"no mooring" signs put up by angling associations

flickadancer

Featured Posts

Hi,

just moored for overnight and cycled on to see where we could moor the next night and found lots of signs on the footpath saying "no mooring" actually on the towpath not on the opposite side. With the name of the fishing club. (TAA)

My question is can they do this? It seems a trifle unfair to me as these signs were in places that would have been decent mooring.

Another question - can they set up and fish on the lock landings? Odd place to want to fish but we had one setting up this afternoon regardless of boats coming through.

Would be interested to know the legality of putting up no mooring signs at any point on the towpath for any reason.

You can expect to be prevented from mooring in hazardous places but not to benefit fishermen.

Hi,

just moored for overnight and cycled on to see where we could moor the next night and found lots of signs on the footpath saying "no mooring" actually on the towpath not on the opposite side. With the name of the fishing club. (TAA)

My question is can they do this? It seems a trifle unfair to me as these signs were in places that would have been decent mooring.

Another question - can they set up and fish on the lock landings? Odd place to want to fish but we had one setting up this afternoon regardless of boats coming through.

Would be interested to know the legality of putting up no mooring signs at any point on the towpath for any reason.

You can expect to be prevented from mooring in hazardous places but not to benefit fishermen.

Take no notice of the signs unless of course angler is there first then I would carry on to another location. As for fishing on lock landings I try not to get in their way but the damned prop seems to have a mind of its own.

Tim

Personally I would only take notice of BW or C.A.R.T mooring signs unless those signs state on them exceptions for fishing clubs or to obey such clubs requests not to moor. I'm guessing they're just trying to keep boats out of the way and they cannot enforce such requests, so sod em laugh.png and moor

CRT may sell fishing rights to clubs but unless they include a clause giving exclusive use of the bank I can't see this being enforceable. If that were the case I would expect the signs to carry an official CRT logo. The simple answer is to ask the local enforcement officer. On the topic of fishing from lock landings again unless CRT put up no fishing signs I can't see why not. Probably not too awkward if you have crew you can drop off near the landing but as a single-hander I do find it a pain in the proverbial.

Perhaps we should put up "No Fishing" signs when we find a good mooring spot laugh.png

Edited by Meggers
  • Greenie 1

CRT may sell fishing rights to clubs but unless they include a clause giving exclusive use of the bank I can't see this being enforceable. If that were the case I would expect the signs to carry an official CRT logo. The simple answer is to ask the local enforcement officer. On the topic of fishing from lock landings again unless CRT put up no fishing signs I can't see why not. Probably not too awkward if you have crew you can drop off near the landing but as a single-hander I do find it a pain in the proverbial.

Perhaps we should put up "No Fishing" signs when we find a good mooring spot laugh.png

Extract from CRT site: Where not to fish
  • Fishing is not allowed in lock chambers, within 25 metres (one boat length) of a lock approach, within 25 metres of a water point or in the vicinity of overhead powerlines.
  • Do not fish on rivers during the close season (15th March-15th June inclusive) or on any canal sections that are classified as SSSi’s.
  • Generally fishing is not permitted from the offside bank (except where so signed) so please fish from the towing path bank only.

Fishing is NOT allowed on lock landings and it should stay that way.

Had a nasty experience coming up the river Kennet in strong flow a couple a years back to find the lock landing full of very drunk and aggressive fishermen! Lock landings are for boaters!

............Dave

Hi,

Just guessing:

Most fishing matches are held on a Sunday.

The match will have been pegged.

I bet when you go through tomorrow they'll be fishing there.

If so, it'll perhaps be a temporary thing.

Maybe they have an arrangement.

Just a guess.

Glenn

Oh, I might be accused of being wrong,

But I've a hunch I'm correct again.

Edited by Goliath

They would LIKE you not to moor, but have no jurisdiction if you do.

However, you may get woken at an ungodly hour by fishermen fore and aft who have had to move their peg.

Official fishing rules state that a peg may be moved by no more than 2m due to an obstruction.according to the Loughborough fisherpeople - who also have their signs VERY deep.

I cannot understand there being a competition at this time of year in the close season????

I cannot understand there being a competition at this time of year in the close season????

There is no longer a closed season on most canals, which is why there are so many angling matches on the canals between 15 March and 15 June......... most other waters ARE closed

How about T for Taunton. Maybe the OP is down that way.

Taunton Angling Association hold competiotions on the canal.

She was on the K&A a short time back, so it could be a section with riparian ownership if there are any down there, considering its a canalised river in places.

She was on the K&A a short time back, so it could be a section with riparian ownership if there are any down there, considering its a canalised river in places.

T for Thatcham then?

I ve been through Sunday matches around there.

Never come across signs though.

I guess when they peg for a match, if a boat is already there they peg either side?

Edited by Goliath

I've woken up on a Sunday morning to find grumpy anglers fore and aft with a plethora of poles and enough equipment for about 20 people to fish.

One was on the 48 hour visitor moorings at Gt Bedwyn a couple of Sundays ago. He was not very happy about me pulling up next to him even though I took the boat out of gear, switched the engine off, jumped off and backed the boat up with the centre rope leaving him plenty of space. He wouldn't even move his stuff from the ring I was trying to put my stern rope through.

It's easy enough to ruin an angler's swim with a boat, but I always remember that they have plenty of maggots left over when they finish fishing for the day!

Edited by blackrose

There are definately sections of the K+A that have no mooring. They are owned by the Anging Club/Riperian. They are typically short river sections e.g. at Thatcham and run by the Civil Service Angling. They are not really suitable for mooring anyhow and are between cut navigation sections that are suitable.

Edited by mark99

Sounds like a competition to me and I would in the spirit of harmony between users of the system find somewhere else to moor you have about another 1.999 miles to chose from.

I was thinking the same - but in the 'spirit of harmony' perhaps the wording of the signs could be better -

Something along the lines of 'No mooring please - fishing competition site' or similar.

A rather blunt 'no mooring' only serves to get some boater's backs up.

When my windass slave finds people on lock landings who are fishing, she usually alerts them that I am a new boater, not good at steering and that I have broken one rod already today. Simples!

A friend told me a story of a group of fishermen who were setting up on some designated moorings that he was meeting up with another boater who had not arrived yet. He said that he felt the urge to work in the engine room with a bit of wood which he was tapping with a hammer. When one angler asked about the noise. He said he was realigning the propeller blades and would not be more than a couple of hours if everything went well. The moorings were clear when I arrived a short while later.

Yes, K and A between Thatcham and Woolhampton, on the cut not the river part and it is good mooring hubby thinks. Or okay mooring and it is a welded steel sign in the bushes. Surely there is room for everyone?

I guess the anglers shouldn't forget that if it wasn't for boats the canal wouldn't be here in the first place.

Not strickly true on the section I know there which has no mooring. The river has been co-joined to canals.

The river was there before the canals.

The bank is not engineered, modified or suitable for mooring. No prob - move along to the cut section 1/2 mile further on.

Yes, K and A between Thatcham and Woolhampton, on the cut not the river part and it is good mooring hubby thinks. Or okay mooring and it is a welded steel sign in the bushes. Surely there is room for everyone?

I guess the anglers shouldn't forget that if it wasn't for boats the canal wouldn't be here in the first place.