Identifying Battery Type

rbateman

Featured Posts

I bought three 110AH Dual Purpose 12v batteries without thinking to ask what type of battery they are. They seem to be sealed (i.e. no place to top up water) and don't have any branding, though what labels they do have seem pretty similar to the Lucas brand of batteries. When setting up my charger and battery monitoring system, though, I need to know what kind they are - would it be safe to assume they're gel-based?

Thanks!

Now, I will answer this for those that do not know;

Valve Regulated Lead Acid.

The valve 'normally' closed is very similar to the prv (Pressure Relief Valve) on your calorifier and does the same thing, if the pressure in the battery gets to high it releases that pressure and you may lose some acid/water and/or hydrogen gas. (the gas is volatile, that is why batteries must be in a well ventilated space).

It stops the battery exploding due to high pressure, that can be caused by high voltage charging or a battery fault.

If the valve does release any acid/water, there is not an easy way to replace it and should be avoided for the 'health' of your batteries

Edited by bottle

At that price they may very well NOT be sealed, Many apparently sealed batteries at the lower end of the price range have a strip down the middle of the top running the full length of the battery. Judicious application of a screwdriver, taking GREAT CARE TO AVOID ACID SPLASHES usually allows you to pull the strip up to reveal the open cells.