Miserable Marina boaters And long term moorers

gregg62

Featured Posts

Bikers used to wave to other bikers when they passed each other. They also used to pull up when they saw another biker stopped by the road, just incase they needed a hand. Don't happen anymore. Why do you think that boaters have to wave to other boaters, just because they are passing?

Its only boater who greet and speak to strangers for no reason. Try it on the train or underground and they will think you have been on the shurbet

You should try living in a small village then. Its just the same, say 'good morning' to all and sundry and they all respond in kind, with enthusiasm.

Same if you grin inanely at them... :D

MtB

Bikers used to wave to other bikers when they passed each other. They also used to pull up when they saw another biker stopped by the road, just incase they needed a hand. Don't happen anymore. Why do you think that boaters have to wave to other boaters, just because they are passing?

Oh YES! Same for VW Beetle owners (proper ones, not these moderne abominations) and Scoobies too. Forget to flash/wave and they turn round and chase you down...

MtB

AA men used to salute cars with an AA badge on ..... Policemen did a cheery knees bend "Mornin' All" greeting .... Postmen told you who the postcard was from and whether they were having a lovely time ....

I just don't know what the world is coming to ..... all these things just gone ... pfftt!!! .....

I find that at least 75% of other bikers nod at you when you pass,and that's in most areas. I've always stopped for other bikers by the roadside and the one time I was kicking my heels by the side of the road, two stopped for me.

I was just telling MB last weekend about how most nod at you and but some clearly think you're mad if you nod, and start checking around because they think you're trying to let them know something is amiss, like an indicator on or head light off!

Edited by Starcoaster

campervan drivers wave at each other.

truckers the same.

bus drivers the same.

I even wave at the tram drivers who're waiting on overhead bridges for the signals to change.

Dont care much for fishermen though.

..and I catch another boaters eye, I wave and hoot and holler, but feel a bit stupid when I am, and they arent.

When I walk the towpath - all the cyclists slow down, and stop, and chat animatedly to me, often suggesting that they intend to cycle even slower than previously- in order that they don't unintentionally inconvenience others

Interesting... I love towpath cycling and I always stop and dismount when I encounter walkers on narrow unsurfaced towpaths. It just seems like good manners.

OTOH if its an eight foot wide tarmaced path on the Thames at Oxford, I crack on at 25Mph just like all the other lunatic towpath cyclists, or they think I'm a weirdo out to harass them...

MtB

.and I catch another boaters eye, I wave and hoot and holler, but feel a bit stupid when I am, and they arent.

Yes this annoys me insanely too. Wave/nod/acknowledge a passing boater and they totally blank you, makes me feel like reversing, leaping the gap and grabbing them by the throat! I find it enfuriating beyond all reason....

And BREATHE.....

:D

MtB

Interesting... I love towpath cycling and I always stop and dismount when I encounter walkers on narrow unsurfaced towpaths. It just seems like good manners.

OTOH if its an eight foot wide tarmaced path on the Thames at Oxford, I crack on at 25Mph just like all the other lunatic towpath cyclists, or they think I'm a weirdo out to harass them...

MtB

Ah yes - - but you'll note that you're in the minority MtB ;)

I take the huff at your remark about marina boaters and being miserable! we ve just gone into a marina, as needs must, and I'll talk to anyone and everyone. we're a friendly bunch us 'Yorkies'!!

I take the huff at your remark about marina boaters and being miserable! we ve just gone into a marina, as needs must, and I'll talk to anyone and everyone. we're a friendly bunch us 'Yorkies'!!

Seconded! They even talk to me.

Boats moving up and down the Slough arm are so rare that at the sound of passing engines both our girls dash to the windows to wave, or at least they did, they will now have to settle for waving at fishermen on the towpath for the next few months

smile.png yep us 'yorkies' are a friendly bunch smile.png

I greet everyone on the cut that I meet with a cheery greeting, including fishing folk, cyclists, dog walkers, canoists, boaters... but then again I am a compulsive chatterbox and I even greet all the wildlife I meet with a cheery 'hello you beautiful minxes'. But then again I hug and talk to 'trees' Its good to talk ...or wave ..or smile.. or even dance a lickle jig if the feeling arises smile.png

Maybe the people the OP the mentioned were having 'one of those Ime fed up of waving days' we all get them ... well not me cos ime 'special' ....well that is what 99% of the people who meet me say wink.png

mind you yesterday I was told that I was a 'loveable eccentric' me thinks this was a polite way of saying ime totally off my rocker hahaha :)

Edited by tree

gregg62

Yesterday, 07:39 PM

"I once said this before , about 3 years ago..."

You could try saying it again in another couple of years but I still doubt that anyone will think there's much value in your negative generalisations and judgemental attitude.

Edited by blackrose