Floating Carnival??? Do CRT Know??

frangar

Featured Posts

This has popped up on my Facebook feed.....no connection whatsoever but I did wonder if anybody like CRT had been contacted or indeed local boaters......might be fun but seems to me that it has potential to be....shall we say interesting??

https://spacehive.com/theflotilla

They also have a facebool page for those who do such things

https://www.facebook.com/events/456507617751757/?fref=ts

I will open the beer and sit back and see what others think.........

Cheers

Gareth

A look at Facebook tells me 10 people I know have been invited - none of them London boaters, all of them in the music or fashion trade. Last floating carnival thingy was organised by people who hold a land based festival.

Boaters have their own party, anyway.

I think this backs up my partners theory that people assume that the canals are unregulated by anyone - it brings out the pioneer spirit in people, they behave as if they're the first people to discover such a thing and start dreaming up crazy schemes.

Remember the bloke who built a narrowboat out of non-marine ply on the towpath?

ETA at least it's not as deep as the Lee, you might be able to stand up if you capsize your Argos dinghy due to too much ale.

ETA but why can't Canal and River Trust get involved in something as fun as what goes on on the waterways in Amsterdam for Queens Day? Something a bit less staid than the festivals we have now. London canals go through the hippest areas of East London, so I'm not surprised the young residents are up for a bit of fun on the canals.

Edited by Lady Muck

I trust CRT will ensure that all the boats involved are properly licenced and either have a home mooring or have made a valid CC declaration! rolleyes.gif

If they are dingies and RIBs, they don't need either

Richard

{snip}

ETA but why can't Canal and River Trust get involved in something as fun as what goes on on the waterways in Amsterdam for Queens Day? Something a bit less staid than the festivals we have now. London canals go through the hippest areas of East London, so I'm not surprised the young residents are up for a bit of fun on the canals.

Yes, I agree. Perhaps there is a way they can make this event happen

Richard

We took a boat trip to Limehouse and back yesterday, all the way through Hackney and Bow, I note the most glaring difference between the boaters who complain about them and the boaters who moor in these parts is age. Who was it who said, 'a load of Victor Meldrews complaining about the youth?'

Sorry, while I'm all for fun, I have to admit that my big concern here, seeing the photo from last year, would be Weil's Disease. But then, I'm clearly old.

• Greenie 1

Sounds great.

Good for them.

And queens day in Amsterdam is a really special event.

Loved it.

Sorry, while I'm all for fun, I have to admit that my big concern here, seeing the photo from last year, would be Weil's Disease. But then, I'm clearly old.

Old or just informed? We know two people who contracted it. Both are canoeists who used the Regents.

I'm all for a bit of fun so go for it folks and I hope the weather is kind. Why can't we have some of this in Brum too,I'd be up for it. Partycat mode always available,should be the default setting really. Ps I'm quite old but carnt be arsed to moan about youth,envy is so negative.

Weils disease is a risk but so is riding a push bike in traffic,we all go with the risks we find acceptable.

Edited by madcat
  • Greenie 3

I'm all for a bit of fun so go for it folks and I hope the weather is kind. Why can't we have some of this in Brum too,I'd be up for it. Partycat mode always available,should be the default setting really. Ps I'm quite old but carnt be arsed to moan about youth,envy is so negative.

Weils disease is a risk but so is riding a push bike in traffic,we all go with the risks we find acceptable.

O I love giving greenies out

Why can't we have some of this in Brum too,I'd be up for it. Partycat mode always available.

Well why not? Maybe something to think about and suggest. Gas street basin and there abouts would make a great venue.

As an aside:

Has anyone ever visited Falmouth at Falmouth week? Usually the first week of August.

Well, they recreate a different battle each year. The battle of Trafalgar and custer's last stand come to mind as past battles. They go out into the harbour, on inflatables, having dressed up and chuck bags of flour at each other. Very funny.

I think it's funny, I suppose you have to be there.

Glenn

If you talk about having fun on the water in Amsterdam, with many more things happening than on Queens day, you should watch some of the video's of the Gay Pride happening there, here's just a short one, but there are many more, and much longer ones too.

Peter.

• Greenie 1

If you talk about having fun on the water in Amsterdam, with many more things happening than on Queens day, you should watch some of the video's of the Gay Pride happening there, here's just a short one, but there are many more, and much longer ones too.

Peter.

I just fell in love. With one of the tugs!!

In Brum? Was our wedding convoy not chaos enough for you? Full of young AND old people creating mayhem and blocking the traffic....

And no, we didn't officially tell CRT - our moorings officer discreetly chose not to hear details of our plans, saying he'd doubtless hear later.

Maybe we should stop people getting wet with infected canal water altogether, in an attempt to erradicate weils disease. Stop boating. Afterall, you handle wet ropes, and the danger of falling in... it bears not to think about. Surely the number of boaters who contract weils desease must be a drain on the NHS...? They must be, they are surrounded by both rats, and water.

Ban boaters, I say..

And ban having fun. In a spotaneous way. We can't have young people enjoying themselves.

• Greenie 2

Peter.

start talking about your back doors being loose might get you into all sorts of trouble there.

• 5 weeks later...

I hate to say "Told you so....." And I know nbw can overstate stuff but......

http://narrowboatworld.com/index.php/news-flash/5818-regents-canal-booze-up

Does anyone in the area know more or if heaven forbid nbw may have got it wrong.......

Cheers

Gareth

It was referred to in this

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=57271&hl

thread earlier ..... and the report in the Standard implies that some people came back and rectified the mess, whether they were able to replant the children's garden isn't clear....and community relations may need a bit longer

Oh it was a mess by all accounts. Ok similar mess to what gets left at Notting Hill but without any toilets, or crowd control or anyone to clear up afterwards. Just like at a festy when idiots leave their entire campsite for someone to clear up but in the canal.

Look at the photos on this blokes Twitter feed (click on thumbnails on left) https://twitter.com/secretbusdriver

I don't think this has done much at all for resident/boater relations judging by comments from the angry residents and I really hope they are stopped from attempting to do it again.

Edited by Lady Muck

Oh it was a mess by all accounts. Ok similar mess to what gets left at Notting Hill but without any toilets, or crowd control or anyone to clear up afterwards. Just like at a festy when idiots leave their entire campsite for someone to clear up but in the canal.

Look at the photos on this blokes Twitter feed (click on thumbnails on left) https://twitter.com/secretbusdriver

I don't think this has done much at all for resident/boater relations judging by comments from the angry residents and I really hope they are stopped from attempting to do it again.

BUT AFAIK they weren't boaters that caused the mess