Anyone seen Oates or Baltic?

Paul H

Featured Posts

As you may have gathered from my posts about NB Prince I have more than a passing interest in BCN icebreakers, or iceboats to be pedantic.

There are two I'd like to photograph but have lost track of, both have been motorised and fitted with cabins.

Oates was last seen with a blue cabin with counter conversion and apparantly visted the last Kelvin rally at Napton.

Baltic was last seen around Marsworth with a grey cabin and still with a butty-style "elum." (rudder)

Anyone know wher they moor these days?

Many thanks.

Paul H

According to Roger Fullers historicboats pages which i am currently hosting, baltic was last at Pitstone Wharfe, however, im aware that the pages are not overly upto date, although due for a major overhall shortly.

Also, was baltic not at the branston rally, or im geting confused?

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I'd noticed that my bookmark to Roger fuller's historic boats pages had gone dead. Good news that you've taken it over.

What's the new url?

Yes Baltic has left Pitstone - i imagine there's quite a lot of updating to do!

Paul H

Yes, there hosting of the site fell though when orange look over freeserve/wannado and i rescued it from webarchine.org and am now tempererally hosting of them on the backend of my own site.

The direct address is http://www.spurstow.com/rogerfuller/

- They are planning to update the site, and rehost it, using the origanal domain name (www.canalnarrowboats.com) as soon as possable.

Daniel

Yes, there hosting of the site fell though when orange look over freeserve/wannado and i rescued it from webarchine.org and am now tempererally hosting of them on the backend of my own site.

The direct address is http://www.spurstow.com/rogerfuller/

- They are planning to update the site, and rehost it, using the origanal domain name (www.canalnarrowboats.com) as soon as possable.

Daniel

Pleased to see something is finally happening here, though being a lifelong pessimist I suspect the historic boats section will continue to be neglected. I know in the past that Roger has declined offers to moderate/webmaster the working boats pages. .......NEWS U/Dated 23/11/2001 says it all..... :angry:

Fingers crossed that fhings will improve.

Yeah well, i think theres a half decent chance.

- But as you say, we'll have to just wait and see what happens.

- Roger obvously has many other things to do ontop of run a small webpage, and as far as i can tell, infact not an overly computer-centered sort of person.

- That said, he's son is very fairly hands on, and seams kean to get all the pages updated as time/effort allows.

Daniel

• 7 months later...
Yeah well, i think theres a half decent chance.

- But as you say, we'll have to just wait and see what happens.

- Roger obvously has many other things to do ontop of run a small webpage, and as far as i can tell, infact not an overly computer-centered sort of person.

- That said, he's son is very fairly hands on, and seams kean to get all the pages updated as time/effort allows.

Daniel

Hi Paul/anyone whos interested just to let you know Ive recently rebuilt my site and the historic lists on there after the last webhosting package went screwy and a small illness I suffered. I communicated with Roger when I originally set the site up and we agreed to me including his information into mine and Im pleased with the new look of the site. Have a look and PM me on here if you have any comments or email me via the site itself.

Andy

Hi Paul/anyone whos interested just to let you know Ive recently rebuilt my site and the historic lists on there after the last webhosting package went screwy and a small illness I suffered. I communicated with Roger when I originally set the site up and we agreed to me including his information into mine and Im pleased with the new look of the site. Have a look and PM me on here if you have any comments or email me via the site itself.

Andy

Just to say I find Andy's site invaluable and it's always my first port of call!

• 2 years later...
Paul

Did you ever manage to get an upto date picture of Baltic? Would love to see it if you did.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

Sorry no pictures but AFAIK it is still in Bath. Someone recently told me who you are - I imagine you have fond memories of Baltic.

Paul H

Hi Mark,

Sorry no pictures but AFAIK it is still in Bath. Someone recently told me who you are - I imagine you have fond memories of Baltic.

Paul H

Yeah Baltic is still there (I work for BNB) If i remember anytime soon i'll take a pic. Due to its round hull shes a real shite to step on, keeps trying to fling me off

Thanks I would appreciate that!

Just so you know it was my mum who originally converted Baltic back in the late 70's

One of the guys (can't remeber his name, it will come to me later) at your place also knows my dad (Frank at Bridgewater Boats). Say Hi for him!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi Mark,

Paul H

I do indeed - here are a few of the boat in the early 80's - and a couple at the bottom to give Mr Reynolds a giggle!

005.jpg

003.jpg

004a.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

As you may have gathered from my posts about NB Prince I have more than a passing interest in BCN icebreakers, or iceboats to be pedantic.

There are two I'd like to photograph but have lost track of, both have been motorised and fitted with cabins.

Oates was last seen with a blue cabin with counter conversion and apparantly visted the last Kelvin rally at Napton.

Baltic was last seen around Marsworth with a grey cabin and still with a butty-style "elum." (rudder)

Many thanks.

Paul H

Love the photos of Baltic in the previous posts. There is a Baltic classic ice breaker, if it is the same one, down at Sydney Wharf at Bath Narrowboats. The paint job is not as good as the photos and she is looking a bit sad ath rhe moment imo. Phone the Wharf if you want more informaton. She is moored just West of the winding hole there and is painted in a very plain grey colour with no lettering on the cabin sides. Richard the owner I am sure would be glad to chat and share any information. Will try and get a picture of how she is now and post it on the forum.

That is the very same one! If you could get some pics I would love to see them. Don't get down that way very often and is a bit far for me to nip down for a couple of pics.

I still have a few original bits of the boat somewhere - in the shed along with everything else!

Thanks

Mark

That is the very same one! If you could get some pics I would love to see them. Don't get down that way very often and is a bit far for me to nip down for a couple of pics.

I still have a few original bits of the boat somewhere - in the shed along with everything else!

Thanks

Mark

Mark

See what I can do!

Many thanks.

Paul H

Don't know about Baltic but Oates said he was going outside and may be some time. :lol:

Thanks I would appreciate that!

Just so you know it was my mum who originally converted Baltic back in the late 70's

One of the guys (can't remeber his name, it will come to me later) at your place also knows my dad (Frank at Bridgewater Boats). Say Hi for him!

Got four photos of Baltic taken this morning, .jpg images stored on my computer. Don't have a clue how to post them. Anyone got any ideas/suggestions?

Got four photos of Baltic taken this morning, .jpg images stored on my computer. Don't have a clue how to post them. Anyone got any ideas/suggestions?

Start yourself a CWDF album, upload the photos into your album and then post them from your album into the thread. Click on 'My Albums' and go from there.

There are threads on how to post photos in 'Technical & Account Support'

Ditchdabbler