Towpath Rules

RickH

Featured Posts

IME cyclists treat pedestrians just like motorists treat cyclists. I always let the cyclist by as it is less trouble than provoking an argument. I do however always step away from canal side thus ensuring the cyclist passes closest to the canal so that if anyone is going in it is not me.

Very few step off their bike when passing and many look worried when they realise it is them taking the 'risk'.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Dog under "voice control". Now there's an oxmoron if ever there was one.

I've had at least one painful trip over the handlebars due to a dog under "voice control".

Why are some dog owners are so reluctant to get their dogs under proper "lead control"? It was never a problem for me (or my dog, when I had one).

IMHO on towpaths, cycle paths, busy footpaths, etc dogs should be on leads.

This is not to say that cyclist shouldn't be considerate, too.

He chases rabbits.

He chases sticks.

He chases balls.

Above all he chases FUN. Trust him.

I hope you can meet Spike soon!!!

I bet he'd chase a cat too, then! But if he chased my son's cat - right onto his boat - I bet my son would happily follow Carl's advice! cool.png

I certainly hope NOT to meet Spike!

He has never chewed off any of my limbs or any of the limbs attached to my Grandchildren. But, of course, if you prat with him it may be different.

Most of the time he is under voice control, and if that is challenged by circumstance then he is on the lead. He is boisterous, noisy, hi- jumping and generally lively.

Such is the life of a cared for dog. We keep him under voice control 99.9 percent of the time. The other point one percemt we expect the public to accept our hound as part of the surrounding fauna, where normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Is this not acceptable?

No, it is the usual utterly unacceptable twaddle that is always spouted by those who simply will not take responsibility for their dog.

You fondly imagine that your right to do as you please is superior to the right of others to go about their business unmolested by your dog, and try to dress it up by ludicrous figures of 99.9%

That means that your dog (boisterous, noisy, hi- jumping and generally lively) is patently NOT always under effective control, and that somebody (possibly somebody who has a fear of dogs) has to suffer his behaviour.

If you apply that to every dog that comes running up to you I'd say that would be a bit of an over reaction .

Any Dog in a public place that does not respond immediately to it's owner's commands should not be off it's lead in any circumstances unless you live in the Gobi desert. Seriously, I never let my dog of her lead in an open public space as I cannot 100% trust her not to jump up & be friendly / annoying to those that do not want this. She is a Staffie & has never biten / killed anyone. LOL

The towpaths are full of unruly (mostly friendly) dogs of all sizes that do not take a blind bit of notice to their owners. This is wholly unacceptable. I am a huge dog lover but have seen countless occasions where people become very anxious when Fido comes slobbering up to them at speed, albiet just wanting a fuss etc.

I also never move for a speeding cyclist who thinks they can steamroll others out of their way. Slow down, ding your bell & say thank you..........

All common sense really.................. sense is not to common these days though.

The towpaths are full of unruly (mostly friendly) dogs of all sizes that do not take a blind bit of notice to their owners. This is wholly unacceptable.

The dog owners that don't take a blind bit of notice of their dogs are even more unacceptable, such as one boating dog owner who has openly admitted, on this forum, that they let their dog jump off at a bridge hole and carry on boating whilst it runs along side on the towpath doing whatever dogs do.

If our dog Paddy had the audacity to approach Carl, or his family and was thrown into the cut for his pains, Carl would then become Paddy's best friend. There is nothing more that he likes doing than swimming in the canal, all seasons. But, given that as a dog owner and someone who is responsible for training an animal in social skills, I will not allow him to intimidate other dogs, cats or even humans. His behaviour is a reflection of our ability, or, inability to keep him in check. Through persistance and patience, we have taken a truly crazy animal and taught him manners and respect for others and their belongings. Given the chance, he would soon revert back to being an utter nutcase.

