Is this normal or did we encounter a complete twunt?

sooz

Featured Posts

T'other half and I were travelling down a flight of five ever-so-slightly spaced out locks. She was on the canalside and I was on the boat. As we came out of the second one, she had difficulty with one of the paddles so I hovered to make sure she was alright and could close the gate okay. As I was about to moor up and give her a hand, she got it sussed and so we continued on our way to the third lock.

This third lock was around a slight bend, so visibility was reduced until the bend had been cleared and as it was a quiet day on the water neither of us were rushing. As we came around the bend, we saw a boat coming our way through the top gates. It transpired that the man was single-handing, so t'other half sped up and told him she'd just closed the bottom gates of the second lock, but if he was going through then she'd go back and open them since he could leave these open for me. He didn't repsond to her, but instead proceeded to tie his centre line loosely to the open gate (stern within the lock and bow outside of it - plenty of photos available if I'm not being clear!), step off and walk round the bend to the next lock - all with a smug smile on his face (okay, so that bit is a personal comment, but it irked me). Seeing what he had done, and that I was now prevented from getting into the lock by his boat floating in the middle of the gates, I called over as he passed me, "is everything alright?" to which he replied, "she closed the gate" and carried on.

We were completely astounded and rather bemused by this behaviour, and rather than confront him I simply took plenty of photos. It has been playing on my mind ever since though. We felt he was unnecessarily rude. Yes we had closed the gate, but as soon as we came round the bend and saw him, t'other half tried to converse with him and offered to run back and open it (if he wasn't mooring before the lock). As far as we can see if he hadn't wanted her to open the lock for him then he could have just stayed aboard until the next lock, tied up there in the usual manner and opened the gates - that way he wouldn't have had to return to this lock to get his boat. He, however, went deliberately out of his way to hinder us as if we had caused him the greatest offence. (Smug git)

Would be grateful to know if we did make some heinous error or if his actions were unacceptable, please. Thanks.

His actions were unacceptable, IMHO. The place to moor to set a lock up for use, ISN'T the previous lock, he could have just as easily moored on the lock landing or at the mouth of the lock for example (in fact more easily, he'd have saved a longer walk and time).

Was he hard of hearing or perhaps didn't hear your suggestion of going back to open the gate for him over engine noise, or simply ignored you? Seems a daft thing to do - to ignore the suggestion which would have helped him out.

Now you know why he's on his own !

Like you I would be upset with his behaviour, but in 10 mins he'll be gone ...in the opposite direction.

Forget him and enjoy the rest of your day.

Ditto ! Definately some pillocks on the canals , vastly outnumbered by cool people , put some distance between him and you , physically and emotionally .

Agreed the guy was a twunt laugh.png

However and I'm not sure of the Etiquette regarding locks in the situation you describe.

My logic would dictate to leave the lock gates open upon exit. If there's nothing behind me and I can see no boat in front of me, I see little point in closing the lock gates. The way I look at it, It's a 50/50 chance that a boat will come from either direction. If the next boat that arrives at the lock does so at the top, then it's straight into the lock, happy days. If the next boat arrives at the bottom of the lock, someone has to get out of the boat regardless, and if the top gates are still open, then they're very easy to shut anyway being with the current, so it's no big deal.

I also do the same exiting the other way. At the end of the day on average you're probable assisting someone at least 50% of the time and moreover single handed boaters. Where as if you close the gates the people entering the way you exited will be inconvenienced by having to hold the boat whilst the gates are opened and for single handed boaters would mean mooring up.

Edited by Julynian
  • Greenie 1

However and I'm not sure of the Etiquette regarding locks in the situation you describe.

My logic would dictate to leave the lock gates open upon exit. If there's nothing behind me and I can see no boat in front of me, I see little point in closing the lock gates. The way I look at it, It's a 50/50 chance that a boat will come from either direction. If the next boat that arrives at the lock does so at the top, then it's straight into the lock, happy days. If the next boat arrives at the bottom of the lock, someone has to get out of the boat regardless, and if the top gates are still open, then they're very easy to shut anyway being with the current, so it's no big deal.

I also do the same exiting the other way. At the end of the day on average you're probable assisting someone at least 50% of the time and moreover single handed boaters. Where as if you close the gates the people entering the way you exited will be inconvenienced by having to hold the boat whilst the gates are opened and for single handed boaters would mean mooring up.

Come on, we've been over this time and time again. It is to reduce water wastage with so many locks leaky. I agree that doesn't apply in river sections but most are not. To the OP, he was probably comitting a criminal offence by blocking navigation, unfortunately CRT are sick of having their powers tested so would probably not be interested, but if it had been me I would either have moved his boat or pushed it back into the lock and sat on tickover having a cup of tea. Or to put it another way, the guy was an arse.

