Forum Software Update

DHutch

Featured Posts

It is black writing on a white background on my screen

Richard

The quote are pretty grey on grey if im honest. I will be looking into higher contrast skin/theme options.

I have that set up as an add-on in my browser rather than as a forum feature

Richard

Ditto, I don't know if there is any forum support for it.

Is one of the problems double posting (unsure.png ?)

It is when your full of memory errors, at work, and posting from your phone in a low signal area!

Daniel

It is black writing on a white background on my screen

Richard

Same here - I'm not sure why people are complaining about the font/colours/theme it's perfectly OK on my PC and when I look at the full version on my tablet too.

I have that set up as an add-on in my browser rather than as a forum feature

Richard

So did I, but for some reason it doesn't seem to work anymore with the new forum software.

On my "to investigate" list.

Unless I'm missing something dead obvious, (probably!), then the button I have traditionally used to insert a hyperlink into a post no longer seems to allow you to give that link an alternative "user friendly" name, (or indeed to just unhelpfully call it "Linky!")

Hence I just see the full link name - like this.....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1Mex3LW5sJc/UEY-nSaGQ2I/AAAAAAAACd8/rT6wnky9Mj4/s1600/IMG_3188.JPG

(Except, of course, that once posted, it doesn't actually display the whole thing anyway .....)

Edited by alan_fincher

Unless I'm missing something dead obvious, (probably!), then the button I have traditionally used to insert a hyperlink into a post no longer seems to allow you to give that link an alternative "user friendly" name, (or indeed to just unhelpfully call it "Linky!")

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1Mex3LW5sJc/UEY-nSaGQ2I/AAAAAAAACd8/rT6wnky9Mj4/s1600/IMG_3188.JPG

I don't think you are missing it - it does seem to have gone, but some curious additions have appeared including 'link to an anchor in the text' which at first I thought you could highlight some text and then click in the 'link' button to add a URL and make it clicky but it doesn't seem to work like that, not sure what it does.

(Except, of course, that once posted, it doesn't actually display the whole thing anyway .....)

Linky (to rhyme with...)

Just checking - Should not the first URL have a ] after it?

Nope, try it just a quoted, that is a copy paste from the link you see. The ] to end the opening "url" is after the url string.

Of course it would be nice to know how to make selected text in a post be an anchor so the option on insert link can be used.

Edited by john6767

Nope, try it just a quoted, that is a copy paste from the link you see. The ] to end the opening "url" is after the url string.

Of course it would be nice to know how to make selected text in a post be an anchor so the option on insert link can be used.

ah right I see now where the other ] is....

I too can't see a way how to use that anchor thing, highlighting doesn't do it, nor does right clicking and there isn't a button to do it on the toolbar to do it either... strange one...

Yes,.another member has reported this also, as you say it will truncate long urls, but given no easy way to add custom text, I have always typed the bb code (sad our what) which still works, but I will look into it as it must be a know issue.

Daniel

Yes,.another member has reported this also, as you say it will truncate long urls, but given no easy way to add custom text, I have always typed the bb code (sad our what) which still works, but I will look into it as it must be a know issue.

Daniel

It can be done quite easily, just type the name you want, then select the text you've just typed, THEN click on the URL button, and past in the URL to the dialog box.

Here is a link to Google UK

Here is a link to Canalworld forums! smile.png

BTW out of interest what was the magic setting that solved the memory errors?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Daniel

Daniel works for me... type word, select it, press link button, enter URL

hold down the Ctrl key and resize using the middle mouse wheel.

Richard

I was going to suggest that but when I tried on my PC it doesn't seem to change the overall forum width, rather just the font size and the posts within it.....

Ahh indeed, that work... crafty!

Yes that is an interesting one from a UI design perspective, very simple to do when you get it, but the anchor option leads you down the incorrect path. But it work better than the old version once you know how it works.

Once I have read the newest post in a thread, or posted in it, the button or star at the left is greyed out and doesn't work for me so I have to start at the beginning of a thread. This can be tedious, is there a way round it?

Tim