Runcorn Arm

Pete of Ebor

Featured Posts

Thinking of doing The Runcorn Arm on the final night of our trip in May. It's convenient as it's only about 1.5 hours to the boatyard (Claymoore) next morning, but more important, it is new track to us ! Any recommendations as to where to wind & moor. I assume we can wind a 70' boat at the winding hole marked in Nicholson's at Waterloo Bridge... Are there decent moorings - or any spots to be avoided.. Are there any decent pubs in Runcorn where we could obtain some rehydration therapy after investigating the old lock flight ? Note: decent = not family orientated eateries, but proper pubs with some decent ales on...

Plenty of pubs in old Runcorn,including the Waterloo,at Top Locks.Plenty of room to wind at Top Locks.Interesting walk down the old line of locks,short walk around blockage.Moor at Preston Brook or Top Locks.Suggest looking at Top Locks on Google Earth if you can,to orientate yourself.Where the two flight joined below the railway bridge is now a grassy area,but the origional cottages remain.Small housing estate built on the site of the new flight.Bridgewater house is still standing at the bottom of the old flight.The entrance to the dock complex and the old flight can still be seen.Apart from this and the old fight stonework there is not much left.You might be lucky and catch somebody from the Bridgewater Motor Boat Club at Sprinch yard,to see if you can moor on one of their moorings overnight?

• 4 weeks later...

we enjoyed the runcorn arm last year, we winded at the end quite easily but think we may have upset some fishermen who where all sat by mooring rings!

To be honest we had gone other way to Anderton 1st (pre breach) and then headed onto bridgewater doing the runcorn arm 1st. So we stayed our final night quite near the science campus (on main branch) but still surrounded by fields and the cows came down to drink by the canal, beautiful! The rucorn arm surprised us, really enjoyed it, make sure you have your camera to hand at all times as there are some great views of the bridge!

I vaguely remember the end of the canal being not quite full width as promised in the Pearson's guide, so winding a large boat might be troublesome. I think it was due to moored boats. There was a gap where one was normally moored but empty, so I chose that gap to wind the (57 foot) boat in and it was no issues. Whether you'd need the entire width with a similar gap right at the end, I can't remember. I'm sure Claymoore will be able to advise more accurately if you ask them when you're setting off or beforehand.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let folks know, we winded Consol Forge (67') easily at the end of the arm despite there being another boat mored just opposite where we wanted to turn. Luckily there was an empty pontoon opposite which we could put the bow into. Without the empty pontoon and with the other boat there, we might not have managed it...

PS I know the spelling is wrong, but that's what's painted on the boat !

PPS The pub at Waterloo Bridge (The Waterloo) was closed and boarded up, though there were some lights on inside when we came back to the boat at 11:30pm

Edited by Pete of Ebor

• 2 weeks later...

we went down the runcorn branch again last week, in the sunshine, moored near the park and had a picnic before cruising to the end, turning and coming back, i can count on one hand how many other moving boats we saw which is a pity as some of it particularly near the junction is lovely! We did see quite a few large dead fish though, not sure why?!

Technically, or pedantically, it's not the Runcorn arm.

It's the main line of the canal, the arm is the Preston Brook arm which leads to the tunnel and junction with Trent & Mersey canal.

Tim

Where exactly is the junction between the Bridgewater and the T&M ?

North end of Preston Brook tunnel.

It used to be said by some that the exact spot is where the Preston Brook crosses the canal, which is just a few yards into the tunnel. I've even heard it suggested that the tunnel was extended slightly at one time.

I think BW have assumed responsibility for the whole length of the tunnel for a long time, no idea of the technicalities or history or whether this was just a myth.

Tim

ETA that it's original name was 'Preston Tunnel'

Edited by Timleech

North end of Preston Brook tunnel.

It used to be said by some that the exact spot is where the Preston Brook crosses the canal, which is just a few yards into the tunnel. I've even heard it suggested that the tunnel was extended slightly at one time.

I think BW have assumed responsibility for the whole length of the tunnel for a long time, no idea of the technicalities or history or whether this was just a myth.

