Some pictures from late 1970's

Carl Ryan

Featured Posts

Photograph 1 = PLOVER & KILDARE (coming out of Warwick top lock)

photograph 2 = WIDGEON & ALPERTON (above Warwick bottom lock)

photograph 3 = WIDGEON and ALPERTON, GAMBIA and BEECH, fore end of KILDARE (above Warwick top or bottom lock)

photograph 4 = BALDOCK (in F.B.S. livery - from exhaust position), GAMBIA (in W.F.B. Co. livery) and BEECH (above Warwick top lock)

I would date these photographs as 1978 or early 1979. Strange how these are all professionally steered camping boats but there is a complete lack of customers captain.gif

edit - to add locations.

Edited by pete harrison

Photograph 1 = PLOVER & KILDARE (coming out of Warwick top lock)

photograph 2 = WIDGEON & ALPERTON (above Warwick bottom lock)

photograph 3 = WIDGEON and ALPERTON, GAMBIA and BEECH, fore end of KILDARE (above Warwick top or bottom lock)

photograph 4 = BALDOCK (in F.B.S. livery - from exhaust position), GAMBIA (in W.F.B. Co. livery) and BEECH (above Warwick top lock)

I would date these photographs as 1978 or early 1979. Strange how these are all professionally steered camping boats but there is a complete lack of customers captain.gif

edit - to add locations.

Not really the GAMBIA, of course. Well, most of it isn't.

Tim

Not really the GAMBIA, of course. Well, most of it isn't.

Tim

The stern end in the photograph is SIBERIA but is lettered as GAMBIA, which is in fact the fore end section of this boat - made from two separate boats captain.gif

edit - I have an enthusiast observation of this boat dated June 1975 describing it as Peter Froud's GAMBERIA at Preston Brook.

Edited by pete harrison

The stern end in the photograph is SIBERIA but is lettered as GAMBIA, which is in fact the fore end section of this boat - made from two separate boats captain.gif

I know, I was responsible for putting the two parts together. There was no more than 9 feet of the Gambia used., hence my comment.

Tim

I know, I was responsible for putting the two parts together. There was no more than 9 feet of the Gambia used., hence my comment.

Tim

My comment was more for the benefit of other people reading this thread as I am aware that you know this boats history.

My comment was more for the benefit of other people reading this thread as I am aware that you know this boats history.

& I just wanted to clarify that it's almost all Siberia, not much Gambia ;)

Tim

edit - to add locations.

mid week for FBS would be Warwick or Stoke Bruerne, on the warwick trip a visit to the castle was normal so i'd think that was were everyone was!

mid week for FBS would be Warwick or Stoke Bruerne, on the warwick trip a visit to the castle was normal so i'd think that was were everyone was!

Pretty much standard operating procedure if not going up Hatton was to drop the passengers off at Coventry Road, then take the boats up to the Cape for water and maybe to Saltisford to wind before meeting the passengers at the Cape,

Pretty much standard operating procedure if not going up Hatton was to drop the passengers off at Coventry Road, then take the boats up to the Cape for water and maybe to Saltisford to wind before meeting the passengers at the Cape,

I used to come down from Birmingham and the 'kids' would walk to Warwick Castle from above Warwick Locks (Cape Locks), mainly because I was selfish and wanted to be near to both a tap and a pub. Sometimes they would make their own way to Leamington Spa and go swimming, and I would take the boats there on my own usually tying up by the gasworks (that I think were not actually there anymore). Alternatively I would wind directly below Warwick top lock, which was quite a squeeze but you could do it with the pair tied abreast. I seem to recall DAISY ASHFORD and LICHFIELD used to wind directly below the lock and it may have been the steerer that told me it was possible - opening the top paddles of the open top lock to flush the boats round at the critical moment. I am not sure it is still possible to wind below the lock nowadays.

edit - happy, happy days captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison