Cycling / Camping down the canal :) where to go? :

bramley

Featured Posts

Howdy all, I hope your all well.

I wondered what your thoughts were really I have been getting into my biking recently and enjoy a nice bike ride down the GU fairly regular, usually 15 miles.

However the other day i stopped and sat on a bench for a little while and came up with a plan to spend 3 days away cycling the canal and tenting in the evenings, bank side of course.

I dont really want to end up in any citys or towns however cycling through is fine so I would need to plan it a little, I'm undecided if I should do my usual trip of on at Leighton Buzzard and head north, I can then grab a train back to Leighton very easy so no need to turn around or to drive to a canal I have never seen or been on before.The downside of driving is its only 1.5 days either way give or take.

Do any of you guys ever see many campers out there? also I would be setting up with a little gas stove etc but water is a bit of a issue, I could use my BW key for essential fill ups but wondered if you ever get asked for a fill up of water? knowing how grumpy some boaters are you would really want to pick the right boat lol..

Any recommendations of area or canal? I would imagine 40 - 50 - 60 miles a day would be fairly ok, I usually do 15 to mk and back but that's with no luggage.

Ideally there wants to be a pub or two along the way for toilet breaks and a beer.

Bit of a weird one but there we go :)

Ross

Having seen the state of many towpaths I wouldn't cycle them since the risk of ending up in the cut is too great.. (I'm a roadie, not a mountain biker). If you do decide to do it I'd consider attaching a float to your bike with a piece of rope, then when it does go in you at least have a chance to recover it..

The way I feel about cyclists on towpaths, the best place for your bike is on the road where it belongs, and not on the towpath, digging it up, harrasing walkers and their dogs and generally being a pain in the rear end.

Welome and good luck, your plan looks OK to me.

I think most boaters would give you some water. I've given long distance cyclists and paddlers cups of tea etc.

Conduct yourself and ride courteously and most people will respond in kind.

Some people moan about bikes on the towpath and also moan about bikes on the road.

Edited by andywatson

Wow - 50 miles a day makes even our mammoth cruising days look small !!!

Unlike some we have no probs with cyclists on towpaths as long as they are courteous & have a bell!! - some of our local towpaths are recognised cycle paths (Do you still need the bw C&RT cycle permit?)

From Leighton its around 100 miles to Fradley Junction - so in yr scope, down the GU, detour around or over Braunston tunnel , then Norhern Oxford, Coventry to Fradley - Continue up to near Woodend - plenty of space there as towpath is wide perhaps - then back down T&M to Burton upon Trent & train home - What a great trip !

Have a friend who did Burton to Wood end by bike & back over a bank hol weekend with a tent - had a great time, no negative comments - just asked him about water - he got water of boaters (mostly canal timers !!!)

Showers at Fradley too so a good route ?