Tim

ETA that it's original name was 'Preston Tunnel'

Tim, I was always under the impression that Dutton stop lock divided the The Bridgewater and the Trent and Mersey, however if anyone should know you should. I had the pleasure of watching Jack Taylors boat OWL in the Weaver on Monday, first time I've seen her for twenty years. he was my uncle. have you still got the dry dock?.

Tim, I was always under the impression that Dutton stop lock divided the The Bridgewater and the Trent and Mersey, however if anyone should know you should. I had the pleasure of watching Jack Taylors boat OWL in the Weaver on Monday, first time I've seen her for twenty years. he was my uncle. have you still got the dry dock?.

AFAIK Dutton stop lock is simply placed anomalously, obviously it would be a right pain in the arse to put a lock inside a tunnel. I know some do exist which are more/less underground, but that's because they're in cities/towns and the 'tunnel' is due to large buildings over the canal.

Just to let people know that The Waterloo pub has been converted into a Buddhist Temple.

Did you know that the Waterloo was the pub that featured in the TV comedy "Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps".

Runcorn Waterloo and Top Locks in 1920.

Waterloo1_zps49f61ff1.jpg

Waterloo2_zpsb7f8768e.jpg

WaterlooampTopLocks_zps1b33ccee.jpg

I realise this is an old topic, but the following 1896 maps showing Dukes's from delph bridge at Runcorn and the old and new flights of locks from the Waterloo pound. The first map shows what amounts to an island housing Sprinch's yard and graving docks along with a saw mill and the Albion boat yard further round, plenty of boatbuilding and repairs to wooden boats in those days.

runcorn2_zps520d1a6c.jpg

runcorn1_zpsf333beb4.jpg

Where exactly is the junction between the Bridgewater and the T&M ?

Thanks to Roger Evans of the 'Trent & Mersey Canal Society who kindly provided the following information.

The junction of the Trent and Mersey Canal with the Bridgewater Canal is actually located about 6-10 yards inside the northern end of Preston Brook Tunnel, and is roughly marked by the "0" milepost on the towpath above the tunnel mouth.

Originally the junction was at the northern end of the tunnel, but the tunnel was extended slightly when the tunnel keeper's house was built.

Basically the T&M built the tunnel, but the Bridgewater built the branch canal from the tunnel entrance to the junction (almost under the M56 now) with their main line, as a way of getting more mileage income and ensuring that all the warehouses at Preston Brook would have to pay them.

I think that one reason for extending the tunnel was to allow the brook to flow over the canal rather than into it at the tunnel mouth, as quite a lot of silt was being deposited. The feed into the canal was then moved further towards Preston Brook where the brook was flowing more slowly and thus it was easier to keep the silt out of the canal.

• 5 years later...

We went to Runcorn in the car over winter to explore the old locks and walked a bit at the end of the canal, a few visiting boats moored outside the theatre/arts centre. What we saw looked surprisingly pleasant, might take the boat down in a week or two. Winding a 70 footer looks like it might be a challenge. Sadly the lovely looking huge pub at the end is now a Buddist centre, or was it a Sikh temple, whatever I suspect there is no beer.

................Dave

40 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

Has anyone travelled to Runcorn recently?

I am interested inbetween the junction with Preston Brook near Claymoore hire boats and Runcorn.

Is it a pleasurable cruise ?

Pearson book suggest  it isn't.

Thanks 

Yes, do it. I went down a few years ago and a local walker said they had never seen a boat moving down there before! As mentioned above, the walk down the old locks at the end is very interesting.

• Happy 1

22 hours ago, rgreg said:

Yes, do it. I went down a few years ago and a local walker said they had never seen a boat moving down there before! As mentioned above, the walk down the old locks at the end is very interesting.

They mustold not get out a lot then, I go up there twice a month and there's a fairly large and active cruising club at the Runcorn end, with active members who are always out boating.

Thanks to all for your information.

Travelled down to Runcorn today. No issues. Moored up at theatre, had lunch and travelled onto the Trent & Mersey.

As discussed there are plenty of mooring rings outside theatre and shops nearby.

Walked down to the promenade to view Manchester Ship Canal and the Mersey.

Only saw one other narrowboat on the move. As discussed above there is plenty of boats moored up. 

A few people fishing along the canal. 

For me and my better half it was worth travelling down.