4lw

kris88

Featured Posts

Is that the one in bits that was (briefly) on ebay?

I'd go for a PRM, at least a 260, but it might rattle at tickover if the engine has a light (vehicle) flywheel. That ebay engine was described as having come from a generator, but it clearly started life as a vehicle engine.

Raised hand start needs lots of bits, good luck finding them, possibly a longer crankshaft, and hand start needs a heavy flywheel.

Tim

A PRM260's max power input even for leisure use is 3.65bhp/100 rpm. A 4LW giving 75bhp @ 1700 rpm will exceed this by a fair margin although I appreciate it may be a rare occurrence.

A PRM500 would be a better bet.

A PRM260's max power input even for leisure use is 3.65bhp/100 rpm. A 4LW giving 75bhp @ 1700 rpm will exceed this by a fair margin although I appreciate it may be a rare occurrence.

{snip}

Perhaps not that rare. I have had our engine stalled by stuff around the prop. It sounds like the 4LW would just keep running by slipping the clutch plates

Richard

I must admit I didn't check the ratings, I agree bigger would be better.

I wouldn't run a 4LW as a boat engine up to that rating, but it's really the torque which is relevant to the gearbox and that is much the same.

Mine is rated in theory at 56 bhp @ 1500 rpm, from memory, but the actual figure is fairly academic.

Tim

It is the one that was on ebay, what about if I could find a Gardner box would that be better I thought that about hand start but its good to ask
Regards kris

The Gardner box would need the big marine flywheel. The boxes can sometimes be picked up quite cheaply, they were an excellent box but hellishly expensive to rebuild.

I've got an SCG MRF 350 HD which came off my 4LW, would take a much bigger engine, needs a new selector (might be possible to repair the old one if I can find all the bits).

Good boxes, VV expensive when new, PM me if interested. I have the manual for it.

Tim

Edit - this picture shows what looks like an MRF 350 on a 6-cyl Gardner.

These people might be able to help with parts.

Edited by Timleech

• 1 month later...

You where right Tim its a lorry engine so lite flywheel unfortunately. I'd like to use a Gardner gearbox to avoid the need for adaptor plate, so does that mean I need to find a heavy fly wheel if so where might I find one

Regards kris

We have supplied various LWs with both heavy and lightweight flywheels coupled to a wide variety of gearboxes. Mounting a PRM is straightfoward and has none of the alignment and end float issues encountered with the Gardner boxes.Some of the bearings are hard to get for Gardner boxes too. Unless there is an compelling reason for fitting a Gardner box I would always go for a modern PRM. As to flywheels ,we have a very thick billet LW flywheel here from a South African locomotive. It would probably take half a day for the LW to get up to speed with that bolted on! Bet the tickover would be impressive though.

So if I fitted a prm box it would be okay with the light flywheel or would I need to replace it.

I'd have to make up amounting plate as well I'm presuming ?

Sorry to ask dum questions but this is all new to me and I'm trying to get it straight in my head

Luckily I have a very talented friend with workshop helping me

What sort of reduction do you think I'd need

Sorry I don't know the size of the prop at the moment

Regards kris

PRM boxes will tend to rattle or clatter at low speeds with a light flywheel (they are not the only ones).

You could get some extra inertia by getting a plate machined to bolt to your existing flywheel.

We had a 4LW with 2:1 box in a Sheffield Keel, driving IIRC a 28" prop, worked very well.

Tim