MtB

Featured Posts

Sure, there's the variable volume cylinder type but you've got to be careful for the maximum working temperature as some are only 65°C... 

FL500_l.jpg.0ddb124d7d3f5188fbbf9787d21d5327.jpg

This alternative is pretty, haven't a clue about the price http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Flow/Flowmeters/Dial/SeriesDTFW - I chose the other because, being double sided, I can reverse it for the "outbound" pipe's flow away from the engine.

DTFW_Gold_600x600.gif

Edited by dpaws

40 minutes ago, BM 1051 said:

Thank´s I didn´t know what to look for, did not know the name.

I was in the same position until I discovered "swept T" !!! ?

2 hours ago, dpaws said:

You are very kind, thank you; you've described a scenario that makes complete sense, gagging in of the calorifier circuit which then consequently buggers up the pump's output.

Dare I ask the cost of your Jabsco pump, and also about space restrictions for fitting it as my flywheel's face is snug up against a bulkhead forward - do you have a photo on one in situ?

Now, if I understand you correctly you'd feed the calorifier return back before the skin tank - that would mean it taking longer before the thermostat opens... what would the real consequences for the engine be over time with this delayed warm up, or can the difference be considered to be insignificant? Unfortunately our skin tank's hidden behind panelling and linings etc so detective work's nigh on impossible, but I'll cross fingers for now...

Thanks again

The pump conversion is neat and compact and takes no more space that the original. As it happens we are test running a restored engine with the prototype kit on it over the next few days. It will appear on our website and Youtube in due course. Once we have fine tuned the design and got batch pricing calculated we will be offering them as a kit on our website. It is part of the Samofa support package we are developing as I mentioned in an earlier post. I reckon it will take the rest of this year to get the bits designed and produced but we hope to be up and running both in the UK and Holland with the parts by next spring

A pity that your skin tank is buried and not easy to check. I suspect that is your issue..other than the s***e pump of course?

14 hours ago, dpaws said:

That's great news - I'll hold off on my system mods until you can send me one - many thanks indeed

If I were you I wouldn't wait to modify the calorifier feed and the flow piping to the skin tank. You run the risk of cooking your engine as it is

19 minutes ago, steamraiser2 said:

If I were you I wouldn't wait to modify the calorifier feed and the flow piping to the skin tank. You run the risk of cooking your engine as it is

Thanks, that's understood - the boat will be moored up until your kit is available so as soon as you've got something, I've no intention of risking the head gasket again on a "don't know, could be, try this" sorta basis.

Edited by dpaws

Not read and digested the whole thread but the head overheating can only be one of two things:

1) Insufficient water flow rate through the head 

Or...

2) Crud (technical term) in the waterways inside the head insulating the cast iron surface from the cooling water flowing through it. 

The bronze visual flow meter is a lovely thing to have on a vintage engine. I have one myself. Not only can you see the flow directly, you can also see the colour of the coolant which helps judge the antifreeze concentration and cleanliness of it, but it also shows you graphically if the coolt level is too low. Bubbles flow though it.

Just curious Mike - How's your Samofa coming along and what are your intentions re water pumps? Did yours arrive without one - rings a bell somewhere in the grey matter archive...

I like the idea of being able to watch the bubbles :D

Edited by dpaws

7 minutes ago, dpaws said:

Just curious Mike - How's your Samofa coming along and what are your intentions re water pumps? Did yours arrive without one - rings a bell somewhere in the grey matter archive...

I like the idea of being able to watch the bubbles :D

Mine is languishing in my garden. And it has no water pump, which I find odd. 

I need another boat to put it in!!!!

Well I'll put my original pump to one side for you so at least you'll have something to plug the hole... though it'll need the 4mm pressure relief hole and the valves looking over... and by that time hopefully I'll have reported back re the new conversion :D

5 hours ago, dpaws said:

Well I'll put my original pump to one side for you so at least you'll have something to plug the hole... though it'll need the 4mm pressure relief hole and the valves looking over... and by that time hopefully I'll have reported back re the new conversion :D

That's very kind of you, thank you!

I saw your boat moored 40 yrds across the basin from mine recently :) 

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I saw your boat moored 40 yrds across the basin from mine recently :) 

It's a rather pleasant puddle to be hanging around isn't it :) the Moka pot's always on...

I do hope you didn't notice me lusting after your Gleniffer... was the roof hole big enough?

