Changing oil on Lister SR2

brich

Featured Posts

As part of my winter maintenance programme, I decided to change the oil on my Lister SR2 engine over the weekend - a new experience.

I purchased a PECO 6000 vacuum extractor, assuming that I would be able to pump out the old oil via the dipstick tube. Having warmed the oil by running the engine for 15 minutes, stopping it, and then allowing about 5 minutes to allow everything to drain back in the sump, I removed the filler caps off both cylinder heads and pushed the extractor tube down the dipstick tube until it hit bottom. Despite a prolonged effort with the pump, I only achieved a few tablespoons of oil in the receiver, even though there is about 2cm showing on the dipstick, so I guess something is preventing the extractor tube reaching the bottom of the sump.

Has anyone got practical experience with draining the oil from a Lister SR2 - is there another way? There does appear to be a copper tube with a tap on it coming from near the bottom of the engine, adjacent to the starter motor. The copy of an old Lister SR2 manual I obtained from the internet alludes to a drain plug on the engine but doesn't show where it is. Neither does it show this type of pipe arrangement, so I'm not sure if it is relevant to draining the oil or not.

Any suggestions or advice welcomed.

Brian Rich

NB Otter

• 2 weeks later...
As part of my winter maintenance programme, I decided to change the oil on my Lister SR2 engine over the weekend - a new experience.

I purchased a PECO 6000 vacuum extractor, assuming that I would be able to pump out the old oil via the dipstick tube. Having warmed the oil by running the engine for 15 minutes, stopping it, and then allowing about 5 minutes to allow everything to drain back in the sump, I removed the filler caps off both cylinder heads and pushed the extractor tube down the dipstick tube until it hit bottom. Despite a prolonged effort with the pump, I only achieved a few tablespoons of oil in the receiver, even though there is about 2cm showing on the dipstick, so I guess something is preventing the extractor tube reaching the bottom of the sump.

Has anyone got practical experience with draining the oil from a Lister SR2 - is there another way? There does appear to be a copper tube with a tap on it coming from near the bottom of the engine, adjacent to the starter motor. The copy of an old Lister SR2 manual I obtained from the internet alludes to a drain plug on the engine but doesn't show where it is. Neither does it show this type of pipe arrangement, so I'm not sure if it is relevant to draining the oil or not.

Any suggestions or advice welcomed.

Brian Rich

NB Otter

I have a Lister st3m in my boat and the oil is changed by fitting a brass hand pump to the copper tube you mentioned. You may have to make up some sort of

fitting to suit your pump.It should take no more than a few minutes to remove the oil, I can empty my sump of 12 pints pretty fast.

HARRY

There are exceptions to every rule - my SR3 managed one time to suck water through the casing via the fan when the bilge pump had packed up and I had not noticed .

It did prove how reliable these engines are as it still kept going even when imersed , I dont usually make a habit of not checking the bilge but was on the Severn single handed at the time with a great deal of fresh running so had my hands full .