rust hole,,,help!!

Featured Posts

thanks for all your quick replies folks.......I think we could be talking hubby round to our way of thinking!! The engineer said the engine has been modified to rev high so that it ticks over as one of the cylinders is poorly. That's why he advised a bmc..he thinks this would add value to the boat?? originally the boat had a keel cooled engine in so the skin tanks are in situ. would you all still advise a overhaul on the lister in this situation?

Yes - but I have to declare an interest. I rebuild Lister gearboxes and engines for a living

Our boat has a BMC 1.8, I can't see that being a positive selling point for a boat so it won't add value. A modern engine would, and it will cost a lot more to purchase and install

Richard

Why on earth would you put an out of date taxi engine in your boat, at a cost of several thousend pounds?

smiley_offtopic.gif

An oft stated myth!

The BMC almost invariably used in canal boats is the "B series" 1.5 or 1.8 litre engine.......

It has never been used in a taxi, and the bigger engine that is used in taxis is a different beast altogether.

(Had you said Sherpa van, though, you would have been fine!)

I'd go for rebuilding the Lister, personally, although one of my boats is BMC powered, (the other being a Lister).

The engineer said the engine has been modified to rev high so that it ticks over as one of the cylinders is poorly. That's why he advised a bmc..he thinks this would add value to the boat??

Well that's quite a sense of humour your engineer has!

Or he has a BMC for sale.... :)

MtB

smiley_offtopic.gif

An oft stated myth!

The BMC almost invariably used in canal boats is the "B series" 1.5 or 1.8 litre engine.......

It has never been used in a taxi, and the bigger engine that is used in taxis is a different beast altogether.

(Had you said Sherpa van, though, you would have been fine!)

I'd go for rebuilding the Lister, personally, although one of my boats is BMC powered, (the other being a Lister).

As also used in the later Morris Minor, Oxford, MG B etc etc.

Fix the Lister ( as used in all the ships lifeboats in days of yore. Difficult to hand start at -15 deg C though)

Edited by jelunga

Hi Starry, you can get black sealant from Screwfix, wet or dry surface goes by the name of "Roofers Mate Lead sealant" made by Geocel cost is about £6-00 or Sikaflex do a black sealant for about £8-00, various others on their website.

Phil

i've used both of those,and the sikaflex is much much better.

I got sikaflex EBT in black from Travis Perkins

As also used in the later Morris Minor, Oxford, MG B etc etc.

Errm, no!

I don't think you would have found even a B-series petrol engine in a Moggy Minor, (ever), and certainly not a diesel one.

I did hear of someone having put one in an MGB, but I think they were probably certified shortly after.

I'm not sure the B-series diesel made it into any of the BMC cars at all, to be honest.

It does have some link to "Waterways" use, though!

Sherpa_001.jpg

I was talking about the BMC series B engine in general, I. E. both petrol and diesel. The series B was fitted to Minors Abd Ixfords but in petrol versions. I know. I had both cars! (But not from new. I am not as old as you Alan.

Thank you all for your comments and advise...you have all been a great help to us. We have managed to talk hubby into fixing the lister between us. YAY!! Good job the hull was sound or my contingency fund may already have been eaten up!! lol.

jelunga.... PM sent.

Mike... The engineer that advised the bmc told us that previously the engine has been modified to rev high due to the poorly cylinder but he has no time to fix/replace the engine until winter! boo-hoo!!

I also just wanted to say....I know shes a old boat with a old engine and we should have done things properly to begin with but im in love with her anyway!!!

Thanks again folks.

Debbie