Been offered a swap for my generator is it worth it

Trix

Featured Posts

I have a very loud honda generator it pumps out about 2kva I think , a friend of mine has a small 2 stroke one that is very quiet and has offered me some cash and his as a swap , is it worth it , I only really use it for charging bits and very rarely at that , mainly because I think that its so noisey . I was thinking if I had the quiet and more economical one I could possible use my Tv and a few other things that I don't use because my inverter eats the batteries . The small one is around 700 watts i think but I may have that wrong .

I have a very loud honda generator it pumps out about 2kva I think , a friend of mine has a small 2 stroke one that is very quiet and has offered me some cash and his as a swap , is it worth it , I only really use it for charging bits and very rarely at that , mainly because I think that its so noisey . I was thinking if I had the quiet and more economical one I could possible use my Tv and a few other things that I don't use because my inverter eats the batteries . The small one is around 700 watts i think but I may have that wrong .

No. Honda make a much better, more reliable and more economical genny then anyone else. A 2-stroke replacement would be smokier,smellier and much more expensive to run. Plus it's less than half the power even if that 700 Watts is continuous.

Why is your mate getting rid? Because they know a really good deal when they see one??

No connection with Honda!

N

There is a Honda EX350 2 stroke generator which is incredibly quiet, doesn't smoke , is lightweight and economical. The output is 300 or 150 watt switchable( the engine runs at a lower speed for 150watt). If you are offered one of these , grab it . They fetch a good price second hand, you won't be disappointed if you only need the low power output.

Bill

I've got a 2 stroke gennie. It's rated at 700W continuous and it's noisy, a lot noisier than 4 stroke ones. Can be a real pain to start especially if the mixture is wrong and the plug's fouled - I keep a spare plug to get it going. It also has the ability to make the cut disappear in a blue haze when fully loaded. Stick with the Honda.

There is a Honda EX350 2 stroke generator which is incredibly quiet, doesn't smoke , is lightweight and economical. The output is 300 or 150 watt switchable( the engine runs at a lower speed for 150watt). If you are offered one of these , grab it . They fetch a good price second hand, you won't be disappointed if you only need the low power output.

Bill

That really does look a good bit of kit for light loads. I didn't know Honda did 2 stroke gennies. There are a few on ebay at the moment and a demo on you tube..

Bill

Even better is the EX500, same as EX350 except that it's 200/450 watt and pure-sine-wave. I have one of these and I'm really pleased with it. Small and light enough to store in the gas locker. None of the 4-stroke Hondas would fit through the hatch. Rare as hen's teeth though, the EX500.

MP.

Even better is the EX500, same as EX350 except that it's 200/450 watt and pure-sine-wave. I have one of these and I'm really pleased with it. Small and light enough to store in the gas locker. None of the 4-stroke Hondas would fit through the hatch. Rare as hen's teeth though, the EX500.

MP.

I believe the ex350 was the first 'inverter generator' so is the ex500 the same? my favourite, the ex650 is a normal generator as is my kawasaki GD700 which I think is the smallest generator made with electric start - a generator for the lazy :lol:

(i like generators)

I didn't know Honda made loud generators? I guess it must be one of those frame types?

As you suggest, there is a difference between a "Honda Generator" and a frame generator which happens to have an engine made by Honda. I have an old 2kva Honda-engined frame genny in my shed and it is far from quiet when running.

MtB

I believe the ex350 was the first 'inverter generator' so is the ex500 the same? my favourite, the ex650 is a normal generator as is my kawasaki GD700 which I think is the smallest generator made with electric start - a generator for the lazy laugh.png

(i like generators)

Yes, the Ex500 is an inverter genny. It looks identical to the EX350, it just has more output power and a PSW invertor rather than a MSW one. I think there's also a much older 4-stroke Honda model also called the EX500, just to really confuse things.

MP.

Ex650 is the muts nuts of gennys, old fashioned no inverter but whisper quite and general bullet proof. My Clarke 1000g is crap compared to the ex650 I had on loan until the foc Clarke turned up.

what I have is the HP 3000 6.5hp engine runs lovely but very loud it is the frame type , am now wondering if I could put a better exhaust on it , maybe one off my c90 lol