Mooring at Loughborough this weekend

PeteS

Featured Posts

I was planning to stop at Loughborough this Friday for 1 night and then suddenly realised that the festival is on this weekend.

Is anybody there who can advise on mooring, please?

Just go straight through Loughborough and moor up just above Barrow deep lock ,good pub and local shops.

Local word has it the basin is full now, to the extent people are struggling to get in for water.

I'm in the basin right now and there is space for a 70 footer and the water point is empty!!

Also, tomorrow i shall be starting my first world cruise as a live aboard, so another space will be available by around tennish, that is, if i can take the useless rechargable vacuum back to Halfords by then!!

Have fun at the weekend.

Nipper

There is still plenty of space in the "allotted" area though i suspect this will fill up with those people who have booked a space. The organiser has been allotted 1800m of towpath from the Albion and under the bridge onto the canal that runs alongside the main road by CRT. They confirmed this to me today. This 1800m space finishes at the little gate down from the Boat Inn. We have moored there outside the area as we did not manage to book a space. Plenty of room behind us for anyone who wants to come down with their boat. I sympathise with those boaters who have always attended and now find someone has decided to make a charge. I believe its always been a free to attend Festival and this new way of doing things has upset a number of people as has the attitude of the new member of the events organisation team. I hope its a lesson learnt for that particular person if he intends to be a part of it next year. A more softly softly approach would produce much better results and make for a super event.

• Greenie 1

was it you i shared a couple of locks with on the way to thurmaston today?

there were afew spaces around the curve yesterday morning

Yes it was - thought you looked familiar. Have you been to some of the local banters?

We'll be going towards Leicester at the weekend to avoid the Loughborough scrum and becuase I want to sail at Syston on Saturday afyternoon.

it's generally a bit of a family fete, though this year that are a lot more boat traders I believe, and a few working boats there too, so it is finally getting to be more of a water based festival rather than just a waterside festival. Trip boats and canoes etc, and some local entertainment of various sorts, and lots of stalls. And it's free. If you come by boat, please don't nick our space!! Our boat isn't arriving until friday pm!!

Yes it was - thought you looked familiar. Have you been to some of the local banters?

We'll be going towards Leicester at the weekend to avoid the Loughborough scrum and becuase I want to sail at Syston on Saturday afyternoon.

yes I was at the xmas banter. knew your face was familiar.

didn't manage to squash me in the locks boat.gif

it's generally a bit of a family fete, though this year that are a lot more boat traders I believe, and a few working boats there too, so it is finally getting to be more of a water based festival rather than just a waterside festival. Trip boats and canoes etc, and some local entertainment of various sorts, and lots of stalls. And it's free. If you come by boat, please don't nick our space!! Our boat isn't arriving until friday pm!!

There is a boat moored before the bridge just before you turn left for the basin and a hugggeee space behind it. If you are coming down with your boat leave this place free for Ally and "Off The Rails" from Beacon Boats ....................pretty please :)

Can anyone tell me where I can park nearby as I am looking t visit by road?

you would be best off parking on belton road in the retail park carpark. just across the road from the festival.

If anyone is walking through on Sunday, please come & say hello to us on the beacon boat, "off the rails" near the bridge. You don't need to want a new boat, just say hello to stop us getting as bored as we did today!

I'm so pleased that it's a better year for the festival than last year!

We were stranded in Loughborough this time last year by a flooded Soar - it was really sad because the majority of the spots marked "reserved for traders" remained empty, while we were phoning our local BW guy every day to ask if we could escape yet! There was just Iona and my mum & dad's boat Monty in the basin and not much else around.

427790_10151566779355109_892674597_n.jpg

Hoping it's a great weekend and the weather's good for you :cheers:

Wow, it got really busy today! Loads better trading day. They really should run it Sunday & Monday, not Saturday & Sunday!

Strange isn't it, I overheard one stall holder saying it was a lot quieter today?

I really enjoyed it and had a good day out. There were a few characters about.

1.jpg

P1030150.jpg

few piccies from yesterday

shiny boats

DSC_0858_zps5991d7aa.jpg

decorated boats

DSC_0859_zps5bffd3e0.jpg

lots of traders

DSC_0860_zps4df7a1d4.jpg

some saying it was slow

DSC_0861_zps669e2ea2.jpg

some saying it was fast

DSC_0862_zps056931ff.jpg

fun for all the family

DSC_0870_zpse88659c5.jpg

DSC_0863_zps8d7f595b.jpg

ah, a canal festival, lets show them how fast I can go.....

DSC_0869_zpsc1a78dc8.jpg

DSC_0866_zps7f4d4b04.jpg