Come on, we've been over this time and time again. It is to reduce water wastage with so many locks leaky. I agree that doesn't apply in river sections but most are not. To the OP, he was probably comitting a criminal offence by blocking navigation, unfortunately CRT are sick of having their powers tested so would probably not be interested, but if it had been me I would either have moved his boat or pushed it back into the lock and sat on tickover having a cup of tea. Or to put it another way, the guy was an arse.

Hi Nick

You might have been I don't recall ever discussing this on the forum. Also how does it save water? I've rarely come across a lock that doesn't leak. If the bottom lock gates leak and the top one is closed and doesn't leak the lock will still drain over time. If the top lock leaks as well then there's a continuous flow through both locks, and it could take days even weeks to drain, by that time a boat will require passage and the water lost anyway.

Edited by Julynian

Hi Nick

You might have been I don't recall ever discussing this on the forum. Also how does it save water? I've rarely come across a lock that doesn't leak. If the bottom lock gates leak and the top one is closed and doesn't leak the lock will still drain over time. If the top lock leaks as well then there's a continuous flow through both locks, and it could take days even weeks to drain, by that time a boat will require passage and the water lost anyway.

There's been a couple of long (multiple pages) threads on it. I'd suggest a search but I cant remember what the thread titles were, so might not have much success in finding them. I never quite got the water conservation argument either, after all if they leak, they leak.

There's been a couple of long (multiple pages) threads on it. I'd suggest a search but I cant remember what the thread titles were, so might not have much success in finding them. I never quite got the water conservation argument either, after all if they leak, they leak.

Hi Paul

Having not been on the water for as long as we have since 2007 I've tended to read up on other subjects more akin to boat building, we're due back on the water in a couple of month and Lynn piped up and said I'm not sure I can remember how to use the locks laugh.png So I've started to read more of the general boating threads.

I just can't see how not closing lock gates wastes water. I'll try and search out the threads you mention, cheers!

well I can't agree with that I'm afraid there are other considerations such as water conservation, and accepted practice but thats been the subject of other threads.

I think I would have been as perplexed as the OP, I'd like to think I would have carefully moved his boat out of the way, but probably would have thought it bad form to interfere with someone elses boat and just waited.... now SWMBO would probably have moved it and scuttled it whilst giving him a glare that curdles milk at 100 yards...

Hi Paul

Having not been on the water for as long as we have since 2007 I've tended to read up on other subjects more akin to boat building, we're due back on the water in a couple of month and Lynn piped up and said I'm not sure I can remember how to use the locks laugh.png So I've started to read more of the general boating threads.

I just can't see how not closing lock gates wastes water. I'll try and search out the threads you mention, cheers!

I found one for you - all 14 pages of it!

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=50330&hl=leave&page=14

I just happen to remember contributing to it, though it took a bit of finding :)

It all depends on whether the person leaving the gates open owns a wide or narrow beamed craft.

If I had been in his position I would be grateful. Knowing that the next lock was empty I would take my boat right up to the bottom gates, so that my bow fender was just touching, then give a little burst of throttle to push them open. Saves a bit of work all round and does no harm to the gates.

I think I might have mention in the other thread, if not here it is again. Our dustmen never ever shut the bloomin gate. And yet at Christmas time they had the cheek to rap on the door begging for a tip by declaring ''I'm the bloke who empties your bin madam'' but my mum always had the reply ready ''And I'm the person that fills it'' and shut the door. It always seemed to be a different binman each year that knocked for a tip, but they all got the same reply if they'd bin leaving that bloomin gate open all the year. mellow.png

If there is a leak of a given size (of gap), the water flowing through it varies according to the height difference either side of the gap. So if the lock is kept empty or full due to the other gate being open, there will be the maximum height difference across the gap and therefore the maximum flow of water.

If we assume that one gate leaks badly and the other leaks barely, by closing both gates the total flow through the lock is limited to the one that leaks barely, rather than the one that leaks badly if the other gate is left open.

If both gates leak equally, the lock will settle half full and so the leak will be roughly halved because there will be half the height difference, and the two leaks are in series.

In summary, closing all gates and paddles will always result in less leakage through a lock. This is why plenty of lock flights have notices on them saying to close all gates and paddles on exit.

Also the Boaters Handbook makes the closing of gates standard practice so another reason is to avoid frustrating other boaters who are familiar with that standard practice. There are of course some locks which leak into the surrounding area that may be required to be left empty with bottom gate or paddle open, but these are individually signed. On rivers obviously there is no leakage issue.

Edited by nicknorman

I've tried but don't get it laugh.png

It is a well known fact that a wide beam uses much less water than a narrow beam, when using a lock, so the owner of the wide beamed boat has earned the right to leave the gates open...

...(or is it the other way round?) unsure.png