carbon monoxide alarm

Whitewater

Featured Posts

My carbon monoxide alarm went off as my kabola wasn't burning properly. It seems the internal ring has slipped down so just produces a yellow flame. Any one else had a similar problem or is it just mine . Also the heat resistant paint had flaked off the top within the first week of it being fitted. I might switch back to a coal fire

My carbon monoxide alarm went off as my kabola wasn't burning properly. It seems the internal ring has slipped down so just produces a yellow flame. Any one else had a similar problem or is it just mine . Also the heat resistant paint had flaked off the top within the first week of it being fitted. I might switch back to a coal fire

Whitewater I'd be concerned because this indicates your flue is leaking combustion products into the boat, whether or not they contain CO.

Back in the day it was considered crucial to have a flue that works, rather than a CO alarm. Relying on a CO alarm is a risky strategy IMO. I suggest you get the flue looked at and tested, too.

MtB

I've got two CO alarms. One in the bedroom and one in the cabin where the stove is. I also have two smoke alarms - one in the bedroom and one at the far end of the boat (galley / dining area)

The CO alarms have only gone off twice. Once when I first had the stove installed and left a pot of warm ash on the back step. And once when moored next to the stinkiest-exhaust boat I've ever had the misfortune to have pull up in front of me. (They'd turn the engine on at 9pm and run it till after 11pm.... And the fumes would make me feel sick and give me headaches) and lo! The CO alarms agreed!

Never had my stove set off the alarm though. Better get your stove checked out. If one day the CO alarm packed in or accidentally got covered / overly dusty or a draught meant it didn't pick up on the CO... it could be bye-bye whitewater. :(

I've got two CO alarms. One in the bedroom and one in the cabin where the stove is. I also have two smoke alarms - one in the bedroom and one at the far end of the boat (galley / dining area)

The CO alarms have only gone off twice. Once when I first had the stove installed and left a pot of warm ash on the back step. And once when moored next to the stinkiest-exhaust boat I've ever had the misfortune to have pull up in front of me. (They'd turn the engine on at 9pm and run it till after 11pm.... And the fumes would make me feel sick and give me headaches) and lo! The CO alarms agreed!

Never had my stove set off the alarm though. Better get your stove checked out. If one day the CO alarm packed in or accidentally got covered / overly dusty or a draught meant it didn't pick up on the CO... it could be bye-bye whitewater. sad.gif

What she said...

Whitewater I'd be concerned because this indicates your flue is leaking combustion products into the boat, whether or not they contain CO.

Back in the day it was considered crucial to have a flue that works, rather than a CO alarm. Relying on a CO alarm is a risky strategy IMO. I suggest you get the flue looked at and tested, too.

MtB

...and what he said

Good advice from BSP and MtB

Always deal with the source of the risk - by proper installation od appliances, routine maintenance and use them as per the instructions.

Always have one or more CO alarms as the belt and braces back-up - test them weekly when aboard

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/carbon-monoxide-(co)

PS, never bring charcoal BBQs into covered areas of boats unless and until they are stone cold to the touch

I know someone that had a rat on their old boat, so he lit a bucketfull of oily rags in it to smoke it out, it didn't so he got a cat and that wasn't interested in the rat, so he sold the rat complete with the boat. I now have the cat.