real experience, that you'll never forget.

Any boat wishing to pass through Thames Lock must give 24 hours' notice by telephoning 0208 568 2779. Passage is only possible for a couple of hours either side of high tide.

Thanks for that mate but to be honest I've had enought exitment in my life

Any way I think the slow rout for me as you say though what an adventure it would be,good man and thanks for your time.

Don't see why not. See link for tide times,

http://rjen.me.uk/tides/Tides2013-Brentford.pdf

but looks right to me (but don't take my word on that). Just means that you would have to get to Brentford so that they can let you out at the right time. Give them a call and ask. Thames is quicker than regents canal and a real experience, that you'll never forget.

Any boat wishing to pass through Thames Lock must give 24 hours' notice by telephoning 0208 568 2779. Passage is only possible for a couple of hours either side of high tide.

Also check with your insurers. Ours allow us to do the tidal Thames down to the Woolwich Barrier, but only if we are accompanied by another boat.

You also need VHF below Brentford if you are over 40 ft long - and highly advisable for shorter boats. Plenty of threads on here about it.

Edited by David Mack

Hi Steve. You'll be passing us (if you're at our mooring) so give us a wave :)

I enjoy stopping off at Delaware Crescent - it's a buzzy place to stop, and I like the short walk into Oxford Street - makes me feel like a proper Londoner ;)

You may like to consider stopping over at the London Canal Museum mooring. They charge a few quid, and you get free entry to the museum with it I think. It's a day's cruise from you. You can book in advance and it seems they have electric you can use: http://www.canalmuseum.org.uk/visit/comebyboat.htm

Don't be scared of Camden at weekends - people are mostly friendly. If you have someone who could help lock you through that would make life easier though.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for that mate but to be honest I've had enought exitment in my life

Any way I think the slow rout for me as you say though what an adventure it would be,good man and thanks for your time.

Very wise with your battery problem and unless you've done it before.

Very wise with your battery problem and unless you've done it before.

Thanks bizzard your advice helpled no end

Yes the battery problem i need to get another relay but will get another 90. --110 amp/hr

Belt and braseses. The berth and the folk at the canal museum are grate very helpfull £8.00 a night. Looking forward to that.