Featured Posts

Could this new Conservative government not forget about fox hunting and invent hippy hunting?

Any smelly hippy emptying an Elsan into the K&A gets the Doberman treatment?

CRT could be sued for discrimination - chasing up some but letting the Great Unwashed Pot-Smokers unbovvered?

Oh, I forgot, they are against nukes. So they have the right to sponge.

Good thing about the K&A is that it's furry rat free. Rats despise lentils and tofu.

Are you drunk???

Are you offering alcohol?

strange that waterways are cleaner now than they ever were, yet the population apparently suffers from all sorts of diseases that my generation had never even heard of.

when I was a teenager in the 60's I was a regular canoeist and I swam in the Thames at Reading nearly every day for at least 3 years as part of my fitness regime, and I never suffered as much as a dose of flu.

I reckon that these new diseases were 'invented' since that time.

McDonalds invented the McHeartAttack.

The missus and I were forever trying to train our dog not to drink canal water. We have found out that it is not possible. A thirsty dog will drink water anywhere he can find it, and has therefore been drinking canal water for his entire 5-year life on our boat, so far.

He is very healthy according to his annual visit to the vet's.

Do dogs develop an immunity to foetid water, or are they just very different to us yewman beans?

Anyone care to try with this with their new-born baby, having it drink canal water daily, and report back here in about 10 years' time?

(That was supposed to be humorous, by the way, Mr (or Mrs) Moderator!)

• 2 months later...

Last year whilst on the Weaver, I got talking to an elderly chap who was on his own. Seemed a character. He moored I believe on the Bridgewater and has an annual trip onto the river as only one lock was involved in his journey from Manchester.

I don't really know how the conversation turned to waste disposal, but it did. I probably mentioned the lack of facilities in the general area. Wondering how he coped, his reply was,

" Chuck it in the river, I do. It does no harm"

I was somewhat dumbstruck !

On the River Great Ouse, sea toilets are still allowed.

• 8 years later...
On 20/04/2013 at 14:13, flickadancer said:

Hello,

I was out cruising with my husband on the Kennet and Avon canal when I had the misfortune to fall in and as it was deep to inadvertently swallow a mouthful of water.

I fell in under a bridge and found that the towpath was so undercut I couldn't kick myself out on the bank as my feet had disappeared under the bank and the water was at least six feet deep. Luckily a passer by came and hauled me out as I had been going on ahead of the boat to prepare the next lock and my husband was nowhere in sight.

I have been horribly and disgustingly ill since then.

What I would like to say is that the canal seems to me to be nothing better than an open sewer, as I have actually seen people emptying their elsans directly into it, and have a photo to prove this, and that all along the canal are a series of permanently or semi permanently moored boats that never seem to have gone anywhere all winter let alone the pump out or elsan emptying point. These boats are being lived on. Where are they putting their sewage? In the canal of course.

I would like to call on CART to police these boats and to find out exactly what they do with their sewage and fine them accordingly.

Farmers are not allowed to pollute their land or nearby waterways in any way and would be heavily fined if they did so. Why should these dirty people get away with doing so?

Incidentally I sent the photo to both CART and the EA and NEITHER of them did a thing about it. Spineless, or rather, just turning a blind eye to something they know is going on everywhere.

I am sure I am not the first person to suffer a horrible illness after having fallen in this dirty canal (where my husband used to swim regularly as a boy - BEFORE it was restored and filled with dirty boaters) as the assistant at the chemists where my husband went for my medication told him she frequently has people in suffering after falls in the canal.

Obviously not everyone does this and there are probably many more clean and well behaved boaters than there are dirty ones, but these dirty ones are spoiling the whole canal for the rest of us and turning it into something akin to the Thames before Joseph Bazalgette's sewage system was introduced. Will it take someone getting Cholera before something is done?

Every time I think what I might have ingested I shiver in horror.

Flicka

Those of us who use compost toilets aren't throwing our waste into the canal.

The water is pored into the hedgerow znd then deleted with twice the amount of water. This is the original way of boating.

Those boats you may think are all throwing it in simply aren't.

I knew two clean cut guys living in a boat moving as pee regulations. Who were using compost method but dumping waters into the canal. You just never can tell.

Please elaborate on what pee regulations are. I hope I haven’t been breaking the rules without knowing about them.

The original way of boating also included burying waste in holes dug beneath hedges, but thank goodness we have moved on from those days.

Howard

2 hours ago, Captain P said:

The water is pored into the hedgerow znd then deleted with twice the amount of water. This is the original way of boating.

I knew two clean cut guys living in a boat moving as pee regulations. Who were using compost method but dumping waters into the canal. You just never can tell.

It's taken you over 10 years to come up with a reply and that is the best you can do ?

Just wondering - how can you 'delete' water ?

2 hours ago, Captain P said:

Actually, before the hedgerow and spade method, the boat we hired in 1967 used, as if it were the norm, a sea toilet that pumped all directly into the canal.

I suspect that working boats from the outset used hedgerows but without an elsan bucket or spade.