To me claiming that a dog is under control by voice alone smacks of complacence or perhaps arrogance, or both

Ever seen a sheep dog? Edited by Doorman

If our dog Paddy had the audacity to approach Carl, or his family and was thrown into the cut for his pains, Carl would then become Paddy's best friend.

This actually happened recently near Brinklow.

Big labrador comes bowling up tongue lolling, tail wagging no owner in sight and knocks my eldest son to the ground and starts licking his face.

I take his collar in one hand and scoop him up with the other and throw him gently in the cut.

I do this because it gives me time to take any other necessary action while the dog is swimming back to the bank.

By this time the owner has appeared, breathlessly apologising whilst I try to explain my actions.

Meanwhile the dog has swum to the bank, buried itself in the hedgerow and reappeared with a large stick which it drops at its owner's feet, waiting for it to be thrown in the cut so it can get wet again.

Nobody was hurt though I don't want a strange dog (or my dogs for that matter) licking my kids' faces so removing the dog and placing it out of harm's way was the appropriate action.

What a great thread downers on dogs and cyclists surely someone can bring fishermen into it some how. Got a full house icecream.gif

My old dog, Tommy once ate the entire contents of an anglers open snap box in one mouthful whilst he was (I thought) under control on a loose lead.

Fortunately I was near my boat so the angler was placated with bacon butties and peace was restored quickly.

• Greenie 1

Ever seen a sheep dog?

Quite - however take the sheepdog away from working those sheep and into an environment where it is not utterly focused on working and it becomes just another dog with all the instinctive reactions any dog has

Should you be bitten whilst throwing said dog in the cut, who would be to blame... you or the dog?

Bod

Edited to correct spelling!

I'm sure Carlt knew the point!

Bod

Edited to correct spelling!

I'm sure Carlt knew the point!

Bod

Yes indeed and if a dog bites me whilst I am stopping it threatening my family then neither me nor the dog is at fault.

The irresponsible owner who cannot control their dog is to blame.

Very good monsiuer Alan clapping.gif Well anyway put it this way. I walk on the path with my dog and sometimes grandkids/kids. I NEVER give way to vehicles known as cyles and never will. They simply have to stop dismount and push their silly bike or of course on some of the wider paths they can go round without problem.

Tim

Given your post above and others it strikes me you've got a bad attitude and go looking for trouble.

Most of us respond to courtesy with courtesy and awkwardness with awkwardness

I don't have a driving instructors qualification but I've held a completely clean licence for 40 years and passed the IAM motorcycle test. I drive and cycle equally (currently about 5000 miles/year for both) so I experienced both sides.

- And I've got a dog.

Most of the dangerous, illegal and inconsiderate behavoir I see on foot, cycle or driving is by motorists.

eg. A flashing speed readout/slowdown sign in a residential road near me is activated by about 50% of the traffic and the large numbers of cars parked illegally blocking pavements didn't drive themselves there.

When did you last cycle?

I think you need to spend some time cycling in today's traffic and you might find a few twats and idiots (your terms) that aren't on bikes.

(silly or otherwise)

Edited by andywatson
  • Greenie 1

Quite - however take the sheepdog away from working those sheep and into an environment where it is not utterly focused on working and it becomes just another dog with all the instinctive reactions any dog has

Any dog's instinct is to either chase other dogs for fun or to fight, it will, given the chance, also chase other animals such as sheep for the same reason. My point in raising the sheep dog issue is that contrary to your claim, dogs can be taught to obey verbal instructions from humans. Another example is sniffer dogs.

If I can teach a raging nutcase Labrador to wait across a lock whilst I walk on the opposite side of the cut some 80 metres away, not to chase cats, worry sheep or attempt to herd his neighbours (cows) into the corner of a field, then with effort and determination anyone else can.

As I said, the dog's behaviour is a reflection upon its owner.

Yes I have also heard the shepherd/shepherdess swearing when it hasn't done exactly as instructed.

If it hasn't done exactly as instructed, then the instructor is to blame, not the dog.

