Towpath Rules

RickH

Featured Posts

if anyone was to throw my dog in the canal they would be the next one to end up in the canal!!!!!

As for the reason for this reaction

1, my dog is blind so possibly hasn't realised that you are there

2' My dog cannot swim

if anyone was to throw my dog in the canal they would be the next one to end up in the canal!!!!!

As for the reason for this reaction

1, my dog is blind so possibly hasn't realised that you are there

2' My dog cannot swim

If you are incapable of keeping your dog under control and it is being a nuisance then I would exercise my right to remove it.

If you then chose to commit an act of violence to exacerbate your incompetence then you would receive similar treatment.

That said if I did remove your dog and it appeared to be in difficulty then you wouldn't have to resort to violence as I would be in the canal rescuing it before you reached us.

I would suggest that the best place for a blind dog is on the end of a lead so you don't put it in such a position.

If you are incapable of keeping your dog under control and it is being a nuisance then I would exercise my right to remove it.

If you then chose to commit an act of violence to exacerbate your incompetence then you would receive similar treatment.

That said if I did remove your dog and it appeared to be in difficulty then you wouldn't have to resort to violence as I would be in the canal rescuing it before you reached us.

I would suggest that the best place for a blind dog is on the end of a lead so you don't put it in such a position.

He is always on a lead!!!!!!!!!!

Given your post above and others it strikes me you've got a bad attitude and go looking for trouble.

When did you last cycle?

Hi

I last cycled when I was about 14 apart from once a few years ago just to ensure nothing had changed. They are an out moded form of transport much the same as horses which dont seem to be used anywhere like as much as they were a hundred years ago and earlier. I have no problem with cyclists I treat them with care as with anyone else with mental health problems because to be on todays overcongested roads on a cycle today then you must have problems !!

What pees me off is cyclists on towpaths next to a nice rural calm canal making a stroll often less enjoyable because of a vehicle coming at you. Provided the cyclist slows and moves round me I often smile and say hello but the ones that think I am getting out of their way are very much mistaken.

I blame the likes of " Sustrans " and the like but hey ho, on we go.

I do however use 2 wheels but dont realy get the sweaty pedally thing, its never done it for me biggrin.png

Tim

Ever seen a sheep dog?

Some. I have had three labs, all trained to the gun, on whistle, voice and hand commands. Unless I was in the middle of nowhere and could see there was no one around in a public space they were on the lead.

Yes I have also heard the shepherd/shepherdess swearing when it hasn't done exactly as instructed.

I have aproached this thread from last to first so may be out of order but 'exactly as instructed' strikes a chord.

If any of the sheep dogs gave me cause to swear, in the field, in the livestock market or even in the middle of town, they knew they were in trouble and quickly came to stand.

It is to some extent breed specific but another poster has done similar with an 'exuburant' Labrador so it is posible.

That said I prefer to keep dogs on leads when on strange ground & a stout stick will sow cyclists down if they bump you. Fisher persons, well......

taslim.

Is it a white lead? Wouldn't want to trip over him.

hahahahaha unfortunately not lol

although we have said a few times that he needs a white stick that we could attatch to his head so he stops bumping into things lol

Is it ok to shoot them if on a lead?

And, presumably, the ****ing deer? wink.png

Good idea,save the dog having to chase it.Joking of course.

Put a cat on a lead and it will be unable to escape a dog not on a lead.

My husband was a Rights of Way Officer and he says - "cyclists should give way to pedestrians on a towpath, common sense dictates, unless it is a designated cycle way but again, if the cycle way is combined with a public footpath then cyclists should give way to pedestrians" . "dogs should be kept under control - if there is any doubt over its behaviour then it should be kept on a lead and if it is inclined to agression it would be advisable to have it muzzled purely for your own financial security and certainly on a lead through any fields containing stock" "and if anyone should pick up anyone else's property (dog) without just cause they are leaving themselves open to prosecution because unless it is actually acting agressively then you cannot prove its intention". "If someone threw someone's pet into the canal and for example it could not swim and drowned they would be open to prosecution which could be very expensive indeed. Everyone should use the amenity of the towpath sensibly because it is not a single user group amenity and it isn't all that long ago that the towpath had no actual designation as a public right of way at all. It was a working environment."

Hope this helps.

Common sense has right of way.

Hi

I last cycled when I was about 14 apart from once a few years ago just to ensure nothing had changed.

I do however use 2 wheels but dont realy get the sweaty pedally thing, its never done it for me biggrin.png

Tim

I wish everyone drove like you do.

I've just been about 25 miles to Willington and had one near miss and witnessed another.

