5 Cylinder Gardner

mark99

Featured Posts

I am surprised that, if the boat is as special as the advertiser claims, there is only one photo of it.

I saw a boat with a 5-cylinder Gardner (can't remember if LW or L2) going through Cropredy Lock 2 years ago. This may be the same boat. The owner said that he did not need to rev it up very high, not surprising!

Does the 5LW have any value on it's own? It could be worth buying the boat, flogging the engine and putting in something more appropriate

Richard

Hi,

If it had a tiny prop it may be OK, real shame as these big engines never get warm/hot in a nb., unless you are towing several boats.

Not sure what it could be used for - lorry rebuild?,generator.

L.

Edited by LEO

I think that 5LWs were often installed in lorries and buses when new.

How hot should a Gardner get? Mine seems to operate at about 55 centigrade (water) and 40 centigrade (oil).

Normal top running temp for a LW is 72 Deg C water temp. That is taken from their paperwork. although many struggle to get to that temp in a narrowboat. And yes most 5 or 6LW's you see are either ex bus/lorry or generator but a fair amount went to marine use for fishing boats etc as well.

I think that 5LWs were often installed in lorries and buses when new.

How hot should a Gardner get? Mine seems to operate at about 55 centigrade (water) and 40 centigrade (oil).

Unlike the smaller 2's and 3's that are sort after a used running 5LW (not including gearbox) maybe £1000 if your lucky. ready to fit in a boat someone may pay more.

Does the 5LW have any value on it's own? It could be worth buying the boat, flogging the engine and putting in something more appropriate

Richard