Travel Power alternator fault

RobH

Featured Posts

My Travel Power 220 v AV 17A alternator keeps failing. If started from cold it will run (i.e. produce an indicated 220 v) for about 15-20 minutes, this regardless of whether it is totally without load or with a moderate (1 to 2 kW) load. Then the voltage fluctuates for a minute or so before dropping to zero. The green light is (usually, but not always) on when the voltage is at 220, off when not; the red light is never seen.

If it is switched on when the engine is hot (so the alternator has been turning but not generating power for several hours) it lasts considerably less time - only 2 to 3 minutes.

It until is almost 12 years old, and has been used mostly on a very light load, with very occasional brief periods of moderate or high load. The engine has recorded a little over 8,000 hours.

The fan within the power box runs while it is producing voltage, but is stopped when it is not.

The alternator drive belt is in good condition and correctly tensioned and the alternator definitely continues to turn when it has failed to produce power.

Can anyone give me a clue of where to go from here?

Many thanks all.

Rob H

Thanks, G&F.

You are absolutely right. I am from the 'if it ain't broke don't fix' it' school, but of course it's time for professional attention. I am on the Oxford,approaching Upper Heyford and heading south to the Thames. Any suggestions of good electrical contractors down here?

Try the bushes first before you send it off to Cox's.

Yes, it's easy to take the block containing the brushes off the back of the alternator. If there's only a short length left then that's almost certainly the problem.

I've been told that the rotor spins regardless of whether the alternator is generating, so the brushes wear even if you're not using the TP.

Brinklow Boat Services have a secondhand TP alternator for sale, taken off a boat which was burnt out when virtually new. The control box was fried in the fire (it was inside the cabin) but the alternator was untouched as it was in the engine compartment. Should add the fire had nothing to do with the TP, it was caused by drying timber next to the solid fuel fire. PM me if interested.

It sounds like it might be brushes but at 8000 hours it is ready for a full rebuild, brushes, sliprings AND Bearings.

A good automotive electrician should be able to do this but Cox Automotive are the experts, and will check out and overhaul the control box at the same time.

If you don't do the bearings very soon then they will fail spectacularly and the rotor will hit the stator!

I think 6000 hours plus is bearing time???

Mr Cox will still fix it but it will cost more!

No connection with Cox's other than giving them lots of money when the bearings failed!!!!!!

............Dave