Floating Carnival??? Do CRT Know??

frangar

Featured Posts

This, I feel is the problem with a society that only allows for organised fun. We haven't allowed people to go outside and have fun without tickets and sponsored beer tents. This equates to loads of numpties who don't know that with such freedom also comes responsibility. Leaving junk, trashing birds nests and crapping everywhere is totally unacceptable, but I imagine most of those involved with the antisocial behaviour probably weren't allowed to play much further than the end of their street and would be scared to eat a spud from a garden.

I say we allow this to continue without regulation but impress upon the folk the need to be accountable.

In my yoof I have been involved in putting on loads of parties, mainly without permission from the local authorities and on friends land. We have attracted over 500 people in the past and stayed there until every jot of litter is picked up.

Most country folk just wouldn't leave that mess. If I have kids in London they will quickly learn to climb trees, build bases and leave no trace!

• Greenie 1

This, I feel is the problem with a society that only allows for organised fun. We haven't allowed people to go outside and have fun without tickets and sponsored beer tents. This equates to loads of numpties who don't know that with such freedom also comes responsibility. Leaving junk, trashing birds nests and crapping everywhere is totally unacceptable, but I imagine most of those involved with the antisocial behaviour probably weren't allowed to play much further than the end of their street and would be scared to eat a spud from a garden.

I say we allow this to continue without regulation but impress upon the folk the need to be accountable.

In my yoof I have been involved in putting on loads of parties, mainly without permission from the local authorities and on friends land. We have attracted over 500 people in the past and stayed there until every jot of litter is picked up.

Most country folk just wouldn't leave that mess. If I have kids in London they will quickly learn to climb trees, build bases and leave no trace!

Pretty much this.

We in this country are conditioned to question those 'just having fun' and enforce it's control. Then when a little bit of freedom comes about we go nuts. I dont know whats worse, those going nuts or those perpetuating the need for regulated order and fun.

Pretty much this.

We in this country are conditioned to question those 'just having fun' and enforce it's control. Then when a little bit of freedom comes about we go nuts. I dont know whats worse, those going nuts or those perpetuating the need for regulated order and fun.

I work at this festival in Ireland once, the crowed were allowed in to the campsite two days before being let loose into the festival. I shall never forget the scenes of carnage that ensued once the gates were open. 25,000 revellers fuelled up on festival sanctioned tuborg wasn't pretty!

The difficulty with the canal thing is that it has now reached critical mass, its pointless banning it because that would add to the gravitas. Education and some well placed portaloos is the answer!

Maybe we should stop people getting wet with infected canal water altogether, in an attempt to erradicate weils disease. Stop boating. Afterall, you handle wet ropes, and the danger of falling in... it bears not to think about. Surely the number of boaters who contract weils desease must be a drain on the NHS...? They must be, they are surrounded by both rats, and water.

Ban boaters, I say..

And ban having fun. In a spotaneous way. We can't have young people enjoying themselves.

Sorry Luctor you have it all wrong we should not ban anything but instead legislate to make sure people can continue to enjoy their chosen way of spending time. So to keep people safe from getting weils disease I propose to make it compulsory for all people using the canals, rivers and ponds to wear wet suits with gloves and a full facial mask. possibly colour coded so we know who is a boater, fisherman, canoeist etc .

I work at this festival in Ireland once, the crowed were allowed in to the campsite two days before being let loose into the festival. I shall never forget the scenes of carnage that ensued once the gates were open. 25,000 revellers fuelled up on festival sanctioned tuborg wasn't pretty!

The difficulty with the canal thing is that it has now reached critical mass, its pointless banning it because that would add to the gravitas. Education and some well placed portaloos is the answer!

I just don't think it should be held in a residential area. We manage to have plenty of parties on the canal, but we'd not dream of holding them under the windows of some flats - we do it out of town and away from houses and flats. And the water is really filthy there, all the kids we've ever taken kayaking know about Weils and we do make them take precautions, but these punters don't have a clue.

I

Who are you expecting to pay for the loos etc?.....having organised licensing & infrastructure for events for 20,000 people I can tell you that it won't be cheap!....I'm no fan of some of the hoops that you are expected to jump through to put on events for the public but when idiots like these people get let loose all they do is make life more difficult for others.

