Pictures of interiors for design ideas anywhere?

doconline

Featured Posts

Hi,

I am looking for interval pictures for inspiration for a layout for a liveaboard narrowboat. This is at the very early stage at the moment. I am looking for designs which are a little bit different / bespoke to the general interiors.

I like the idea of open plan as much as possible, as I think this will make the inside look more spacious. I have taken a look at the fernwooddesigns website and that has some interesting ideas, but need a bit more inspiration. Google doesn't really throw up anything really except one very pink / red looking interior, has anyone got any other links, suggestions I could try.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Have you considered going to Crick Boat Show and having a really good look round the boats?

Thanks for the suggestion, I should be going, I understand there are a few companies displaying boats there. Hopefully there will be other companies with photos of custom interiors too. Will be good to look at costings too, and hopefully get some idea.

Search narrowboat on pinterest.

Good idea, that has thrown up some good ideas already :)

Leviathan comes to mind when you say a little different! (A historic boat that was for sale a while age with a very different interior. I believe that there is an old thread about it)

Also try looking through boats on apolloduck, you'll be surprised what you find. There was a boat with mock beamed walls arts and crafts wall paper and a solid brick wall in the kitchen!

Quite a bit of space saving design on ours. It was http://kateboats.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/valhalla.pdf reviewed in the press. Some inaccuracies in the reported spec. We replaced the central cupboard / TV stand with a solid fuel stove. Our exterior is a little more unconventional than the interior.

Edited by oarfish

Ours is fairly conventional apart from the seating, we wanted a big fat sofa to slouch on so my chap bought a 3 seater and a 2 seater off ebay, chopped them up and built a really comfy L shaped sofa that will make a double bed by just putting the cushions on the floor and throwing a quilt over it, it's got a sprung base. No storage underneath but we wanted comfort and slouchability. smile.png

finished1_zps9766051e.jpg

finished5_zps59b17fc2.jpg

Edited by Zayna

• 5 weeks later...

Leviathan comes to mind when you say a little different! (A historic boat that was for sale a while age with a very different interior. I believe that there is an old thread about it)

Also try looking through boats on apolloduck, you'll be surprised what you find. There was a boat with mock beamed walls arts and crafts wall paper and a solid brick wall in the kitchen!

I went to see Leviathan on the K & A with a view to buying her, but as I, naively, thought that I needed to hire her out when not using her, decided that the, amazing, bu,t not very practical, layout was not for me.

Someone said that the bedroom was like a floating vagina!

The woodwork was amazing, done by a company in Bath.

Ours is fairly conventional apart from the seating, we wanted a big fat sofa to slouch on so my chap bought a 3 seater and a 2 seater off ebay, chopped them up and built a really comfy L shaped sofa that will make a double bed by just putting the cushions on the floor and throwing a quilt over it, it's got a sprung base. No storage underneath but we wanted comfort and slouchability. smile.png

How are you and Chris doing? We're still wading through the mountain of work that our pair need. I'm still ecstatic, Glenda is daunted!

Edited by Chop!

I like the idea of open plan as much as possible, as I think this will make the inside look more spacious.

I'm afraid the words "narrowboat" and "spacious" are a contradiction in terms and should never be used in the same sentence, unless of course used in the negative, to indicate a lack of space.

Edited by blackrose

I'm afraid the words "narrowboat" and "spacious" are a contradiction in terms and should never be used in the same sentence, unless of course used in the negative, to indicate a lack of space.

Do you own a widebeam by any chance? Our nb is pleasantly spacious as we have the bed under the tug deck wink.png

Do you own a widebeam by any chance? Our nb is pleasantly spacious as we have the bed under the tug deck wink.png

clapping.gif very good... the only thing more claustrophobic than that would be sleeping in a coffin.

Space is all relative I suppose, but whatever you do with a narrowboat you will always have 6' 10" beam (less inside), and be able to touch both cabin sides at the same time - even if the bed's been tucked away somewhere.

Edited by blackrose

:clapping: very good... the only thing more claustrophobic than that would be sleeping in a coffin.

Space is all relative I suppose, but whatever you do with a narrowboat you will always have 6' 10" beam (less inside), and be able to touch both cabin sides at the same time - even if the bed's been tucked away somewhere.

Point of order, my narrow boat doesn't have a 6'10" beam, it has 7' 3/8" ;)

I've got 6'8" under the gunwales on top of the insulation, and a full 6' width at gunwale level. With 65' of cabin on a 72' boat, that gives 433 square feet of living space.

I can't touch both sides at once under or immediately above the gunwales, and can touch only some of the cabin sides, as they lean inwards.

But then, I am quite short!

Edited by FadeToScarlet