Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
nicknorman

Insurance4Carhire excess cover

Featured Posts

Since we live in Aberdeen and fly down to our boat, sometimes we decide to hire a car rather than just getting a train / bus / taxi to the boat (15 miles from Bham airport) if we are not going out on the boat and need to get around. You can get some pretty cheap deals with the likes of holiday autos, but there is always the excess on the collision damage waiver, around £800 these days. You can of course pay an exhorbitant daily fee for CDW excess waiver but that can be as much again as the car hire. The company in the topic title offers an annual policy for £42 or so that in the event of damage, although you have to pay the excess up front, you get it back. Any number of hires, max duration of each hire 30 days.

So having hired perhaps 12 times in the last 2 years and never had any damage, when we were hit by a massive stone on the motorway that severely cracked the windscreen last month and a consequential bill for £260, I wondered whether, like some insurance companies, they would be very good at taking the premium but not so keen to actually pay out.

No, I was wrong, less than 2 weeks after I submitted my claim, the money is languishing in my bank account. Well done Insurance4carhire. Just thought I would share that in case anyone else is in the habit of hiring.

• Greenie 1

Good post thank you. Will come in handy when/if we move aboard. Wife will need to travel back to see her mum. Savings/piece of mind will be welcome.

That's good to know because we always use them and I had wondered what might happen in the case of a claim

That's seriously helpful, Nick, thanks.

Makes using Enterprise even better value.

I understand that with enterprise that if someone coins the two doors and bonnet that counts as 3 separate items of damage and so 3 times the possible excess you have to pay if you don't take out the damage insurance.

Thanks, Nick. I was just deciding whether taking out the policy was worthwhile and that has decided it.

I have taken out policies with Insurance4hirecar a few times when we have had foreign holidays, but fortunately have never needed to claim. The cover used to exclude hire contracts taken out within 150 miles of home. I'm not sure if that still applies, but worth checking. ***

A friend of mine had to make a claim several years ago and the company were very good at settling the claim.

** Edited to add: That term appears not to apply now :-)

Edited by PhilR

Sign in to follow this