Cheers

Gareth

Who are you expecting to pay for the loos etc?.....having organised licensing & infrastructure for events for 20,000 people I can tell you that it won't be cheap!....I'm no fan of some of the hoops that you are expected to jump through to put on events for the public but when idiots like these people get let loose all they do is make life more difficult for others.

Cheers

Gareth

Cheaper to let them get on with it and clean up after.

I think you'll find Wanted has lots of experience of organising at Festivals (as do a lot of my friends), but I personally think the canal adds an extra, problematic dimension to the whole thing. I mean, how are you supposed to clean it afterwards?

They planned the whole thing back to front, did all the pr and social media marketing first and then attempted to get insurance (for something that's never been done before) last of all.

I've just spent the weekend away with a mate who is an ambulance controller as her job, but controls the emergency vehicles at festies, such as Glastonbury, I can just imagine what she'd say about this one. :D I mean, some festivals she works at, you would not believe the health and safety. She was telling me, at one, If you lose your child for more than an hour or two, then they have to follow it up with a visit from social services when you get home! I can't imagine, from what she's told me that they'd be able to get a license for an event like this.

I'm sure they wouldn't have been granted a licence either...the point I was making is when someone just goes ahead with an unlicensed event like this all it seems to do is make those of us that are involved with licenced events have even more rules and regs that we then have to comply with....I'm afraid that in the blame culture that we now seem to live in there isn't any room for error.....one of the jobs I was involved with we had to fill all the rabbit holes incase someone twisted their ankle...this all in the middle of a field!....we also had to light a country lane cos otherwise the punters might get lost going back to their tents....I could go on....

Cheers

Gareth

I'm sure they wouldn't have been granted a licence either...the point I was making is when someone just goes ahead with an unlicensed event like this all it seems to do is make those of us that are involved with licenced events have even more rules and regs that we then have to comply with....I'm afraid that in the blame culture that we now seem to live in there isn't any room for error.....one of the jobs I was involved with we had to fill all the rabbit holes incase someone twisted their ankle...this all in the middle of a field!....we also had to light a country lane cos otherwise the punters might get lost going back to their tents....I could go on....

Cheers

Gareth

Indeed we are doomed as a race.

I think you'll find Wanted has lots of experience of organising at Festivals (as do a lot of my friends), but I personally think the canal adds an extra, problematic dimension to the whole thing. I mean, how are you supposed to clean it afterwards?

They planned the whole thing back to front, did all the pr and social media marketing first and then attempted to get insurance (for something that's never been done before) last of all.

I've just spent the weekend away with a mate who is an ambulance controller as her job, but controls the emergency vehicles at festies, such as Glastonbury, I can just imagine what she'd say about this one. :D I mean, some festivals she works at, you would not believe the health and safety. She was telling me, at one, If you lose your child for more than an hour or two, then they have to follow it up with a visit from social services when you get home! I can't imagine, from what she's told me that they'd be able to get a license for an event like this.

Absolutely, I've been involved in exploding a ton and half of propane each night at festivals whilst two nutters fire 4 million vaults of lightening at each other wearing chain mail, so have a pretty good idea of what is expected in terms of H&S. I also know the limitations brought upon events due to lack of planning, I agree that this lot clearly don't have a scooby, however they have discovered a thing that the kids want to do, which is as creative as it is destructive.

Clearly they have yet to discover the pitfalls of partying too close to neighbours and I have to say that personally I am not too impressed at the lack of thought or understanding of what the canals are about. (And particularly bad timing in London)

In terms of damage limitation I wonder if we, as boaters could help to facilitate something that would go some way towards middle ground? Because ultimately, I have to be honest and say that, neighbours, rats piss and rubbish aside, it does look like bloody good fun!

Could it not be held somewhere such as White Water Centre in Waltham Abbey?

Yep, I think it would be good on a bit of canalised river in a town that needs an event, I call Brentford ;)

Any large gathering will statistically involve some one being born or their life coming to an end.

Im surprised no one was injured to say the least.

I was just shocked at the number of p*ssed up people floating around on filthy murky water (no offence to the Regent's Canal but after they'd finished with it, it can't have been nice.) It's a wonder one or two haven't surfaced since the event finished.

Ergh. What a horrible mess.