Zinc Phosphate Primer

DustyDave

Featured Posts

I've got quite a bit of painting to do on my boat this year. I'm taking large areas back to bare metal. Previously I'd been using Rylards zinc phosphate primer but I noticed it was significantly cheaper from Limekiln Chandlers. Unfortunately that is a 30 mile trip for me or quite a high postage rate (due to weight). For something so basic as primer I'd have thought I could get it more locally (Gloucester area). Does anybody know where I can buy 2.5l or 5l cans of primer (Limekiln is sub £20 for 2.5l).

Cheers,

Dave

• 1 year later...

if you go to a Dulux shop, be sure your wearing well sealed Pampers.

Bit of a thread revival, but...

Aside from the price of their branded outlets, can anyone pass comment on Dulux's Zinc Phoshate primer?

Daniel

Hi Dave,

This is my first post so.. Hello all, I have been trawling this site and others for when I get a boat which is hopefully this weekend, so to your question on paint I have found this company http://www.smithandallan.com/about.aspx they deal in industrial paints, £16.75 +vat for 5ltr zinc phosphate primer, don't know what the P&P is but worth finding out. They also have a lotof other useful stuff check out there two pack epoxy etc...

Glenn

Hi Dave,

This is my first post so.. Hello all, I have been trawling this site and others for when I get a boat which is hopefully this weekend, so to your question on paint I have found this company http://www.smithandallan.com/about.aspx they deal in industrial paints, £16.75 +vat for 5ltr zinc phosphate primer, don't know what the P&P is but worth finding out. They also have a lotof other useful stuff check out there two pack epoxy etc...

Glenn

I have also noticed that the company in Genn's link, above, also sell Creosote!

Aside from the price of their branded outlets, can anyone pass comment on Dulux's Zinc Phoshate primer?

Daniel

I can’t answer your question Daniel, but on the general subject of primers, I can add to the mix the advice I have recently received. T Nielesen and Co in Gloucester are doing some work on my wooden boat and for all the paint work I need to do (a lot) on both metal and wood, they recommended ‘Jotun Vinyguard Silvergrey 88’.

Witham oil and paint sell it, they are near me and I will be coming to Braunston next weekend. BUT they only recommend brush application for small areas. I have used this paint and it goes off hard very fast leaving brush lines that are not easy to sand down.

http://www.withamgroup.co.uk/woco/industrial-undercoats-and-primers/