Securely fix picture frames

rbateman

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Had a search but couldn't seem to find a decent search term that yielded a result, so I was wondering: what's the best method for securing pictures frames? Some people have mentioned double-sided tape, but the links in results were dead and these frames are quite large(30cm x 20cm), so I was hoping for some live links and personal experience. Ideally the solution would be without having to drill into the frames, but that's possibly just wishful thinking on my part.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.ukpictureframingsupplies.co.uk/picture-plate-hangers-41-c.asp

I am assuming you are looking to fasten pictures to the inward sloping walls of a narrow boat

I have seen a painting hung (without glass) that measured about two foot by two foot six inches using just two of these and using half inch size 6 screws. They are very strong but if you were worried about the extra weight of glass you could use two on each side

• Greenie 1

Hi all,

Had a search but couldn't seem to find a decent search term that yielded a result, so I was wondering: what's the best method for securing pictures frames? Some people have mentioned double-sided tape, but the links in results were dead and these frames are quite large(30cm x 20cm), so I was hoping for some live links and personal experience. Ideally the solution would be without having to drill into the frames, but that's possibly just wishful thinking on my part.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Agree with Bazza2.

I have one of those embroideries of the canal system, framed, behind glass, hanging on two of those plates and it hasn't come down yet!

George ex nb Alton retired

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.ukpictureframingsupplies.co.uk/picture-plate-hangers-41-c.asp

I am assuming you are looking to fasten pictures to the inward sloping walls of a narrow boat

I have seen a painting hung (without glass) that measured about two foot by two foot six inches using just two of these and using half inch size 6 screws. They are very strong but if you were worried about the extra weight of glass you could use two on each side

They are what I have used on the boat, At home I have used self adhesive Velcro so the pictures are removable

We use these:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=314385

They hidden behind the picture so nothing on show. Needs some plastic bump stops behind to stop them rattling. Our biggest picture is about 20" x 15", all of them glazed. Pictures can be lifted off easily.

Whilst looking for the link I see that 3M do some self adhesive picture hanging strips.

Regards

Pete

Edited by pearley

For small frames, a small brass eyelet half way down each side, projecting sideways, with a small brass screw through the 'eye' into the wall. The eyelets are often supplied with the frame for hanging from picture wire. For larger frames, a mirror plate screwed to the back of the frames half way down each side then a screw into the wall through each.

Richard

These are great Hangars Like velcro but not the same the sticky sides sticks like shit to a blanket. The advantage over other methods 'no holes' in the woodwork. they come in varying sizes for differing weight pictures. Apply it to the back of the picture then stick it on the wall. Pictures come off easy as does the hanger if you want to move it. Use on on each side of the picture or one in each corner if you feel it would be safer.

Edited by Maffi

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

On my boat I use stick-on velcro to avoid drilling. It's easier to remove than double sided tape, as you can remove the picture and then peel it off.

I'm sure you know how to find Fleabay.....

Edited by PaulG

We use these:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=314385

They hidden behind the picture so nothing on show.

I've used those too. I mounted mine so the pictures slide on sideways, and there is no rattle or movement of any kind even with fairly heavy watercolours mounted behind glass. It was useful too in that we had a burglary in Paris, and from the dirty finger marks the scrote tried to get one of the more valuable ones but couldn't work out how to get it off the wall.