River Severn

dominicebs

Featured Posts

Very new to this and now living afloat - lovely. A lot of journeys for me would involve a short stretch of the river Severn between Worcester and Stourport and that makes me nervous - partly as I am inexperienced and partly becuase a lot of the time I am solo handling. Am i right to be nervous - also - more importantly - is this something that I should not tackle alone

Provided the river is not in flood it should be easy. Don't drink too much before setting off. Have your ropes ready to use in locks - you will normally need head and stern ropes - and you anchor ready to deploy in case of mishap.

Arthur

We did the River Severn from Stourport to Tewkesbury a few weeks ago and every lock was automated and manned by a lock keeper. No ropes either bow or stern were requested. Although we did only travel during the day. There were boards by each lock indicating open times, suggesting that these are not locks that you can operate yourself. Other than locks, lovely easy but as suggested avoid in floods but they close the locks then anyway.

Edited by KiwiMum

I think I`m right in saying that the locks have vertical stainless steel bars to put a loop round so no need to use the bankside bollards, makes it easy and safe,

Yes and single handed you can go right up to the gates, pass your centre line round the bar, then reverse back so the bar is nearer to the centre line attachment point. No problem to hold the boat like this. then when moving out of the lock you can recover the line as you pass the bar again.

Richard

Unlike the Avon and Thames where they are precious about securing the boat with ropes in locks (a dangerous practice in my opinion), on the Severn they don't care. Last time we did it we just held aforementioned steel cables but really there was no tendency for the boat to move around provided you are on the correct side of the lock (the lockkeepers make it clear which side to go as it varies with different locks). In a battle between strong water flow and a 20 tonne boat, vs some pathetic human holding a rope, which is likely to win? So what's the point!

Edited by nicknorman

If I am single-handed then I would normally wear a auto-inflating lifejacket, particularly when coming into locks, mooring etc. They are light and don't get in the way and after a while you forget you are wearing one.

The main difference between canals and rivers is that if you do fall in while mooring on a river:

• it can be much harder to get to the bank

• there are less likely to be passing walkers to help.
Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Unlike the Avon and Thames where they are precious about securing the boat with ropes in locks (a dangerous practice in my opinion), on the Severn they don't care. Last time we did it we just held aforementioned steel cables but really there was no tendency for the boat to move around provided you are on the correct side of the lock (the lockkeepers make it clear which side to go as it varies with different locks). In a battle between strong water flow and a 20 tonne boat, vs some pathetic human holding a rope, which is likely to win? So what's the point!

Going upstream on the Avon, you do need to secure the boat with ropes. The gate paddles cause a strong circulation of water in the locks and you are very likely to cause damage if you don't keep the boat under control.

With a NB, you take the line from the t-stud, round one of the onshore bollards, and back round the t-stud on the bow. Then it's very easy to hold the rope against the movement of the boat.

If you open the paddle that is on the same side of the boat first, the circulation will naturally move the boat forward against the bow rope, which holds the boat tight against the wall of the lock.

Hi Nick

The rules are there for the good of all not just single boaters in a lock. If on your own it may be no problem although opening the top paddles quickly on an unsecured boat in a Trent lock would let you know the colour of adrenelin !! If I didnt have my crew at work secure us in a lock with a spring the other boats in with us would be in a whole heap of trouble !!

Tim

Hi Nick

The rules are there for the good of all not just single boaters in a lock. If on your own it may be no problem although opening the top paddles quickly on an unsecured boat in a Trent lock would let you know the colour of adrenelin !! If I didnt have my crew at work secure us in a lock with a spring the other boats in with us would be in a whole heap of trouble !!

Tim

Yes but that is the Trent where the locks can be self-operated, and I'm not really familiar with any except Sawley. On the Severn they are all keeper-operated and we found no reason to hold the wires - we did, but the boat didn't want to move - on all the locks going uphill from Tewkesbury to Stourport. The lockies didnt really seem to care whether we were holding on or not, and suggested we didn't rope up (can be dangerous in itself, as I said). By contrast of course Tewkesbury lock on the Avon (keeper operated) said it would be more than his job's worth to let us descend the lock as the sole occupier without holding fore and aft ropes. Again, the boat didn't move (not surprising going down!).

You will recall that this thread is about the Severn, and my post was about the Severn. I am not suggesting that ropes are inappropriate for all river locks - apart from anything else I have limited experience in large river / commercial locks. I was merely pointing out that for the Severn, ropes are not necessary and its barely necessary to hold the wires. As I mentioned, being attached by ropes to a structure when the water level is changing rapidly carries its own modest risk (rope jam etc) and I also maintain that if the lock is really fierce, holding a 20 tonne narrowboat with a bit of rope is unlikey to beat a strong sideways water flow - more likely the holder gets pulled in or otherwise hurt.

Yes but that is the Trent where the locks can be self-operated, and I'm not really familiar with any except Sawley. On the Severn they are all keeper-operated and we found no reason to hold the wires - we did, but the boat didn't want to move - on all the locks going uphill from Tewkesbury to Stourport. The lockies didnt really seem to care whether we were holding on or not, and suggested we didn't rope up (can be dangerous in itself, as I said). By contrast of course Tewkesbury lock on the Avon (keeper operated) said it would be more than his job's worth to let us descend the lock as the sole occupier without holding fore and aft ropes. Again, the boat didn't move (not surprising going down!).

You will recall that this thread is about the Severn, and my post was about the Severn. I am not suggesting that ropes are inappropriate for all river locks - apart from anything else I have limited experience in large river / commercial locks. I was merely pointing out that for the Severn, ropes are not necessary and its barely necessary to hold the wires. As I mentioned, being attached by ropes to a structure when the water level is changing rapidly carries its own modest risk (rope jam etc) and I also maintain that if the lock is really fierce, holding a 20 tonne narrowboat with a bit of rope is unlikey to beat a strong sideways water flow - more likely the holder gets pulled in or otherwise hurt.

Hi Nick

I have done the severn many times and agree the locks are no where near the strength of the Trent although Sawley lock is miniscule and not like many others. The point I was trying to make is that securing a boat is for the good of other lock users if present not just one boat. I too never secured my narrowboats in some, mainly narrow locks but narrowboats are small and light ( even a 70 footer ) in the greater scheme of things.

Rope jamming is of course a real possibility. I always carry a sharp axe fore and aft readily at hand, always have done, a tight rope will part immediately with one blow.

Tim

Hi Nick

I have done the severn many times and agree the locks are no where near the strength of the Trent although Sawley lock is miniscule and not like many others. The point I was trying to make is that securing a boat is for the good of other lock users if present not just one boat. I too never secured my narrowboats in some, mainly narrow locks but narrowboats are small and light ( even a 70 footer ) in the greater scheme of things.

Rope jamming is of course a real possibility. I always carry a sharp axe fore and aft readily at hand, always have done, a tight rope will part immediately with one blow.

Tim

I think we can agree to agree! Certainly if sharing a lock with a plastic tub we are always concerned about the possibility of crushing it and therefore rope accordingly.