1 Approaching a T junction and about 30 yards from the back of the queue a car overtook me with inches to spare (due to an oncoming car) then due to the fast closing gap to the back of the queue, pulled back in and braked hard.

She gained nothing but got to the back of the queue 1 second earlier.

2 Approaching another T junction a car overtook me and nearly hit an oncoming motorcyclist.

I put up with the sweaty business 'cos it offsets the beer I buy with the money I save on petrol.

Edited by andywatson
  • Greenie 1

I put up with the sweaty business 'cos it offsets the beer I buy with the money I save on petrol.

Hi

I now see cycling in a totaly different light. The ability to buy more beer is an overwhelmingly sensible and good reason to cycle. biggrin.png

Tim

• Greenie 1

Why is it some of dog owners dont understand that not everyone, especialy small children are keen on dogs, let alone know what a dog is like or what it is likely to do when meeting it in a confined space, like a towpath, any reasionable owner will have it on a lead, those that dont are missing the point, and get dog owners a bad name, just like bike riders going to fast, or a boat going to fast past moored boats, its all about being sensable and curtious to others.

Unfortunately there seems to a a fair percentage of dog owners who believe that their precious pooch can do no wrong, and the merest suggestion that it might even be capable of doing wrong or harm is taken as a personal insult.

Tim

...it isn't all that long ago that the towpath had no actual designation as a public right of way at all.

Most still haven't.

With a small number of exceptions towpaths are "permissive paths" not public rights of way.

Why is it some of dog owners dont understand that not everyone, especialy small children are keen on dogs, let alone know what a dog is like or what it is likely to do when meeting it in a confined space, like a towpath, any reasionable owner will have it on a lead, those that dont are missing the point, and get dog owners a bad name, just like bike riders going to fast, or a boat going to fast past moored boats, its all about being sensable and curtious to others.

I've got a dog and I agree.

Having been a paper-boy (many years ago) but more recently had to fight off a GSD whilst running the usual , " It's cos you're running, he's only playing, he won't hurt you, escalating to he's never done that before" just won't do.

All of which works only as long as the dog's attention is focused on you and/or the job in hand. In the cases you use either the human is totally focused on the dog, the dog is totally focused on the human, or both.

My point is that when the dog's attention is relaxed, the human's attention is relaxed, or both, anything can happen to switch the dog's attention. If it has been taken by surprise, feels threatened, thinks it is time to play, for example, the dog stops being controlled by voice and becomes a creature of instinct again

Very very good post.

Incidentally, If anyone ever threw one of my dogs in the cut they would very quickly be following it themselves. Let that be a warning to all you dog chuckers out there.

Just had a minor altercation with a cyclist whilst walking my dog on the towpath , she was in his way , he was moving along at about 15mph and had to brake .

So , my question is , who has right of way ? Speed limits for bikes ? This was on the cycle path near Bath , not a narrow path at all . Am I allowed to have my dog off leash ?

When I go to get my car after cruising for a day or two I ride my bike along the TP but will always slow to almost a stop for dogs and kids as they are pretty unpredictable , adults not so much .

The CART 10 point Greenway Code for Towpaths answers your three questions.

Specifically:

2. Drop your pace considerate sharing of the limited towpath space is the key. Jogging and cycling are welcome, but drop your pace in good time and let people know you are approaching by ringing a bell or politely calling out before waiting to pass slowly.

3. Pedestrians have priority towpaths are ‘Greenways’ or shared use routes where pedestrians have priority and vehicles, except bicycles and mobility aids, are generally excluded.

9. Keep dogs under control ideally using a short lead on busy towpaths and clean-up after them. Dog fouling is very unpleasant and is a health hazard.

Unfortunately there seems to a a fair percentage of dog owners who believe that their precious pooch can do no wrong, and the merest suggestion that it might even be capable of doing wrong or harm is taken as a personal insult.

Tim

The other side worried me as well, the number of parents that would let their kids come up and touch a strange dog knowing nothing about the animal. Just because its a Lab doesn't mean it will love kids.

Hi

I now see cycling in a totaly different light. The ability to buy more beer is an overwhelmingly sensible and good reason to cycle. biggrin.png

Tim

Greenie duly awarded for making me giggle :cheers:

Once, a couple were riding along the towpath on a Tandem and a dog came out and threw a bucket of water over them. smile.png

Clever them dogs.

Edited by bizzard

Very very good post.

Incidentally, If anyone ever threw one of my dogs in the cut they would very quickly be following it themselves. Let that be a warning to all you dog chuckers out there.

How would you suggest I deal with a dog whose owner is failing to control it and it is threatening me or my family then?

I am loathe to do anything that might hurt it but I don't see any alternative if placing it safely out of harm's way (both mine and the dog's) is unacceptable to you.