Forum Software Update

DHutch

Featured Posts

Indeed, combined with the fact there are a host of other reasons why running three year old unsupported software is ill advised. Such as security risks, and the fact there have been improvements to the software suite.

We held onto 3.1 for as long as we could, having leapfrogged 3.0, but am update was inevitable and this was deemed a suitable time to carry it out.

We are currently working on the issue of the fatal memory allocation errors.

Daniel

Indeed, combined with the fact there are a host of other reasons why running three year old unsupported software is ill advised. Such as security risks, and the fact there have been improvements to the software suite.

We held onto 3.1 for as long as we could, having leapfrogged 3.0, but am update was inevitable and this was deemed a suitable time to carry it out.

We are currently working on the issue of the fatal memory allocation errors.

Daniel

Is one of the problems double posting (unsure.png ?)

It may be because I am currently suffering lots of errors but there are a couple of observations I would like to make.

1. In the past when I have clicked on "new content" I have been presented with a list of all posts from the last several hours. Now it only seems to show any posts since I was last on the page perhaps only seconds ago. I find this a big disadvantage as I was in the habit of using this facility to ensure I at least saw the title of the threads where there was activity. Now I can be presented with a longish list (say first visit in the morning) I read one thread and all the others have disappeared.

2. In the past when I revisited a thread (because of new posts) I was automatically taken to the first unread post. Now it seems to start on post number 1 what ever. This can be a pain if the thread is long, particularly as there no longer seems to be a "last" button to take you to the last page.

It may be because I am currently suffering lots of errors but there are a couple of observations I would like to make.

1. In the past when I have clicked on "new content" I have been presented with a list of all posts from the last several hours. Now it only seems to show any posts since I was last on the page perhaps only seconds ago. I find this a big disadvantage as I was in the habit of using this facility to ensure I at least saw the title of the threads where there was activity. Now I can be presented with a longish list (say first visit in the morning) I read one thread and all the others have disappeared.

If you look to the left of the New Contents page you will see a lot of options of how to view them.

Haven't sussed the second one yet.

(This will likely be a multiple post as the first attempt has failed)

If you look to the left of the New Contents page you will see a lot of options of how to view them.

Haven't sussed the second one yet.

(This will likely be a multiple post as the first attempt has failed)

The dot (or star) to the left of a topic will take you to the first new post

Richard

I have noticed that at the top of some newly opened threads, just to the left of "Reply to this topic" there is "go to first unread post". I'm using that when I can though I preferred the old software where this was done automatically

The dot (or star) to the left of a topic will take you to the first new post

Richard

Thanks Richard

I am getting a lot of memory allocation errors.

The mobile version has a button for the full version, but I can't see how to get from the full vertsion to the mobile. So now, both my laptop and my Blackberry are set to the full version, and I can't get back!

I am currently viewing "New Content - Content I have not read". The problem is that this seems to list only threads with posts I have not read. So if I open a thread to view new content and then close that thread, it seems to disappear from the face of the earth until someone else posts on that thread, or I have to go looking for it from the main forum home page. How do I get the listing I used to see with threads with new content in bold font , and threads without new content in light font?

David

The mobile version has a button for the full version, but I can't see how to get from the full vertsion to the mobile. So now, both my laptop and my Blackberry are set to the full version, and I can't get back!

On the full version it's now called 'Change Theme - it's bottom left of the forum, try scrolling down to see it on the mobile version.

The new layout isn't too bad.

One thing I much preferred about the old layout, was that the quoted text was in black on a very light green background, with a slightly darker green background header. I did find this much easier to read than the new way. (I do hate black on grey text with a passion! sad.png It may suit the latest shiny iDevice but for me it just makes the text harder to read.)

Also the text showing the post time, the sig, profile, report and edit info is a light grey on a slightly lighter background which looks very feint on my monitor.

I'm sure the immediate priority is to fix the memory errors, after that I wonder if Dan is open to tweaking the new theme where people want it. I see there's a 'change theme' link at the bottom of the page, in the longer term would it be easy enough to make a 'classic' theme that retains some of the advantages of the old forum?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Thanks. I assumed "Change Theme" would alter the forum colours and fonts etc.

Ditto -

I fancied a look to see what other options there were but it's only to change from the mobile to full version.

Thanks for the advice which has solved my reading problems (yes I know I should have learned years ago).

Perhaps somebody can help with my current problem.

I wanted to post a reply so I dutifully clicked on quote edited to leave just the bit I was commenting on and then couldn't click outside the quote box to add my comment.

Ideas.

Perhaps somebody can help with my current problem.

I wanted to post a reply so I dutifully clicked on quote edited to leave just the bit I was commenting on and then couldn't click outside the quote box to add my comment.

Ideas.

Are you certain? it works for me

- you might need to use the scroll bar on the right to move the previous post you have quoted and edited up a bit so you can click in the white bit underneath and start typing.

Loving the new forum software, im not experiencing any memory errors, has this issue been fixed?

They are getting less frequent than they were when the forum first came back up after the paint job.

It's a while now since I had one anyway.

(Which of course means they will immediately start again)

ed - which they did....

Edited by The Dog House

This just to advise the crew that I encountered several "Fatal error/out of memory" messages when trying to open this thread at 1630ish.

Does anybody know what is going on?

Also took three attempts to reply........

This just to advise the crew that I encountered several "Fatal error/out of memory" messages when trying to open this thread at 1630ish.

Also took three attempts to reply........

I had the fatal memory error yesterday, but this thread loaded OK. I'm just trying a post. I like the new colour scheme. The topic preview facility would be good, if available (like on the yottie-motor-bottie or the norfolk-broads forums).

Change is never easy Dan. Well done.

Edited to say - my reply loaded ok too

Edited by Rob@BSSOffice