I hook my dog back up on his lead as soon as I see anyone approaching, whether it be a push-bike another dog owner or just someone walking along. Mainly beacuse he is blind and would not spot the cycle or pushchair or other doggie and also because I don't know if the person walking towards me even likes dogs.

Some cyclists have said "thanks" when I've held the dog out of the way for them, although it's more for the dog's safety than theirs but a thankyou is always welcome.

Hell's bells that's a fat dog! ohmy.png

Cyclists: Last weekend the OH and I were taking a stroll down the towpath, checking out the location of the mooring we've just bought, when a lycra-clad cyclist came up behind us. From a sensiible distance behind, he rang his bell and called out, "Excuse me please" ,and as he passed us, "Thank you" That's all it takes!

Dogs: Recently a large dog, off the lead, chased my son's cat down the towpath and right into his boat! When the dog's owner came up my son 'suggested' wink.png that maybe she should keep her dog on the lead, if it was likely to chase other animals. She replied, "Oh, don't make such a fuss! He's only doing what comes naturally to dogs!" Half an hour later, my son saw the dog-owner running back up the towpath, panting "Have you seen my dog? He ran off chasing a deer!" His reply was, "Should have put him on the lead when I ****ing told you to!" laugh.png

Ron Ts reply[can't work out how to get the reply in a separate box,sorry about that]That's fair enough if the ****ing cat was on a lead!

Edited by Ron T

Hell's bells that's a fat dog! ohmy.png

Cyclists: Last weekend the OH and I were taking a stroll down the towpath, checking out the location of the mooring we've just bought, when a lycra-clad cyclist came up behind us. From a sensiible distance behind, he rang his bell and called out, "Excuse me please" ,and as he passed us, "Thank you" That's all it takes!

Dogs: Recently a large dog, off the lead, chased my son's cat down the towpath and right into his boat! When the dog's owner came up my son 'suggested' wink.png that maybe she should keep her dog on the lead, if it was likely to chase other animals. She replied, "Oh, don't make such a fuss! He's only doing what comes naturally to dogs!" Half an hour later, my son saw the dog-owner running back up the towpath, panting "Have you seen my dog? He ran off chasing a deer!" His reply was, "Should have put him on the lead when I ****ing told you to!" laugh.png

Ron Ts reply[can't work out how to get the reply in a separate box,sorry about that]That's fair enough if the ****ing cat was on a lead!

And, presumably, the ****ing deer? wink.png

Any dog's instinct is to either chase other dogs for fun or to fight, it will, given the chance, also chase other animals such as sheep for the same reason. My point in raising the sheep dog issue is that contrary to your claim, dogs can be taught to obey verbal instructions from humans. Another example is sniffer dogs.

If I can teach a raging nutcase Labrador to wait across a lock whilst I walk on the opposite side of the cut some 80 metres away, not to chase cats, worry sheep or attempt to herd his neighbours (cows) into the corner of a field, then with effort and determination anyone else can.

As I said, the dog's behaviour is a reflection upon its owner.

All of which works only as long as the dog's attention is focused on you and/or the job in hand. In the cases you use either the human is totally focused on the dog, the dog is totally focused on the human, or both.

My point is that when the dog's attention is relaxed, the human's attention is relaxed, or both, anything can happen to switch the dog's attention. If it has been taken by surprise, feels threatened, thinks it is time to play, for example, the dog stops being controlled by voice and becomes a creature of instinct again

Edited by Bazza2

I was called a 'miserable sh*te' this morning just for suggesting to some boaters that their dog should be better controlled. A young terrier, it was running round and jumping at the back of my legs. Yes I'm sure it was 'doing no harm', as they said, but they made absolutely no effort to stop it and were very grumpy with me for telling to to go away.

I've never had a dog, but surely when they are young is when they should be taught how to behave?

We lost a lovely cat some years ago because uncontrolled terriers got into the garden and killed it while it was trying to protect its kittens.

Tim