Wiring ignition barrel - help!

Featured Posts

I unscrewed the interior dash of my boat in order to fit cladding to the ceiling, but have found that as it dangled all the spades came off the back of the ignition barrel, and i can't figure out which one goes where. I've been looking for a wiring guide online and have found a million people selling the same barrel but no fitting guide. If anyone could tell me what goes where that'd be great - see link below for images...

http://www.jcrsupplies.co.uk/products/SWITCHES_AND_WARNING_INDICATOR_LAMPS/IGNITION_SWITCHES/4_POSITION_IGNITION_SWITCH_OFF-IGNITION-PRE_HEAT-HEAT_START_035106.html

I unscrewed the interior dash of my boat in order to fit cladding to the ceiling, but have found that as it dangled all the spades came off the back of the ignition barrel, and i can't figure out which one goes where. I've been looking for a wiring guide online and have found a million people selling the same barrel but no fitting guide. If anyone could tell me what goes where that'd be great - see link below for images...

http://www.jcrsupplies.co.uk/products/SWITCHES_AND_WARNING_INDICATOR_LAMPS/IGNITION_SWITCHES/4_POSITION_IGNITION_SWITCH_OFF-IGNITION-PRE_HEAT-HEAT_START_035106.html

I think this should tell you how to identify the terminals but as the wiring colours vary you will have to work out which wire is which.

http://www.tb-training.co.uk/MarineE06.html#The ignition switch

Edited by Tony Brooks

Hmm.

I have four wires as follows -

Blue (large spade) heater plugs

Brown (large spade) seems to go to starter

grey (smaller spade) would also seem to go to starter

red (small spade) goes to all the dials and seems to end up at the fuel pump.

So that would surely mean blue goes to 3, brown to 1 (the only other large spade) grey to 4 and red...1? 2? No sign of life either way, and seemingly no other wires. My brain erts...

I agree that It would almost unique in auto electrics that they would be labelled logically but that's how I read the Durite document and seems logical looking at the picture. Ie 1 large spade in chained to a smaller (1), 2 spades in accessory (2) large spade for heaters (3) and single spade for start (4). The only other feasible logic is that 1 and 2 are swapped.

Probably the best thing to do is to test it according to tony brook's switching logic but starting from the Durite information and picture.

I don't have one of those switches here to check ('cos I fitted my last one to a trawler in the "summer") but I'm almost certain that the connections do NOT run in the logical numerical order you might expect, ie 1 supply, 2 ign, 3 glow, 4 start.

On a similar switch I have, they DO run in a logical sequence you describe, (clockwise, looking from the back).

Numbered 1,2,3,4 on the switch in order and definitely connected as Sir Nibble's list.

The numbers of spades for each connection match too, (2 each on 1&2, but only 1 on 3&4), although I think the position of each relative to each other is subtly different.

However I think mine may be a Lucas rather than a Durite switch, (but may be wrong).

I think based on what you have said Alex's order may well be correct.