Having a little turn

larryjc

Featured Posts

Now been on my lovely 60 footer for a month and I've discovered a rather disconcerting habit she has on several occasions. She steers well and manoeuvres fine with throttle (the bow thruster helps but lets not go there). However, when I pass another boat going the other way she has a disconcerting habit of diving towards the other boat before I reach it or into the bank after its past. When it happens the tiller suddenly become ineffective and I have to slam into reverse to stop calamity. Its not just me, my daughters partner had it happen to him yesterday and he is relatively experienced on the canals. The boat has been stretched and I wonder if it is something to do with the stern design which was originally for a much smaller boat (35 foot originally). I sort of know know about 'canal effect' and wonder if this has something to do with it.

Any of you peeps wot know about these things come across this and know of any tricks to avoid it?

Larry

• Greenie 1

This is fairly normal, especially on the shallower canals.

I counter it by steering the "wrong" way quite agressively (effectively turning the tiller as though you wanted to hit the right hand bank) and then easing off as the other boat passes which allows the front end to regain the centre channel. If you're back end is dredging the bottom, the effect will be even worse - either drop the revs(allowing a little more water under the back) and steer to the right, or just give it a blast and steer right(brute force!!)

(To the OP) have you driven many other narrowboats? Thus, you have something to compare it to.

As above, there are phenomenon called "bank effect" but it also applies to the bottom of the canal and other solid objects in it eg other boats. Basically, the nearer the bank you are, beyond a certain critical point the two suck themselves together.

That all sounds perfectly normal too me, especially on a shallow canal like the MAcclesfield.

With practice you'll learn to use the effect to your advantage, by letting it pull your boat back to the middle of the canal after you've aimed it away from the bows of the oncoming boat.

That all sounds perfectly normal too me, especially on a shallow canal like the MAcclesfield.

With practice you'll learn to use the effect to your advantage, by letting it pull your boat back to the middle of the canal after you've aimed it away from the bows of the oncoming boat.

Ditto ------ It can be quite hard to steer it back straight. Slowing down helps

Alex

Ditto ------ It can be quite hard to steer it back straight. Slowing down helps

Alex

Don't try to fight it. Unless there is another boat coming, let the bows go over until they are well into the channel or even further. Then when you kick the stern out the whole boat will pivot about its centre point and put you back mid channel. If you fight it, you can go for ever with the stern sucking the bank.

George ex nb Alton retired

Edited by furnessvale