look out for this bloke

onionbargee

Featured Posts

Met a young bloke at Tring said he was paddling his canoe down th G.U, camping on the way, and on to Europe, for cha-ritee, he's got a load of junk bungied to the back of it, didn't seem a very well organised mission, i gave him an old windlass out of pity, probably hasn't got a BW key though, look out for him, and throw him a bit of bread or something !

You can't miss him he's got a huge afro.

I met him near Blisworth, he asked me if me was on the right canal for Milton Keynes!

I forgot to warn him about the tunnel but later met someone who said they'd seen him at Stoke Bruerne. Still don't know how he did it but I hope he didn't paddle through the tunnel!

Met a young bloke at Tring said he was paddling his canoe down th G.U, camping on the way, and on to Europe, for cha-ritee, he's got a load of junk bungied to the back of it, didn't seem a very well organised mission, i gave him an old windlass out of pity, probably hasn't got a BW key though, look out for him, and throw him a bit of bread or something !

You can't miss him he's got a huge afro.

Com-plete wanker.

Came across him on Saturday at Seabrook lock:

IMG_0571-L.jpg

Seemed a very nice chap, he told me that he was heading for Westgate on Sea then Mont Blanc!

Be quite a feat if he paddles that up Mont Blanc!unsure.png

Com-plete wanker.

Aren't you?

Great to see a young(er) person actually getting off their arse and applying themselves to a a devilish challenge.

Get's my vote, I hope he makes it.

The 1000s of people that said I could never tow a caravan to Nordkapp in Norway with my bubblecar just made it that much sweeter when I succeeded

Edited by Chop!

Aren't you?

Great to see a young(er) person actually getting off their arse and applying themselves to a a devilish challenge.

Get's my vote, I hope he makes it.

The 1000s of people that said I could never tow a caravan to Nordkapp in Norway with my bubblecar just made it that much sweeter when I succeeded

Wasnt Omali commenting on his percieved onanistic actions of the op?

I,d say just before stockley park,just after jon guest and before the old ironbridge, just a guess

Stockley park, just south of west drayton. ( medal please )

Good luck to him i say.

His hair style will keep him afloat across the channel if nothing else !

it is a kayak!

Specifically it is a 1970s slalom racing kayak, designed for writhing gracefully through the gates of an Olympic wild water course. Probably the most unsuitable type of kayak imaginable for such an expedition!

But he has built himself a load platform that is supported by outriggers which will make the whole thing much more stable

He is taking a risk, no doubt about it, but the outriggers prove he is capable of thinking ahead. I reckon it bodes well for his ability to work out that he might need to stop because he is over-reaching himself.

I would like to see him wearing a life jacket on rougher water though

But he has built himself a load platform that is supported by outriggers which will make the whole thing much more stable

He is taking a risk, no doubt about it, but the outriggers prove he is capable of thinking ahead. I reckon it bodes well for his ability to work out that he might need to stop because he is over-reaching himself.

I would like to see him wearing a life jacket on rougher water though

A popular misconception - while a wider boat is more stable on flat water, as soon as there is any chop a wide kayak (or canoe) is significantly less stable. This is because a wide boat has to follow the shape of the waves. That is acceptable for say a Dutch Barge because the centre of gravity is low but the centre of gravity of a kayak is at a point equivalent to the top of the mast. A thin boat ignores the shape of waves and remains upright in all conditions, just ask any Inuit why his kayak is hip thin!

This lad's contraption will be wiped out long before he even reaches the tideway :-(

it is a kayak!

Specifically it is a 1970s slalom racing kayak, designed for writhing gracefully through the gates of an Olympic wild water course. Probably the most unsuitable type of kayak imaginable for such an expedition!

But is it any less suiable than what we encountered someone in on a similar trip last year?

http://sickleandchalice.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/continuing-to-clck-up-those-final-miles.html

IMG_3188.JPG

But is it any less suiable than what we encountered someone in on a similar trip last year?

It is low volume to enable it to dip under slalom gates, so it will go under even the smallest waves, boat washes and general chop. It is designed to turn on a sixpence, so it is an absolute tedium to keep it going in a straight line. It is designed to lift up onto a plane in an explosive burst of energy between gates, so in a cruise it sinks down into the water is drags something awful.

It is low volume to enable it to dip under slalom gates, so it will go under even the smallest waves, boat washes and general chop. It is designed to turn on a sixpence, so it is an absolute tedium to keep it going in a straight line. It is designed to lift up onto a plane in an explosive burst of energy between gates, so in a cruise it sinks down into the water is drags something awful.

Is that the Kayak or the bath?boat.gif