On 05/01/2017 at 13:44, billybobbooth said:

At those rpm and power i would look at the cowther prop for a rn sort of size as above its around 24-25inch but not sure on pitch

Just for the record, I have a PRM500 (2:1) mated to the Samofa. My first stab at a prop spec from the various calculators yielded a 24" x 15" 3B LH. 55% "turbine blade" at that's what's fitted at the moment, supplied by Clements (excellent people to deal with).

Sadly we only managed a quick paddle up and down the cut given the present over heating issues, but the prop seems well suited - my instinct is that the pitch is a touch too fine, just a tad, but I won't tweak anything until we've spent many more hours underway, particularly with both alternators online. Stopping is certainly no longer an issue, from cruise to still in less than a couple of boat lengths - it'd be quicker but the meaty flywheel has to catch up...

The newly fitted morse lever with the integrated bow thruster control allowed our 10yo to take the helm after only 5 minutes of explanation and she handled the boat well; it's really quite intuitive to use. I appreciate it's not to everyone's tastes, but well worth consideration if you intend to share the helm with guests etc. 

Snip20180702_15.png.79b4677d75c75bbf97abafa121a746e2.png

http://www.force4.co.uk/teleflex-morse-ch2800-side-mount-control.html#.WBx1TeErKHo

Edited by dpaws

On 30/06/2018 at 06:37, dpaws said:

It's a rather pleasant puddle to be hanging around isn't it :) the Moka pot's always on...

I do hope you didn't notice me lusting after your Gleniffer... was the roof hole big enough?

Yes apparently, by about half an inch! 

Are you you on the boat today by any chance?? 

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes apparently, by about half an inch! 

Are you you on the boat today by any chance?? 

Unfortunately not Mike - we've returned to Italy where it's grey and miserable and humid! If you'd like a nosey at the installation just ask Sarah with our blessing :)

(best access through the front doors as the floorboards are up and the steps are dangerous in the aft cabin...)

Edited by dpaws

• 8 months later...
On 29/06/2018 at 12:37, steamraiser2 said:

Good evening all! The spring seems to be upon us so thoughts have returned afloat. Do we have news on this pump conversion kit? Ta muchly :)

• 9 months later...
On 07/11/2013 at 10:33, Mike the Boilerman said:

The engine or the governor?

I don't think Tony does much work now which, I'm told, is why their reputation is waning.

Or were you havin a larf? I'd ask RLWP as first choice actually...

MtB

The Redshaws have just opened up new premises at Braunston and they were busy enough when I visited just after they opened. They are back beside the canal where they should be and did a perfectly good job for me.  Of course, I realise that MtB is perfection personified.

• 2 years later...

2S108 Overheating update: After many delays due to Covid etc I'm glad to declare the issue solved. The problem was with the installation of the cooling system which had been adapted after removing a JP3.

Almost immediately downstream of the small bore thermostat outlet was a T-junction to a single entry expansion tank (a separate compartment of the day tank), with the other branch of the tee feeding the calorifier circuit. The water pump (apparently famed for weak performance) was pressuring the expansion tank, which was open to atmosphere via both the filler cap and the overflow overboard.  Following the path of least resistance the water level in the expansion tank quickly rose up beyond the sight gauge until it reached the overflow, after which the system proceeded to slowly empty itself via the overflow...

I'd wrongly assumed that the water level was initially rising due to expansion, and, once the water level had exceeded the glass sight gauge's range I then couldn't tell if the expansion tank was full or had emptied since I'd last looked. Thankfully the high temperature alarm had always saved the head gasket as we'd shut down pretty quick and then punt to the nearest bank.

We've now disconnected the (day tank) expansion tank and instead have installed an opaque double entry expansion tank that's pressurised against a relief cap. Now it's also much easier to bleed the cooling system and it makes adding additives a breeze.  I've since heard on Brinklow's grapevine that another Samofa owner was encountering the exact same issue with their installation.

Expansion tanks should always be fitted as far from the pump as possible, preferably just before the coolant re-enters the heat source (engine/boiler).

Eberspacher (292100017742) 5l twin outlet header tank, highly recommended for both engine cooling and domestic heating circuits, as are flow meters and bluetooth thermo-probes!

Eberspacher-292100017742-or-Webasto-5-litre-5l-twin.jpeg

Edited by dpaws